Chit Chat

Boycotting Claire's/Icing

Wednesday I bought a rhinestone necklace, bracelet, and earrings set from Claire's. The bracelet was to big. I thought it was a stretchy one, but it wasn't. So 2day I took it back to exchange it or return it. Well to my surprise the manager told me I couldn't do either one. She said "It says it one the back of the receipt under exclusions. Oh ok so you don't know until after you buy the bull crap. Then she proceeds to tell me that thats why they have a sign at the cash register. That's sitting behind some stuff. So when I got home I looked up the customer service number. They took my info and asked what happened, then said she would give it to someone and they would call me back. YEAH RIGHT!!! So now I'm stuck with $20 worth of stuff I don't want! So unhappy with that place!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    You should have made yourself aware of the return policy before you bought it then.  It is not the store's fault  that you bought something without being aware of the retun policy.  Yes, it is inconvienent, but you have to shoulder some responsibilty for not reading the reciept or asking the cashier what the policy was.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • My problem is you don't know about it until after you buy it!!! The sign they have at the register is hidden behind things! Yeah you can read the receipt but once you buy it there's nothing you can do! I never thought that something like that I couldn't return or exchange.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure if you had asked before you bought it, she would have told you. I fail to see how this is anyone's fault but your own.
  • I'm just happy that someone here knows the proper use of the word, "boycott."
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Most places don't display their return policy anywhere but the receipt.
    I think the only exception I know of off the top of my head is Forever 21, but their return rules are rigid due to high quantities of theft, from what I understand.

The fact that Claire's/The Icing has a sign up, although hidden, makes them one step ahead of most other stores.

I think you should write this off as a lesson learned... and make sure that for now on you ask about return policies before finalizing any purchases.
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:75cbd3b6-3860-41dd-9de2-0b946124c384">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]My problem is you don't know about it until after you buy it!!! The sign they have at the register is hidden behind things! Yeah you can read the receipt but once you buy it there's nothing you can do! I never thought that something like that I couldn't return or exchange.
    Posted by JoeTamara84[/QUOTE]

Yeah, still your fault.  When I buy anything, I make sure I am aware of return policies before I buy it.   One quick question would have taken care of it.  Give it to someone or hang on to it, but getting fired up about it is pointless.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Unfortunately it's "buyer beware".  It's unfortunate that you have $20 of stuff you won't use, but technically the store isn't at fault.  If you wanted to know the policy before you left, you could have asked.

Hopefully this is just a good lesson for you.  It's only $20 and in the future, you can be more prepared for shopping in stores with strict return policies.
  • Is there anyone you know of who would like the bracelet? At least then it won't go to waste.
  • That's annoying, but a little perspective...the ocean is covered in oil...soldiers are dying each day in Iraq...Haiti is destoyed...
    It sucks to lose money, but i think that you are being a little overdramatic and maybe you should chill out. 

I'll give you a break cause your wedding is around the corner, but maybe concentrate on what is really important.
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • I'm not boycotting any store based on your inability to ask what the return policy is. I ALWAYS ask the sales associates what the return policy is before I swipe my card.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • my customers always ask about the return policy befor ethey buy and i tend to
    Anniversary
  • I have to admit that I rarely ask about the return policy.  I also very rarely return anything.  Seriously, I think I've only ever exchanged.  I don't just throw my money around.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think everyone could be a little nicer. It's pretty frustrating when you shop at a chain store and they don't have pretty good customer service. Relax hun, give it away as a BM gift :)
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited June 2010

yeah honestly..people in here could be a bit understanding and nicer..but sadly they aren't..So she bought an item without reading the return policy..and she's a little pissed and just venting...OMG..let's crucify her!..geeze..take a chill pill girls..i mean maybe other people aren't like you girls...asking what the return policy is for every little thing you buy...i'm sure we've ALL purchased things that we wished we could've returned but couldn't..and didnt read the return policy until it was too late..geeze..give people a break...can we be a little more compassionate?

I know how you feel Joe..it sucks being stuck with this jewelry that you wish you could return now but..guess you just have to suck it up and keep it...sell it on ebay if you can..or etsy..lol..best of luck to ya!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We may all have done it (buy without knowing the return policy).  BUT, that doesn't mean that when someone comes on a forum to say, "I'm BOYCOTTING this place!" that doing so makes sense or that the person should be validated.

It's a lesson learned and the OP needs to move on.  The store didn't do anything wrong.

To this comment: [QUOTE]I think everyone could be a little nicer. It's pretty frustrating when you shop at a chain store and they don't have pretty good customer service. Relax hun, give it away as a BM gift :) [/QUOTE]

M1SSJ, there are so many things wrong with the post. 

1) The store didn't have bad customer service.  They posted their return policy and the OP didn't ask about it.  That's not bad service.  It's just a strict return policy.   There's often a reason that you can buy things cheaply in places like that.  A strict return policy is often one of the ways that businesses keep costs down.

2) Seriously - you're advocating giving it away as a BM gift?  So everyone should be nicer to the OP but the OP should give away a cr@ppy cast-off to one of her near and dear friends as a way to thank her for being in the wedding?  My, you've come up with a wonderful way to treat those close to the bride.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:bb8bf2bb-5a45-4208-b2f6-d51464cfc13a">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah honestly..people in here could be a bit understanding and nicer..but sadly they aren't..So she bought an item without reading the return policy..and she's a little pissed and just venting...Posted by qtxvixen[/QUOTE]

But she wasn't just venting. She created that post in an attempt to get other posters to boycott Claires. She's asking that we not purchase from that store because of something that is solely her fault. That's ridiculous.

Her post =/= venting. Not remotely.
  • I doubt that. Especially since there is a post about boycotting BP just a little further down the page. And even if she was just venting and boycotting them on her own, she would have gotten the same responses because her complaint is not valid.

• And... so what if the bracelet is too big.  It's not like you can't wear the earrings and necklace part of the set.

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In addition to everything everyone else has said, it's pretty much common knowledge that shops like this don't let you return stuff.  They sell tons of earrings.  It is very unsanitary to let someone take a pair of earrings home and then bring them back and put them on the shelf.

In any event, this is your fault, not the store's.  Take a little responsibility for yourself.  

Why must everyone constantly blame everyone else for everything?
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member

Hope you all have a great day!Smile 

@ Cew she said it was too big not that it was crappy so yes I suggested giving it away as a BM gift. Too big does not mean it's not still nice.

577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:535af399-3913-45ee-8b7d-3668e1197cfb">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hope you all have a great day!   @ Cew she said it was too big not that it was crappy so yes I suggested giving it away as a BM gift. Too big does not mean it's not still nice.
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

It's stil a cast-off and not a heartfelt gift.  That's something you give away because you don't have a use for it.  It's not something you wrap up because it's a lovely gift of appreciation.  Nothing about Claire's jewelry says "BM gift".   And nothing about "I have no use for this," says BM gift either.
  • I'm just wondering why you didn't try on the bracelet before you even left the store? Normally if you want to make sure a ring or bracelet fits etc, you would try it on.
  • I've worked retail before and one of the worst things is a customer who comes in and gets upset when they can't return something. I don't get why you didn't know the bracelet was too big. Did you not try it on?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:535af399-3913-45ee-8b7d-3668e1197cfb">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]  @ Cew she said it was too big not that it was crappy so yes I suggested giving it away as a BM gift. Too big does not mean it's not still nice.
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

It's from Claire's. OF COURSE it is crappy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:5d716d21-33d5-406d-82ae-aebcb3fc0ed9">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing : It's from Claire's. OF COURSE it is crappy!
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

Lmao. So true.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • klm03013klm03013 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:bb8bf2bb-5a45-4208-b2f6-d51464cfc13a">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah honestly..people in here could be a bit understanding and nicer..but sadly they aren't..So she bought an item without reading the return policy..and she's a little pissed and just venting...OMG..let's crucify her!..geeze..take a chill pill girls..i mean maybe other people aren't like you girls...asking what the return policy is for every little thing you buy...i'm sure we've ALL purchased things that we wished we could've returned but couldn't..and didnt read the return policy until it was too late..geeze..give people a break...can we be a little more compassionate? I know how you feel Joe..it sucks being stuck with this jewelry that you wish you could return now but..guess you just have to suck it up and keep it...sell it on ebay if you can..or etsy..lol..best of luck to ya!
    Posted by qtxvixen[/QUOTE]

First of all, I don't think that people are "crucifying her" just because they aren't telling her what she wants to hear or agreeing that it is all the store's fault. I also don't feel the need to be "compassionate" about someone purchasing crappy cheap jewelry without trying it on or asking about the return policy. This is hardly a major life trial. Give it away or throw it away and get over it.
  • I am skeptical that any 2 items at Claries could add up to $20. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    Everyone has their own opinion,  we're all entitled to voice them. Perhaps those who forgot the stress of it being 1 week before her wedding are a little less compassionate but JoeTam - good luck on your day and sorry you had this experience.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_boycotting-clairesicing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d7b5fc08-e529-464c-8bfb-fd10fc04d511Post:6f0207f7-81dd-40f8-83d2-d13aaf1cd939">Re: Boycotting Claire's/Icing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am skeptical that any 2 items at Claries could add up to $20. 
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]

I think it was 3 items. 

OP:  Why did you not try it on in the store? 

I also think it'd be a bad BM gift.  For a flower girl, on the other hand...When I was 4 I loved anything sparkly, regardless of whether or not I could wear it.  Otherwise, donate it.  It sounds like something you could put in a Christmas stocking to donate to a girl whose parents can't afford gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards