Students

XP: Date Drama!

The one thing my FI and I have been set on from the beginning was the venue, and we recently decided when we actually want to tie the knot, summer of 2013.  I thought we had plenty of time, but I called the venue ASAP anyway, only to find out that they had only two Friday night dates open.  One is the last day of instruction for two of my Bridesmaids.  The other is Friday of their Finals week. 

They swear I should just go with the the finals week Friday, and that they will be able to move any finals they have on that day if they talk to the teachers in advance. Have any of you heard of such a thing? should I go ahead and book that date, or should I just plan my wedding for winter instead? (i'm a student at a different school, as are most of my friends, so our time options are summer and winter)

Re: XP: Date Drama!

• edited January 2012
    I've had friends who were in a wedding party during finals and the school would not accomodate them at all. Finals are regulated by the university, so the prof has no flexibility. I wouldn't take the chance.

The only exception was when I was studying at my school's campus in England and the prof let a student fly home to North America for a weekend for his sister's wedding.

How about spring break?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_xp-date-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:4d6745b5-51fb-4b68-b2a8-2a017859b6bePost:1f196a4d-4c0a-4e4e-8743-ba8b22de9c61">Re: XP: Date Drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had friends who were in a wedding party during finals and the school would not accomodate them at all. Finals are regulated by the university, so the prof has no flexibility. I wouldn't take the chance. The only exception was when I was studying at my school's campus in England and the prof let a student fly home to North America for a weekend for his sister's wedding. How about spring break?
    Posted by petite+engineer[/QUOTE]

That's what I was afraid of.  Unfortunately we all have different spring breaks, if they were on spring break, I would be in school.  It's a mess :/
  • how quickly can they hear back from a their professors about the dates and finals, and how soon do you need to know for the venue? 

while finals are assigned by the university sometimes the professors can themselves set up special exceptions. I know they have at my Univerisity. 

I'd say if your bridesmaids can know for sure from their professors if they can re-arrange their finals schedule to make it on the date you want well before when the venue needs to hear from you I'd say go for it. If, they cannot get an answer to you by the time the venue needs to hear back from you then I think you may need to plan for winter. 

Best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like Bay, my university's registrar sets exam times but professors willl often be willing to let you take it early if you need to leave.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• I think we're just going to do it in July, and hope the weather isn't too hot.  I don't want to risk one of my bridesmaids having a strict professor who won't accommodate them.  Maybe their professors are great and let them move it, but maybe they get one with a chip on their shoulder, who won't see a wedding as a 'good reason'.  Thanks for the advice guys!
  • I'd assume that most professors would be accommodating but I think you're making a smart move by having the wedding in July. It's just safer!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_xp-date-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:4d6745b5-51fb-4b68-b2a8-2a017859b6bePost:1f196a4d-4c0a-4e4e-8743-ba8b22de9c61">Re: XP: Date Drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had friends who were in a wedding party during finals and the school would not accomodate them at all. <strong>Finals are regulated by the university, so the prof has no flexibility.</strong> I wouldn't take the chance. The only exception was when I was studying at my school's campus in England and the prof let a student fly home to North America for a weekend for his sister's wedding. How about spring break?
    Posted by petite+engineer[/QUOTE]

<div>This isn't always true.  I moved all of my finals up a week because we chose our date based on the "projected calendar" and then they changed it after we'd already set everthing.  Of course, instead of being the Saturday after finals, our wedding ended up being the Saturday before finals.  All of my profs were very understanding and let me take everything early.  I did go to a small school, though, which definitely helped.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards