Illinois-Chicago

Newbie to the board

I just got engaged on Christmas Eve and wanted to share my proposal story (and introduce myself to the board since I have a feeling I'll be posting a lot - I've been lurking for ages!)

I had to work Christmas Eve morning.  My parents were having a Christmas party at our house so I took the train out to the suburbs where my then-still boyfriend picked me up.  When we got back to my house, my mom wasn't home, which he explained was because she had to run to the store.  As I walked into the house, I started walking into the living room near the Christmas tree to put down my work bag.  When I got a little closer, he asked me what the ornament on the tree was that still had a tag on it.  I figured my mom just bought a new ornament that she forgot to take the tag off of.  I looked at the tag and it had my name on it and it said "turn around."  Totally not understanding what was going on, I turned the tag over.  It said "turn around" on the other side too.  So finally I spin around, still completely clueless as to what is going on, and when I did, my boyfriend was down on one knee, telling me he loved me and asking him to marry him.   The ornament on the tree was an Eiffel Tower ornament, and the significance of that stems from when I was in high school, I saw two people get engaged on top of the Eiffel Tower and always said I thought it would be romantic to get engaged there...so he said it wasn't quite Paris but it was the best he could do right now, which was completely fine with me!  I have never been more surprised by anything in my life, which is exactly what I always said I wanted out of a proposal.  It was a fantastic day and made even better because we were able to celebrate with our families and friends that night. 

Also a back story to getting the ring - so my fiance decided that he was planning on proposing and went down to Jeweler's Row about 3 weeks ago.  The jeweler promised it would be ready for Christmas.  He suggested having the ring shipped out of state to save on sales tax.  My mom (who had been in on the whole thing) suggested having it shipped to a friend of hers in Cali who regularly has expensive jewelery shipped to my mom for the same reason.  Instead of going out on Monday like it was supposed to, the jeweler didn't ship it out until Tuesday.  By mid-day Wednesday, the ring still hadn't arrived at my mom's friends, so she decided to go try to find it and had her housekeeper waiting at home to sign for the package if it arrived.  There was a UPS truck she always saw at a strip mall near her house, so she stops there, parks behind the UPS truck and goes into every store there asking if the UPS man was there.  She finally found him, tells him he has a package she needs, but he checked his truck and it was on his supervisor's truck!  She gets him to figure out where his supervisor is, tracks that truck down and flags him down on the street.  She finally got the ring and turned around to ship it back to Chicago.  It arrived around 9:00 am on Christmas Eve morning, just in time!  Poor guy had been up at 4:00 the past two mornings tracking the package because he was so worried it wouldn't make it!

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share.  Looking forward to getting to know you ladies! 

Re: Newbie to the board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards