Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal shower overload

DD is getting married in September. Aunts from my side of the family offered to throw her a shower but she really just doesn't want a shower at all. So she was going to decline and be done with it. 

But then, FI's aunt offered to throw her one, and it's really the only interest his family has shown in the whole shebang. (His mom is deceased; dad is quite ill.) So now she feels sort of obligated to say yes to the Fi's family but definitely can't handle more than one shower. She doesn't want to hurt the first aunt's feelings, either. Would it be weird to ask the two aunts to combine forces and host one shower together? Both these aunts are super nice and great at throwing parties, and it seems like a good idea but we wondered if that was tacky or what. 

Thoughts?

(Please note she is very grateful for the offers. She's just not into that sort of thing and has limited time due to other committments.)

Re: Bridal shower overload

• Options
    Actually, I think we got it worked out. First aunt who offered is really, really overloaded with a bunch of stuff with her own family this summer. When she mentioned it today, it just seemed like the perfect time to be like,'Y'know, you really don't HAVE to feel like a shower is necessary. Someone else offered as well.' And she was relieved!  

Now FI's aunt can do her thing, DD ends up with only one shower and all is well. YAY! 

(For future reference, though, it'd be fine if anyone wanted to answer the original question: Is it OK to ask the people offering multiple showers to join forces?)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-overload?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fab1bbc5-cbf0-48d8-b7ad-4ad2209d5c7dPost:2e564cf2-54ee-4d59-9dea-d7d0cb79895e">Re: Bridal shower overload</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, I think we got it worked out. First aunt who offered is really, really overloaded with a bunch of stuff with her own family this summer. When she mentioned it today, it just seemed like the perfect time to be like,'Y'know, you really don't HAVE to feel like a shower is necessary. Someone else offered as well.' And she was relieved!   Now FI's aunt can do her thing, DD ends up with only one shower and all is well. YAY! <strong> (For future reference, though, it'd be fine if anyone wanted to answer the original question: Is it OK to ask the people offering multiple showers to join forces?)</strong>
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

Glad it got worked out.

For your question, I probably wouldn't. As the bride, I would stay out of all the planning involved with the showers. It is perfectly OK for her to politely decline any or all showers, but I wouldn't tell someone who offered a shower, "Hey, so and so is already throwing me one. Why don't you two just go in on one together." I think it'd be especially weird if the two hostesses don't know each other, KWIM?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-overload?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fab1bbc5-cbf0-48d8-b7ad-4ad2209d5c7dPost:4c0d6703-d878-48fa-b48d-f90716bf9e69">Re: Bridal shower overload</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridal shower overload : Glad it got worked out. For your question, I probably wouldn't. As the bride, I would stay out of all the planning involved with the showers. It is perfectly OK for her to politely decline any or all showers, but I wouldn't tell someone who offered a shower, "Hey, so and so is already throwing me one. Why don't you two just go in on one together."<strong> I think it'd be especially weird if the two hostesses don't know each other, KWIM?</strong>
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>That is kind of what we thought and why I asked. It don't know if it's downright rude. but it just felt weird. I think <em>maybe</em> it'd be OK if they knew each other. But even still it'd be a gray area. So glad it worked out! </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards