New Jersey - South

DO NOT BOOK AT SHANNON'S COUNTRY HOUSE IN ATCO

I apologize in advance, this is going to be a rather long post...but I want to get the word out to anyone even considering booking their wedding (or any function) at this place.  These guys were extremely friendly and helpful throughout the entire process....until our rehearsal dinner two nights before our wedding.  We booked the chapel room approximately nine months prior to our wedding, and when we arrived for our rehearsal, we were told that the chapel room had 'timing issues' and our service would now be held in our reception room.  What kind of business finds this out TWO DAYS PRIOR TO A COUPLE'S WEDDING, especially when it was booked NINE MONTHS PRIOR?!!  Both the father and son there (both named Jim) kept telling us 'its no problem, it'll be fine, its a timing issue'  When the father wasn't nearby, the son was blaming him...and vice versa.  They wouldn't give us a clear explanation other than 'timing issues'.  They curtained off half of our reception room with this dirty, dingy curtain for the service. 
I called the next day seeking a definitive answer as to what happened, the father was very rude and short with me (being as he already received our money), told me that another couple was using that room and 'what do you want me to do'.  I asked him how he came to the decision to inconvience us and not them, he told me their reception was being held in the larger service room, so he couldn't rearrange their room in time.  Funny thing is, we found out this wedding wasn't till 6, our service was at 3.  They had no problem rearranging our room in an hour for the reception, but couldn't allow us the room we paid for and booked nine months prior??  He started blaming his son again, I told him how they were both blaming each other, giving us a run around, and that I'd like to speak with his son and him together.  He said he'd have him call me the next day.....MY WEDDING DAY!!!  Are you kidding me?  I then asked if there was anything that could be done about the curtain dividing the room, it was a bit yellow and dirty looking.  He said to me 'I can take it down so your guests can just see half your reception room set up'  I said 'guess there really isn't anything you can do'  He said 'no, its done.  Have a good day'  and HUNG UP ON ME!! 
The day of our wedding, our best man had two bottles of alcohol in the bridal suite that were confiscated by the younger Jim.  We thought he'd get them back at the end of the night, we were never told we couldn't have our own bottles in the suite.  They weren't given back to him...because they put them behind the bar and were serving drinks with them!!  We couldn't find Jim most of the night, he seemed to have disappeared.  Speaking of disappeared....
When I went back to pick up the rest of my things a week after the wedding, they 'couldn't find' a number of items.  I had 6 glass jars and scoops for a candy buffet...that half of my guests didn't even see because they put it in a corner at the end of the night, never letting anyone know it was out.  I was returned 5 glass jars and no scoops.  I was told 'maybe a guest filled the jar with candy and left with it'.  I also had votives to be put in my 19 table numbers to illuminate them, as well as 36 other votives to be placed around the room for decoration.  NONE of the 55 total candles were put out, and they 'can't find' them either!  They gladly took them out of the tubs I labeled and provided, but now they are simply gone, never even used as asked.  This place does horrible business.  I left there yesterday and was told to call in the afternoon, they'd look around for my things.  When I called, the father said to me 'what do you want me to do, people give us thousands of things all the time, we can't keep track of it all'.  I said 'and we paid you THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, I would like you to find my missing items.  He got quiet with that comment, said he'd look again and 'I guess reimburse you'.  I called today, of course received a voicemail, asked them to call me back or I will just keep calling and coming in.  I guess they figure they received my money already, no need to be nice anymore.  DO NOT DO BUSINESS with these people!!!  Shannon's Country House should be ashamed of themselves for how they run their business.

Re: DO NOT BOOK AT SHANNON'S COUNTRY HOUSE IN ATCO

• edited December 2011
    This would  be conceived as a vendor bashing and you should really post this 'review' on the wedding channel site under vendor reviews. Thanks. http://local.weddingchannel.com/wedding-vendors

Just edit the post to get rid of it. (I am not the mod of this board so I can't delete for you)
  • DMB41loDMB41lo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't understand why it should be deleted?  IYes, its a review of the place, and yes I am bashing them....but they completely deserve everything I am saying.  If they did a good job, the review would be better.'m trying to get word out of the AWFUL service I was given, trying to let people know so they don't book there.  This is why I posted it under south jersey.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_not-book-shannons-country-house-atco?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:5756248a-e0a0-4187-9fe8-2a047e98fdfcPost:2b9b9d0c-bba0-4eed-bf69-78cbbbf9173d">Re: DO NOT BOOK AT SHANNON'S COUNTRY HOUSE IN ATCO</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand why it should be deleted?  IYes, its a review of the place, and yes I am bashing them....but they completely deserve everything I am saying.  If they did a good job, the review would be better.'m trying to get word out of the AWFUL service I was given, trying to let people know so they don't book there.  This is why I posted it under south jersey.
    Posted by DMB41lo[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry that this happened to you and I'd be pissed too.

Unfortunately the 'rule' here is that you can give a vendor all the praise in the world, but if you have something bad to say, take the time to post it on a whole different site. Sucks, doesn't it?

Don't worry, you'll probably get a few responses (if that b/c this board is slow anyway) of people giving you a stern talking to about bashing vendors on the board and then your post will be wisked away by the mod nazis... (sense my sarcasm here???)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I understand but it is just a rule on the knot.  All the reviews should go on the sister site, wedding channel, as I indicated in my original response.
  • DMB41loDMB41lo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help 2010Bride2be....I didn't know of this 'rule'.  Yeah, bit unfair and one sided to only be able to post good things about vendors.  Don't these brides who come on here deserve to know the truth, and not some candy coated version of it??  Bring on the stern talking to's, I'm only speaking of my honest experience and trying to help a few brides out!  LOVE the sarcasm:)  Good luck and happy planning for your wedding in 9 months!!
  • edited December 2011
    i am glad you posted this and totally think that vendor reviews...both negative or positive should be allowed......i wouldnt want anyone else to be in the OP shoes..its terrible...
    BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • Tula214Tula214 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i PMed you
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards