Jewish Weddings

Help with Jewish wedding

I am planning my sister's wedding and we wanted to some info on officiants.  What is the process of "hiring" a rabbi?  Do they charge a lot?  Did you have a minister co-officiate?

Re: Help with Jewish wedding

• ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Kate,
    Is your sister having an interfaith wedding?
    Does she or the grooms family already have a rabbi from their synagogue?
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm assuming that it is an interfaith wedding, if you are asking about having a minister co-officiate.  Whether to have a minister co-officiate depends on what the couple wants.  Our wedding was officiated only by a rabbi, as NotFroofy is not a member of any religion.  However, some couples choose to have co-officiants.  You should be warned, though, that many rabbis will not perform an interfaith wedding at all, and that even those who will often will not perform an interfaith wedding with a co-officiant.

In terms of finding a rabbi, you may want to start with the synagogue of which they are a member, if any.  The synagogue of the Jewish parents may be another alternative.  If neither of those works, InterfaithFamily.com has a service that will match interfaith couples with a rabbi willing to work with them.  You may also want to consider using a cantor rather than a rabbi.  The ceremony is just as legal with a cantor as with a rabbi, and cantors may be a bit more flexible on average than rabbis.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

You may also try interfaithfamily.com to find a local rabbi that is willing to do an interfaith ceremony, though as the PP said they might not  co-officiate though.

As for cost, it can be pricey if your sister or fiance isn't using their own rabbi from their shul.

We are having our ceremony on a Saturday (after sundown) and it was difficult to find a Rabbi that would do the ceremony at any time on a Saturday. Another thing to consider.

TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards