Second Weddings

Parental Dances and the Sort... 2nd time around

So N and I are casually working through our music selection because we are doing the three things that we know will take the longest... dresses (my girls are family planning so we are looking for pregnant friendly dresses my ladies adore), venue (having the hard decision of do we want our "dream" wedding or accomodate our large families), and music (both music majors with very different tastes in music).

So we were getting to the special "dances." And here is our predicament.

My mom is married to someone different than my dad.
My dad has been with the woman I call my stepmom for 8 years and I love her to death.
N's mom has passed but his dad is very active in our relation, not seeing anyone.
N has only one sister who is my age (she is afterall how we met, she was a good friend of mine)
I have one brother I am really close with, and a half brother and sister. I am thinking of having my brother walk me down the aisle if I do not walk alone or have N meet me halfway.

I know a father/daughter dance is important to my dad. So I will not be able to get around it without hurting his feelings. At my first wedding he felt slighted because my ex and his mom danced together and we did not until the end because the DJ "forgot" and there werent any pictures of us.

I know N was really close with his mom and misses her and I am afraid that it will upset him to miss that moment with her.

But I was thinking maybe we could substitute a sibling dance for him and his sister because they are really close or work something that way.

What is everyone else doing? I dont want to hurt anyones feelings but I am stumped on how to work this all out.

Re: Parental Dances and the Sort... 2nd time around

• Just my opinions:

Dance with your Dad. It's fine, doesn't matter if it's the 1st or 10th wedding.

As far as your fiance, is he close to your Mom or Stepmom? While not HIS mom, it might seem like an idea he can agree to. Otherwise, I see no problem with him skipping it, or dancing with his sister if that's what he wants to do.

The "family dances" tend to create tension because of divorces/dating/remarriage. There are no right or wrong answers, just what feels right.

Your fiance might feel better about it if he dances simultaneously with you and your Dad, that way the spotlight is not just on him. That's what we did.
  • Both of our Dad's had passed by the time we were married, we did do a Mother/Son dance that ended up with my mom dancing with my DH and my MIL dancing with me, and then the moms dancing together.  It was very nice. 

The only planned dances were our first dance and the Mother/Son dance - didn't want to bore the guests.  One of our older Aunts wanted to be dancing before dinner was served!
  • My mom scares the bejebus out of him lol, we honestly do not know if she is going to show up or not. She is the ultimate drama queen. But my step mom is truly awesome.

I hate all these stupid dances. We are planning on doing it towards the end of dinner when no one is going to be paying attention so we dont bore them. We have not decided if we are going to do our first dance when we come in and our bridal party dance to get it out of the way.

But I do not see a way out of not hurting someone. I want his dad to feel included because we did stay with him for awhile while we were looking for a new home. And I know my dad wont let us skip all the dances because he really felt slighted the first way around. I wish we could work out a "family"' dance and just get it all over with at once.

• How about a fun group dance sort of thing?  Maybe start with something sweet with you and your dad, have your moment, then have people start cutting in, maybe changes to a fun song, and end up with all the family dancing together.  I would also suggest making an opportunity for Drama Mom to participate if she shows, but if she doesn't it doesn't change things at all, allowing her to be involved but limiting the impact she can have.

Family drama is tough.  It ruined my first wedding but thankfully the relationships are so much better now between everyone I don't think it will be a problem this time.  Time tends to heal things.  

Good Luck!
    Heather
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards