Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Warning...vent ahead...proceed with caution

Hi Ladies...so after 2 hellish weeks at work, I attempted to call the Parks & Rec dept to book our pavilion and instead of being able to book the pavilion, I have to wait until next month.  Fine.  However, she then proceeds to ask me 20 more questions about things I had no idea...ugh.  I asked if I could put lights up in the pavilion...was told no...it's only 15 amp service and you'd blow the circuit...great...so now we're having fluorescent lights that are in the pavilion (I'm thinking I'll look on ebay for battery operated lights).  Then she asks if we have a beach wedding permit...a what?!?!?  She asks who I'm working with and proceeds to tell me she's never heard of the company and now I'm  just done.  So the mature part of me get overwhelmed and shuts down.  Mind you I did this phone call at work on a break...so I was in a great mood after that. 
FI gets home and I vent to him...he proceeds to tell me that the reason we're doing the FL wedding vs home wedding is to save money.  Fine...but I don't want it to look white trash...so now I'm worried that it's going to look white trash and just be trashy because I can't dress up the pavilion like I wanted!  I told him that I don't want people judging...which is nice he said, well, if they don't like it then they're not our friends.  (Guys brains work so differently)  :(  I was fighting back tears because I want it to be nice...good thing FI didnt' see because I'm sure he'd say I'm working myself up and he doesn't want me to get all anxious!  News flash...planning a wedding is stressful!

Thanks for the vent...and have a drink for me...I can't even have a glass of wine because I'm on call...

Okay...stepping off my pity pot!  (And sigh)...

Re: Warning...vent ahead...proceed with caution

• Options
    me and u are just gonna have some tequila shots and and badger claws....im sorry your dealing with this right now, but theres always alternatives.
    is you ceremony on a beach? you can do tiki torches instead of twinkly lights. idk, we can think of alternatives. as for the permit, definitly ask your wc what is this lady talking about and how come she hasnt brought it up in conversation before? 

definitly just have a talk with your wc. itll be fine! i promise you, your wedding will NOT be "white trash" Screw the people who are gonna judge, because at the end of the day, youll still get married!
  • Options
    that's just shitty of her to act like that. She can tell you're getting married so why throw an attitude. I swear people like that make me think that they are some bitter 40 yr old hag who's husband stepped out on her and now she hates all things weddings.

Listen to Jillian, if people are going to be judgey at your wedding, then they don't need to be there.

Hope things start looking up for you!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey Jennifer, I posted this link from today's A Practical Wedding post earlier for Angie and I think it'd be awesome for you, too. http://apracticalwedding.com/2010/10/wedding-graduate-robin-ronnen/

The best quote from it: "On your day—all of the things you didn’t choose (for financial, or any other reasons), that you worry you’ll feel badly about…they won’t be there for comparison.  And what you DID choose, will be wonderful.  And no one, including you, will be thinking, this wedding is nice, but it would have been so much better if she had upgraded these chairs."

DW Siggy Challenge: Halloween Pictures!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We'll all help find something to make it work.  What about those lanterns that use battery mini lights?  I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get around electricity limits.

We don't need a beach permit, but the town just north of where we're getting married requires one.  We confirmed the information for that online after talking with our venue.  Hopefully your WC can fill you in!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Men are just clueless sometimes (ok most times). I totally understand why you want to dress up the pavillion. I think getting battery operated lights is a great idea. I have also seen battery operated paper laterns that would look beautiful hung from an outdoor pavillion I bet. They're pretty cheap as well: http://www.justartifacts.net/8baoppala.html

I would let your WC know how rude this woman was and ask her to book the pavillion for you so you don't have to deal with her. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ditto Spazzy and big huge ::hugs:: Jen! I hope things work out and hopefully that lady just doesn't know what she's talking about. ;)
  • Options
    Aww, I'm sorry you are dealing with this stuff, and that fi isn't more understanding. Guys just don't understand! I agree w/ PP's advice. I bought a short strand of battery operated LED lights from ebay - if our GTG pans out, I'll bring them so you can see if that kind of thing might work!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry that you're dealing with this. I agree with all the pps. using the lanterns will work out great for decorating and having a talk with your wc about the permit will clarify everything for you. And about FI I agree with the ladies guys are just not as understanding as us. Take it easy and I hope you're feeling better today.

Wedding Bio

New Married Blog
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker ~Pamela&Steven~6.25.2011~PuntaCana,DR~ image
  • Options
    Ditto all the PP's - I really hope things get worked out and you find a solution to make it beautiful and classy but still stay within your budget...
  • Options
    Same as all of the PP's... Guys really don't understand!  I'm sure everything will work out for you and as everyone said they do have a lot of battery operated choices these day.  You'll figure it out and it definitly won't be white trash :-) 

I'm not glad you are going through this, but i can't tell you how many times i have said the same thing to my FI and my mom.  I wan't to be sensible on money but not make it look "cheap" or "white trashy."  So i guess it's good to hear others have struggled with it.  Good luck and let us know what you decide or find!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards