Missouri-Kansas City

Historic Stowe Building

We booked our reception for October of next year at the Stowe bulding in the West Bottoms.  From their website, a ton of their dates are filled, and I just wanted to see if anyone on here had also booked them.  Since it is a new venue, what are your thoughts about the finishing of the space.  I am really looking forward to this great space, and just wanted reinforcement that other people also put a deposit down on this space.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Historic Stowe Building

• edited December 2011
    Hii Jaclyn! Yes, we booked the building for our wedding AND reception. We are booked for December and since you are in October, there will be quite a few weddings held before you. I am sure they will get everything together by then after already having so many weddings. I know how you feel since you have to book without seeing the final product. The guy that owns this building also owns Mission Theater and I have read some good reviews and the place looks really nice. We decided to book a different DJ other than the one provided. I think the ambiance alone will make this place awesome. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there, I just booked them for a JULY 2011.  I am super excited but nervous too. I also heard that Ryan, the owner, runs the Mission theater.  I have had several friends get married there and said it was great, so I am using that and the view from the penthouse as my faith that it will all be great.
    I am a little nervous, too.  Hard to plan when you cannot see the space exact.
    I believe the penthouse will be completed in March and the first wedding is in April.  So any kinks should be gone by our weddings.
    I plan to do another tour of the space once it is completed. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree!  When I saw the space, I fell in love with it-especially with the rooftop view!  They did tell me that they were planning on having a New Year's Eve party to kick off the opening, but it didn't seem like everything was finished in time.  I'm sure it will be fine-good luck to you and happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi I did take a few pictures of the rooftop-we booked it in September for October of 2011.  We're having our ceremony somewhere else, with the 9th floor for the reception.  From all  of the plans, it sounds like it's going to be beautiful!  Just a few pictures, but its nice!  The only concern I really have is not finishing on time.  When we toured, they were planning on having a New Year's Eve party to kick off the new space and to work out any kinks, but this did not happen.  Here's the link to my photobucket.  The first 2 are of the rooftop.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/drew090/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I noticed the same thing.  I was wondering how they were going to make this happen.  My wedding is scheduled in October, and the venue is right across the street from some of the haunted houses, so I was worried that this might also add some trouble for all of my out of town guests.  I'm sure that they will have some way to manage all of the people from the different parties, or at least they will by the time our weddings happen!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also, I just thought that they have like 4 elevators in the building.  Maybe they will have elevators dedicated to specific wedding parties, or they did mention that they will have a hired person to man an elevator-maybe they will be asking which reception they are going to-and hopefully we won't have any wedding crashers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I can't seem to dowload the fact sheet on their website... Is the alcohol and dj really included in the price? That would be amazing! I hope I can get a hold of them to set up a tour. Thanks for the insight ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    From when I met with him, I understood that he would have master control of things like volume of the dj, but he would not be the actual dj. I also got valet parking offered, and put in the contract-my wedding is the 22nd on the 9th floor, and I saw that it was booked on the 22nd for the 2nd floor also.  I have read a lot of reviews of the Mission theatre, and many people seemed to be very happy with it, and it seemed like he and the company are all about leaving their customers happy, so we'll go out and spread the word.  To Lauren-dj and unlimited beer and wine are provided, it's $5 extra per person for unlimited alcohol too.  Ryan also told me that they had a stock of vases/centerpieces/etc from previous weddings that had been left behind in the space that we could use free of charge, so I would ask about that too!

I really am not too worried that they won't finish, especially because they will have had 50-something weddings in the space before my wedding happens.  Hopefully it will be great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just met with Ryan today and he seemed very nice and willing to do whatever he could to make our wedding run smooth. I had the same feeling to... that maybe it wouldn't be done on time. Loved the space but wasn't sure how the space would turn out in the end. Do you have to go with there own dj? or could you pick your own???
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! We are actually booking a separate DJ for the venue. We just wanted someone dedicated completely to that profession. He said that was ok. We booked Elite. I think this place is going to be fantastic. 
  • edited December 2011
    We booked the Stowe Building (on the grace of God and prayer) back in October... Our wedding is March 20, 2011... We are actually going today to do another walk thru since the date is fastly approaching!! The last time we went they were just starting to renovate and were puting the frames up for the bathrooms, etc
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_historic-stowe-building?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:82Discussion:9410e17c-2c35-4d68-b5d7-fab55694c887Post:622f014b-1e28-421c-b3e5-071e7f48e26a">Re: Historic Stowe Building</a>:
    [QUOTE]We booked the Stowe Building (on the grace of God and prayer) back in October... Our wedding is March 20, 2011... We are actually going today to do another walk thru since the date is fastly approaching!! The last time we went they were just starting to renovate and were puting the frames up for the bathrooms, etc
    Posted by shariberri913[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear how it looks after you do your next walk-through!  On the website, the Studebaker Lounge said it opened Dec of 2011, and I was wondering if it is in fact open yet, or if they'd delayed it a little.  Can't wait to hear how it looks and how the space is progressing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I live in California, so my mom went and did a tour for me last week and she said it was SCARY how unfinished it was! She contacted some of her contractor friends and they said that the Stowe owners are completely out of money and are offering deals to brides get down payments inorder to build up enough cash to get it all finished - sounds scary to me! Plus, is this area really that safe for guests? It is a great deal, but I just dont know if I can take that kind of risk! Best wishes to you ladies, I cant wait to see pictures of the finished product!
  • edited December 2011

To  Kassyleh :
    Yes there can be multiple events going on in the building at the same time.  When we toured we looked at the second floor because the penthouse was completely booked for the same dates.  But we decided on the penthouse for Friday to save a ton of money.
    I understand your concerns with more than one event, but I don't think it will be that big of a deal.  Crashers usually want free alcohol and alcohol is included in all packages, so I cant think of other reasons why someone would leave one event to go to another. ???   Many venues in KC have multiple events going on at the same time and I have been to several that do.  I would assume the elevator hops will ensure guests get to the correct floor.  As a safeguard I am adding the floor to my invitation.
    For parking, there is a medium size flat lot down the street.  On street parking is plentiful since there isn't much in the area.  Ryan said for all events there would be two guys on golf carts taking people to and from their vehicles. I think this will be fine, except for the brides during haunted house season.  Haunted House season brides may have issues.  The "Edge of Hell" is right down the street. 
    **I am trying to stay optimistic.  I hope this all works out for all of us!  I love Ryans flexibility and have had friends work with him to have their reception a the mIssion theater...BUT the building isn't done....fingers crossed!!!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_historic-stowe-building?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:82Discussion:9410e17c-2c35-4d68-b5d7-fab55694c887Post:869ed5cd-b984-497f-b045-e44611b756c8">Re: Historic Stowe Building</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in California, so my mom went and did a tour for me last week and she said it was SCARY how unfinished it was! She contacted some of her contractor friends and they said that the Stowe owners are completely out of money and are offering deals to brides get down payments inorder to build up enough cash to get it all finished - sounds scary to me! Plus, is this area really that safe for guests? It is a great deal, but I just dont know if I can take that kind of risk! Best wishes to you ladies, I cant wait to see pictures of the finished product!
    Posted by laurennwilson1[/QUOTE]

The owner of the building is the same person who owns all of the haunted houses in kansas city.  They may have lost a little money since the economy basically crashed, but as far as I know, those haunted houses are packed from september through early november...and they charge $40 something a person.  I highly doubt that they're out of money. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Jaclyn! Have you done your walk through recently? I think I am most interested in if they have gotten the bar, bathrooms, and windows finished.
  • edited December 2011

I was in the area yesterday with my mom so we just stopped by.  She lives out of town and hadn't seen it yet so I wanted to see if they'd show us around.  They were there, and we were able to take a look at it.  They do have the walls for the bathroom up, with drywall and paint, toilets and sinks, they just don't have doors yet.  The bar is completely built and it's a little bigger than I thought, but it looks good.  It wraps half way around that passenger elevator, so there's plenty of room.  They also framed a box around that trash thing in the middle of the room and it has plugs for the tvs.  It seems that they've done the plumbing and electrical work-last I was there in October and they had an extension cord to power the christmas lights and lanterns, and that was not there yesterday.  Instead, many more lights were strung and all lit.  There is a wall for the dj 'booth' where the dj will be behind, and walls framed, drywalled and painted for the kitchen.  I was glad to see that this was all done.  Windows and floors haven't been done yet, and the windows are what I really wanted to see done.  I figured floors would be one of the last things since they've had construction up there.  I walked around a little on the 2nd floor.  It seems more cleaned up, but I was never interested in that space, so I didn't pay much attention.  The Lounge area looks like they tore down some drywall to show the original brick, but no bar was built or windows in yet for that space.  They said it would be open middle of April.  I totally didn't even think to take any pictures when I was there, otherwise I would've.  They seem to be making good progress, I'd just be a wreck if my wedding was in a month there...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sacir11sacir11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked for Oct. as well.  I am excited but nervous as well.  The only thing I keep telling myself is I liked it way better unfinished than other established event spots.  So it can only get better right?
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the update Jaclyn! It sounds like they have a lot more done than the last time I toured. I completely agree that just the ambiance of the place alone will be great. If anyone goes anytime soon, pics would be great!
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone have any updates on if they have toured the Stowe building recently? I haven't seen it since November. I am pretty sure they were supposed to start having weddings in March. Ours is not until December but am interested in an update. Thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    I just got my contract and noticed the hosted bar ends at 11:00 pm and then turns to a cash bar.  I'm waiting on a call back about this.  Anyone else get the hosted bar extended any later?!?!?!?!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah mine is the same.  I was a little concerned at first, but I think it will end up being better.  By that time, I figured most of the guests would have had at least a few.  He said that even though it's a cash bar, we could basically just give them like $500 or however much, and continue the 'open' bar until the money ran out.  It's really for only an hour or so-maybe less.  I bet most people will be leaving before then anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shanna1980shanna1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Stowe Building was at a bridal show in Overland Park a couple of weeks ago and they told me that they will be having an open house in April! :-) I don't know of the exact date and aren't sure if they are planning on emailing everyone ... it seems as if they need to step it up a bit on the communication.

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married in July on the 2nd floor and was able to stop by last weekend. I was hoping they would be a lot closer to being finished by now, but I keep reminding myself there are 5 months until my wedding/reception.

I was able to get a few pictures -- my fiance reminded me that really all it needs is a clean floor and some paint. :)

• edited December 2011
    We toured Stowe last night (3/16/10) and booked it for our March 2012 wedding.  For those of you having events starting this spring on the 9th floor you'll be fine- it's basically completed with the exception of a few minor details like the lounge furniture they're planning to add. TV's were up, lights were up, bathrooms worked, etc. The space has a fantastic rustic urban vibe similsr to the Arts Incubator in the Crossroads. 

There were electricians and plumbers actively working on the 2nd floor while we were there so for those of you who booked that floor, I wouldn't worry- work is being done and I imagine they'll have it wrapped up in time for their first event this spring.  The open house is April 9 from 6-8pm so if you've never seen the building or haven't seen it in a few months, I'd definitely suggest checking it out.  It's going to be fantastic.

The lounge on the first floor also looked like it was coming along nicely.  I think this building is going to become one of the hottest venues in town as they finish things up! 
  • edited December 2011
    I have this venue booked for October of this year, too (on the second floor). I booked it back in January on faith alone, as the place was pretty torn up with remodelling. Anyone have any recent pictures? I'm dying to see!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey yall.  Ok so my fiance and I are on a super tight budget and the Stowe buidling seemed like a dream come true.  Coming from a family of DIYers, I am pretty good at looking at a space and seeing the finished product, and looking past the dirt and grime.  We went a couple months ago to look at the 2nd floor which we are hoping to book for our September 2011 wedding, and they had come a long way from where they were back in December. My fiance still wants to wait until the open house to make his decision.  We are on a wing and a prayer with this because I don't know of any other cheap venues that have an offer like this.  In regards to the open house, I was told by the aldy that works there it was on Friday, April 8th from 6-9pm not on Saturday the 9th.
  • edited December 2011
    Our hearts go out to brides who have booked their weddings at Stowe.  We offer ala carte venue recommendations based on style, budget, guest list and of course, availability.  
  • edited December 2011
    CAUTION!!!

This report was just aired last night by the Channel 4 Problem Solvers.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-problem-solvers-wedding-day-blues-over-reception-venue-20110405,0,7199504.story

My husband and I toured the building just five days ago and it still has major holes in the floor and looks scary at best.  I have had friends who had receptions with the owner Ryan at Mission Theater Lounge and had horrible experiences with him in the past. He lies and does patch work jobs at best. This Stowe building is just another example of that. In fact, he was so drunk by the end of my friend's wedding he could barely manage the event. I would definitely think twice about having your wedding at this venue!
  • edited December 2011
    To all Stowe Brides & Grooms,
    We at Terrace On The Green are truly sorry for what has happened on what should have been a happy event.  We are offering a tremendous discount to any of the brides caught up in this situation.  It is important to keep the wedding industry respectable, as it should be, and nothing but a joyous experience for you.  Please call me immediately to see if we have your date available.  

Know that you are in our thoughts today!

Julie Fox
    913-814-8500
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards