June 2012 Weddings

Who's having an outdoor ceremony?

And what time are you starting it?

I'm trying to finalize my invitations so I can order them, but I can't seem to decide when the ceremony should start.  Our venue coordinator said that a lot of couples like to have their ceremonies at sunset, but sunset won't be until almost 8:30 that day.  That seems really late, right?

So what's everyone else doing?

Re: Who's having an outdoor ceremony?

• 5:30 PM ceremony.  6:00 PM cocktail hour on the veranda/patio of the vineyard. :)
  • We are having our ceremony start at 6pm that way we can still get some great pictures.  When the sun begins to set we'll leave the reception (ie walk outside) for a few minutes to get some shots.

If you want the ceremony to start at 830 maybe do dinner first?
  • My outdoor ceremony is at either 5:30 or 6. It's in a heavily wooded area so it will get pretty dark by 7. I don't recommend sunset weddings unless it's out on a beach or somewhere without trees or buildings or mountains obstructing the sun. Also if you plan on taking a lot of photos after the ceremony, your light will be bad. Also think about what if it's cloudy? It will be darker earlier. Personally I would want a buffer in case it's not a completely perfect day.
  • Our ceremony starts at 6:30PM (on 06.30.12). We will take some sunset pictures during the "magic hour."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our ceremony is starting at 6:30
  • We're doing our ceremony at 4, so that we can have the natural light as long as possible. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Our ceremony is at 6:00.
    June 16, 2012
  • Our ceremony is at 5:30.....cocktail hour starts directly after that while we get some pics in.....our photographer said the light is best just before sunset so we will be finishing up our photos right around sunset (at 7pm)

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our ceremony will be at 6. Like PPs said, we will be sure to take advantage of the light around sunset for pictures.
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • Our ceremony is at 6:30.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Yea I was having the same trouble deciding. We are having our ceremony at 6. But I will probably go back outside around 8:30 to get a few pics with the sunset
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I was thinking 6 or 6:30, too, so it won't be too late but we can still slip out to get some great sunset pictures.

We're having the ceremony on a lake, so it'll stay light for a long time.
  • My wedding is outdoors and we are having the ceremony at 3:30. We are up in a Canyon were it gets darker earlier; I wanted as much daylight as possible. We also only have the venue till 10:00pm so I wanted to have Dinner at 5 and time for dancing and etc.
  • Our ceremony is at 4. Mostly because everyone needs to be out and everything cleaned up by 11. We'll also get lots of natural light.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_whos-having-an-outdoor-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:bc34dbfa-6cb1-4a4b-bf47-0b1681cbffd8Post:e34cd157-2be3-44f0-ad74-f94a50b408b1">Re: Who's having an outdoor ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]5:30 PM ceremony.  6:00 PM cocktail hour on the veranda/patio of the vineyard. :)
    Posted by CvilleClaire[/QUOTE]

This exactly. Except on the patio of the golf course.
  • We're having the whole shebang outside, so one of the things we're doing is having a basket with sunblock and bug repellent towelettes for the peeps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • noon, do to the time I could get the gazebo. Although  I wanted a sunset wedding
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    My photographer loves shooting between 6 and 7:30 in the warmer months because all the yellow light is so gorgeous. I wouldn't worry about having an outdoor ceremony at sunset. By the end of the ceremony, everyone would be sitting in the dark!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_whos-having-an-outdoor-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:bc34dbfa-6cb1-4a4b-bf47-0b1681cbffd8Post:f049d4c4-87d7-467d-8761-0718326a8f87">Re: Who's having an outdoor ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having the whole shebang outside, so one of the things we're doing is having a basket with sunblock and bug repellent towelettes for the peeps.
    Posted by chrmun[/QUOTE]

We are doing the same thing! We are up in the canyon so we figured people don't think to bring those things when they go to a wedding :)
  • Our ceremony is 5:30.  FI and I will go back out and take pictures like others have said as the sun sets.
    Anniversary
  • We are having ours at 2pm. We are doing it in my parents back yard in California. Any later, we would not be able to make are extremely early flight the next day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ours is at 3:00.  It is about 3-4 hours away for most people attending and we didn't want people to feel like they had to rent a room to stay the night or leave the reception really early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
  • Ours is at 5:30 pm by the gazebo in the gardens of the venue and the coctail hour starts at 6 pm on the outdoor patio. Ours was for different reasons since traditionally our office closes at 3:30 pm on Fridays everyone from work will have time to go home, freshen up and come back out in time. Our OOT guests are from around the globe so it didn't really matter what day or time for them :)
    Vacation White Knot
  • 1pm for us ... on a Sunday though.  I just liked the thought of getting the ceremony over with early so I'm not a nervous wreck the whole day.
  • Our ceremony is at 7pm and will go til no later than 7:30.  During cocktail hour we will be having pictures done so we will have some sunset pictures.  Also, guests have access to the outside patio all night with fire pits. 
  • ours will start at 6:00 pm.  hopefully by then it will have cooled down a bit.  Crossing my fingers that doesn't rain and isn't too hot or too windy!  :)
  • Ceremony at 4pm, cocktail hour on the terrace at 5pm, and reception at 6pm.  I definitely want to step outside around 7pm onto the terrace for sunset pictures though.  Our venue faces west, overlooking the lake, so we will hopefully get beautiful images.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Our ceremony starts at 6 pm. The reception is a mix of indoor and outdoor right after the ceremony (ceremony & reception are at the same place)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • Our ceremony will be at 5 pm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards