Catholic Weddings

How many readers?

How many readers are you going to have? We have 2 readings, the prayer of the faithful and a responsorial psalm. Would it be too much reading for just one person?

Also, who normally does the presentation of he gifts? My planner says that suggested choices are the B&G, parents, best man & maid of honor. Who did you or are you going to have do this?

Re: How many readers?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we didnt have readers or gift bearers, as the latin mass does not have these components (priest does all readings, and teh gifts are already on the altar).

however, at catholic weddings ive seen, its usually 2 readers, and then the gift bearers are often godparents, wedding party members or other important folks in the couple's lives.  ive never seen the bride and groom do it.  ever. 
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had a reader for the first reading, another reader for the second reading, and a third reader for the prayers of the faithful.  We had our singer sing the responsorial psalm.  We had my parents brign the gifts to the altar.  It's up to your preference, so however you want to do it, I'm sure it will turn out fine!

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4 readers - 1 each for the first and second reading, and 2 younger cousins shared the prayers of the faithful.

My godmother and his godmother were the gift bearers. I've also never seen the B&G do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose two readers. Some people choose a third to do the prayers of the faithful. Presentation of the gifts is usually another family.  Most people like to try to incorporate loved ones who aren't in the bridal party for these jobs.  
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our 2 godmothers do the 1st and 2nd readings and a good friend write/read our Prayers of the Faithful. Our response psalm was sung by the cantor. We had my godfather and my aunt bring up the gifts.
  • edited December 2011
    We had two readers. First and second readings. We couldn't find a third, so we asked if our priest would do the prayer of the faithful. And we had my grandparenst bring up the gifts. Response was sung by the vocalist.

There are many ways you could do it. If you only have one person that you want to read, you could ask them to do some of the readings ad the and/ or singer to help out with the rest.

My parents had the priest do everything. (But that was years ago) But if you can't find someone they might find a lector to help out.

Personally, I've never seen the bride and groom bring up the gifts. And if I went I went to a wedding that had one person do all of the spoken parts (r1, resp, r2, pof), it would be very noticible that they couldn't find someone else.
  • edited December 2011
    We had 2 readers. And 2 gift bearers which were my Godmother and H Grandma. The gift bearers have to be Catholic, the readers do not, even though ours were. My Mom is Catholic (but not practicing) so she was not a good choice for us to be a gift bearer. H Grandma is a devout Catholic and was my sponsor for RCIA, so it had meaning to us. Godmother, well, she is my Godmother. Our 2 readers were one friend from church who reads regulalary anyway and the other was a good guy friend of mine's wife.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had 3 readers (1st reading, 2nd reading and Prayer of the Faithful).  We had our cantor sing the Psalm.  My husband and I where the gift bearers, though I had originally suggested his parents, he wanted us to do it.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards