Gay Weddings
Options

Wedding Help

Hi, I'm Kalithia and I feel so alone with this wedding stuff.  My girlfriend/ fiancee is Courtney and she is letting me do whatever as long as I don't spend a lot of money.  We are planning an October wedding but I think it's too soon.  I would like it pushed to March or April 212.  I have a wedding dress already but scared to plan anything else because I don't want to run into homophobic people.  We live in North Carolina and wanted to have a wedding and reception here but first go to Mass. for the legal stuff.  The wedding colors are set, it will be a small event of no more than 50 people, and there will be no wedding party.  I want to make my own food (or get a friend to make it) that way it would be free.  Haven't even started on wedding invites (wording) or anything else.  Only thing is a goo is the wedding dress has been order.  I need some serious help and really would like a gay wedding planner but don't think I will find that in NC.

Re: Wedding Help

• Options
    tiffanycdemeotiffanycdemeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey! congratulations on your engagement! do not worry about homophobic people, their opinions dont matter.  just focus on how beautiful the day will be! i am planning my wedding with my fh and i share the thoughts of being overwhelmed and being anxious about making a decision on things.  our wedding is for 100 people and for the venue its about $1,500 all inclusive.  however, our wedding is very different.  we are getting married at a historic chapel we rented and then later in the day we are having our reception at a black light mini golf place, where we will serve drinks and desserts.  by doing something like this we are saving over $10,000!

we are also making alot of our wedding stuff.  DIY can help alot with the budget however I have found that somethings like save the dates can cost the same as DIY save the dates unless you already have the supplies.  we are making our own invitations (purchased blank invites from ac more...use coupons!!) and I will be making the bouquets and boutineers as well.

try and find an affordable venue but with good food.  there are always alternatives as i have found.  KOC halls also have affordable options for weddings and you can also do a high tea or bruch.

but cooking yourself could also be fun! that makes the whole event more personal. 

there are so many unique and personal options available for weedings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are gay-friendly wedding services, even in North Carolina--here are some listings.

Another alternative would be to ask on your local board for references to wedding planners.  When you've got some names, you could call and ask how they would feel about helping with a same-sex wedding.  In general, our experience was that the vast majority of wedding vendors are open to same-sex weddings.  But if you encounter one who is not, you can hang up even before giving your name.
  • Options
    KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  I will go to the NC board.

I will be making my own invitations and food as far as DIY.  I am not a creative person at all and neither is Courtney.

Now we are considering having the wedding and reception in our back yard but we would have to have a little work done to it even though by the time we get done we would have paid for a wedding and then some.  Although in the end, we would still have the yard for years.  We are still considering all of our options.
  • Options
    daisywithakdaisywithak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:e6b0c8cf-ff63-44ba-a4e9-bd9622260658Post:47246281-18ad-4647-9b34-166fa504dfdd">Re: Wedding Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are gay-friendly wedding services, even in North Carolina-- here are some listings . Another alternative would be to ask on your local board for references to wedding planners.  When you've got some names, you could call and ask how they would feel about helping with a same-sex wedding.  In general, our experience was that the vast majority of wedding vendors are open to same-sex weddings.  But if you encounter one who is not, you can hang up even before giving your name.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

I agree that you should feel out the vendors.  That's what we did,and not one of them had a problem with same-sex unions.  I have been very happy with our experiences so far.  Enjoy the process, and if you encounter people that give you a hard time just take your business elsewhere.
  • Options
    jessporrasjessporras member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I understand how it can be a little daunting when you get started: Coming out to all sorts of people you've never met- "No thank you!"  I found that it helped to email vendors, and come right out to them in the email.  Like say- My partner [name] and I are looking for a florist.  Then if they are going to be weird, they just won't write back.  Then you'll never know if they have an issue or if they're just unprofessional.  You'll just hear back from the folks that are excited to work with you (as they should be).  Also check out this website that has gay friendly wedding vendors on it: http://www.soyoureengayged.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards