Snarky Brides
Options

What are you reading right now?

Please tell.

I just finished reading the lovely bones, I forget who suggested it to me (someone after I said I liked the movie), but I really liked it.

Re: What are you reading right now?

• Options
    Atlas Shrugged.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I loved the Lovely Bones.

I'm reading Bonfire of the Vanities.  About 2/3rds of the way through and I really like it.
  • Options
    I finished some trashy novel on the road called Dreamboat or someshit last week, and I felt I needed to cleanse myself from bad writing, so I started Pride and Prejudice. I freakin love Austen. Everything in my life calms and straightens itself when I read Austen.
  • Options
    right now, this second, I am reading investment statements. I wish I had time to read a book. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffrey Deaver (it's a mystery/suspense).  And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I don't have much time to read, so I don't need to make my brain work too terribly hard when I do.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    61 Hours by Lee Child - awesome thriller but part of a series about a character named Jack Reacher.....I would start at the beginning

Death by Diamond- Annette Blair.  Cute murder mystery but very light hearted with some psychic stuff thrown in

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici: A Novel.....just started this one

So far very much enjoying them all.....
  • Options
    Rules of Vengeance by Christopher Reich. Its the sequel to Rules of Engagement.

I started a book on our wedding week that was at the beachouse we rented called Even Steven by John Gilstrap. I didn't get to finish it so when I got home I tried to find it, but it had to be ordered. So I ordered it from Amazon on June 4th. It's still not here. And it's driving me crazy. I was almost done!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:9e120c6f-9c0b-4cf2-bd95-198a5a32931c">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Atlas Shrugged.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]

I tried really hard to read Atlas Shrugged a couple months ago but I just didn't have enough time so I was making no progress.  I'll have to give it another shot once I have more reading time.
  • Options
    I recently read White Teeth by Zadie Smith. It came out awhile ago, so you've likely already read it if you're a fan of postmodernism, but I really recommend it if you're looking for a book that will inspire great discussion.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I want to read atlas shrugged but it is so big and big = expensive, so I keep putting it off for somewhat smaller (cheaper) books. I REALLY enjoyed the fountainhead, so I assume I would enjoy atlas shrugged.
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Paperback - Crossroads of Twilight (book 10 in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - RIP)
    Kindle - The Stand - Stephen King
    Audiobook (not really reading, but still a book) - The World Without Us and Watership Down (which I'm loving)
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dirty Sexy Knitting (don't judge me!) by Christie Ridgway. It's actually pretty good, and not trashy.
  • Options
    I've honestly had a hard time getting through it. My dad is a big reader and it's his favorite. I enjoy it, but it's not exactly a edge of your seat type book.

Nebb, I bought a paperback copy. It wasn't too bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Raynes, I so miss Robert Jordan :'(  Wheel of Time has always been one of my favorite series. I wish he'd been able to finish it.
  • Options
    Nebb, I think you should check out Jeffrey Deaver.  Since you like Stephen King and all, I feel like you'd enjoy his books too.  He has some that are kind of a series and some that aren't.  I find the series ones better than ones outside the series.

• Options
    The Lovely Bones messed me up bad. I'm reading Invisible by Paul Auster. It's...weird.
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    Stupid jerk going and dying before the finished.  At least he told people the story.  Have you read anything by Brandon Sanderson?  I'm only a book and a half away from starting The Gathering Storm.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:124c0a86-8ecd-47c9-a44a-f14e386865d9">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nebb, I think you should check out Jeffrey Deaver.  Since you like Stephen King and all, I feel like you'd enjoy his books too.  He has some that are kind of a series and some that aren't.  I find the series ones better than ones outside the series.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I will have to check him out, I have been interested in drifting away from stephen king lately. I feel like ive read everything im interested in reading of his that is easily accessible to me.

Ive been enjoying Philippa Gregory lately though, shes good.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:92b15b95-261f-40a9-98c3-2d696dd94261">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading right now? : I will have to check him out, I have been interested in drifting away from stephen king lately. I feel like ive read everything im interested in reading of his that is easily accessible to me. Ive been enjoying Philippa Gregory lately though, shes good.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

If you do, start with The Bone Collector.

• Options
    I saw the Lovely Bones movie, too and liked it.

I downloaded Never Wave Goodbye last night and so far, the first chapter is intriguing.

I'm reading The Search for the Green River Killer by John Reichert, and right after that is a Jeffery Deaver novel, Burning Wires.  I second J&K's recommendation for those books.

I want to find the book Evidence of Love, by John Bloom. It's the basis for the movie A Killing in a Small Town, and it's a true story. The weird part is that John Bloom is apparently the real name of Joe Bob Briggs.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I'm reading House of Leaves. It's a little weird but I'm enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    I'm going to be starting Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy soon. DH and my BFF are huge Robert Jordan fans, and so they started reading Sanderson to get a "feel" for whether or not they deem him worthy to take up the mantle (They do). They wound up loving the trilogy and have been bugging me forever to give it a chance.

Working my way through "The Last Arguement of Kings" by Joe Abercrombie, "Suck It, Wonder Woman" by Olivia Munn, and finishing up my second reading of the Night Angels Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I don't have much free time to read either.  I enjoyed Fountainhead but I could never get into Atlas Shrugged and stopped a few chapters in.  But that was back when I was in high school and I was only reading it so I could write a paper for a scholarship.  So I think my motivation wasn't exactly there since I didn't have to read it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:16f64ac7-c94e-442e-944d-ea86cddb9083">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I finished some trashy novel on the road called Dreamboat or someshit last week, and I felt I needed to cleanse myself from bad writing, so I started Pride and Prejudice. I freakin love Austen. Everything in my life calms and straightens itself when I read Austen.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. I have a leather-bound [huge] book with all of her novels. Once I finish the last Harry Potter I'm back to Austen.
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:4aba6c44-fd8b-4332-8271-033e37125b87">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to be starting Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy soon. DH and my BFF are huge Robert Jordan fans, and so they started reading Sanderson to<strong> get a "feel" for whether or not they deem him worthy to take up the mantle (They do</strong>). They wound up loving the trilogy and have been bugging me forever to give it a chance. Working my way through "The Last Arguement of Kings" by Joe Abercrombie, "Suck It, Wonder Woman" by Olivia Munn, and finishing up my second reading of the Night Angels Trilogy by Brent Weeks.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

That makes me happy.  I had considered doing that same, but then decided that I'd be reading the books he finished anyways, 'cause, well, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!  *phew*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:0900717a-bd7b-4eb4-a9ac-b17bdf9715fc">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading right now? : I'm with you on that. I have a leather-bound [huge] book with all of her novels. Once I finish the last Harry Potter I'm back to Austen.
    Posted by arthomas82[/QUOTE]

I have that too, and I packed it! I was so pissed at myself when I discovered it is in a box at DH's. Thankfully, I was looking through my bookshelf and I found some random copy of P&P that my mom gave me years ago for Christmas, and there's even a sweet note from her on the inside cover. It makes me happy. :)
  • Options
    I was reading "Every Man Dies Alone" by Hans Fallada but then I left it on the plane.  It was good.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree, what a relief that Sanderson is doing a good job. At least Jordan left notes for the guy, so the story's the same ending as he would have wanted. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:f461cfd6-38da-41b9-8791-6bd8002905ca">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading right now? : That makes me happy.  I had considered doing that same, but then decided that I'd be reading the books he finished anyways, 'cause, well, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!  *phew*
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they really like him. They read the last WOT (The one the Sanderson put out) and they seemed pleased.

They been pushing for me to read WOT forever. I actually started it once, and I had such a hard time getting into the books (I think I made it through like 10 chapters of the first one) ... then Jordan announced he was sick, and I kind of said "I'm not putting myself through all of this if the series isn't going to get finished", so I've decided to wait it out until it's completely finished.

Fun Fact: my friend is one of the people that won this charity raffle on the website, so Brandon Sanderson is actually naming a character after her in the final book.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:26b0b719-a100-4234-afb4-17aca69e0d30Post:58ac5ea2-2957-47a7-a620-a047cd36963e">Re: What are you reading right now?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading right now? : Yeah, they really like him. They read the last WOT (The one the Sanderson put out) and they seemed pleased. They been pushing for me to read WOT forever. I actually started it once, and I had such a hard time getting into the books (I think I made it through like 10 chapters of the first one) ... then Jordan announced he was sick, and I kind of said "I'm not putting myself through all of this if the series isn't going to get finished", so I've decided to wait it out until it's completely finished. <strong>Fun Fact: my friend is one of the people that won this charity raffle on the website, so Brandon Sanderson is actually naming a character after her in the final book.</strong>
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

That is neat!  I would definitely recommend the series.  I found it kinda lags a bit around book 8 or so, and then there are certain plot lines that I just sorta find boring, but for the most part they're great.  At least he didn't get all preachy at the end like Goodkind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards