Getting in Shape

I'm lost when it comes to exercise.

I got my dress yesterday and it's a tiny bit too tight around my rib cage. The dress is literally perfect where it hits my hips and I'm terrified of it getting too snug in the next three months leading up to my wedding. Does anyone have any diet tips/exercises I should focus on? My first fitting is January 7th and I'm anxious about slimming down so my fitting goes smoothly.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm lost when it comes to exercise.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_im-lost-when-it-comes-to-exercise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f7089117-cfa4-46ee-89e8-2957df8d6bfcPost:9802612b-eb0e-4d95-a1d0-d85c4aa31aec">Re: I'm lost when it comes to exercise.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi clava.  Three months is a little early for your first fitting.  If possible, I would push it back to two months before your wedding at the earliest.  That will give you a chance to either lose weight, or at least be at the same weight you'll most likely be at for your wedding. There's no exercise that you can do to spot reduce your rib cage.  You can concentrate on eating a balanced diet and implementing strength training and cardio in to your routine.  This will help you lose weight everywhere.  You can read the GIS FAQ sticky at the top of the page for suggestions on how to get started, including calorie tracking - that can be huge. And just know that it's easier to take in a dress than let it out.  So you're better off losing some weight so it fits your rib cage correctly and having to take it in at the hips than having to let it out at the rib cage, if that makes sense.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

The only reason my appointment is so early is because my seamstress is one of the most sought out in my area and her time slots fill out fast. When I was buying my dress, my saleslady and I had doubts about the dress being big on me but when I got it yesterday it pretty much ended up fitting me like a glove. I've never had to worry about diet or excersise and stayed at a good weigt by eating junk food. Ever since I started dating my now fiance, he's gotten me to follow his eating habits and it does not agree with my body. He's very stubborn about eating together so I'm torn on what to do now. My wedding is March 30th so I'm terrified of accidentally gaining any weight since my dress fits so well now.
  • I'm confused - so you were able to maintain your weight by eating junk? If that's the case, what are your FI's eating habits that you have switched to, that do not agree with you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_im-lost-when-it-comes-to-exercise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f7089117-cfa4-46ee-89e8-2957df8d6bfcPost:5d082108-df6a-4456-847c-e91069922e58">Re: I'm lost when it comes to exercise.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm confused - so you were able to maintain your weight by eating junk? If that's the case, what are your FI's eating habits that you have switched to, that do not agree with you?
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

We both work opposite hours so usually no one wants to cook which calls for a lot of fast food, plus he's a really picky eater so he doesn't eat salad or fruits/veggies/fish (his mom was a horrible cook growing up so he ate really basic stuff his entire life) and who wants to eat a salad when he's eating a hamburger?!  I pretty much lived off snacking throughout the day instead of eating big meals or real meals at all, and now that we're together it's meals and no snacking :(
  • edited December 2012
    That doesn't sound like an optimal situation for either one of you, and won't get resolved after the wedding. If you're concerned about your dress fitting, you will have to ease off the junk to make sure the dress fits on the big day. Why don't you cook in advance on weekends so you have at least a few days' worth of non-fast food leftovers during the week? It's not easy and it takes planning and preparation but over the long run it will be much better for both of you. You can't relinquish responsibility for your own health because nobody else will do it for you. Just because he doesn't want to cook, doesn't mean you can't. (Yes, yes, gender stereotypes but it's true). I do all the cooking and yes, sometimes it's a pain and I love it when I go on vacation and don't have to think about it, but every time I cook instead of resorting to take-out, I know both our bodies and our wallets thank us. 

But in all honesty, I would be very worried if my life partner did not eat fruits and vegetables. I think there's a much bigger issue at stake here than you potentially not fitting into your dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards