Connecticut
Options

Alternatives to cake?

Our caterer allows us to serve a desert at no additional cost, And to be honest I am not a huge fan of cake anyway! Has anyone chosen to do something other then cake for a dessert? And if so what? And how do you handle the "cake cutting?" or just skip it altogether? I would love any ideas or suggestions. Also if you think I should just go ahead and do a cake anyway, any suggestions for a very cheap place to get one? I didn't really factor it into my initial budget :O Thanks! :)
Photobucket Visit The Nest!

Re: Alternatives to cake?

• Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheesecakes, pies, sundae bar, cookie bar. If you want to cut the cake, get yourselves a tiny cake from a bakery (the bakery I go to in Milford charges $10.99 for a 5" cake) and cut that before serving the dessert to guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You think that would be fine? Just doing a little mini cake to cut? We are actually choosing cheesecake as our dessert which i love! So i'm glad you said that.
    Photobucket Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Gretchen. I just got a birthday cake for my brother from Kelly's Sweet Rewards in Brookfield. It was a 10" round cake covered in fondant and decorated (airbrushed and fondant decorations) and she only charged me $40 for it. The cake was awesome. She's also doing our wedding cake, so I have full confidence in her. She might be able to do something really pretty for you and very low cost.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a venetian table, and our package happens to come with a cake, otherwise we would have just done a symbolic one.... to get cheap go price chopper or stop and shop..there are cake places that will make the tier you cut, and will decorate styrofoam for the rest of it
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our caterer (The Federal in Agawam, MA) is doing "rare" lava chocolate cakes for each guest- basically a cupcake but not puffy, more flat like a brownie since it has the gooey chocolate center. He offered for no additional charge (gotta love freebies!) to make a cake out of some of these "cupcake" things by stacking them so we could have a small tower/tiered cake to cut and feed each other. Maybe that's an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of "milk and cookies" as the night starts to end. I've seen cool pictures of a donut bar with milk,coffee, tea and they called it "midnight snack" since their reception ended later. Not sure where your venue is or if they would allow little smore makers on each table! I saw them on ebay for 10 each but maybe they could be found cheaper. Or you can double them as centerpieces. Your guests could roast their own!
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey sorry. Yes, I think it is totally fine! If you want to have that moment where you cut the cake and feed each other, then go for it. :)
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a ben & jerry's bar and no cake.  which doesn't help much if your caterer is adding dessert at no extra charge....but a sundae bar is an idea.  pretty much everyone we've told about our B&J bar has agreed with us that it will be yummier than cake anyway lol.
  • Options
    shortbride27shortbride27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are have coldstone creamery icecream cupcakes for our guests.  we will be cutting one of their smaller icecream cakes, instead of cutting a cupcake.  This way we are still cutting a cake, and we love icecream cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were served chocolate molten lava cakes at a recent wedding and it was the BEST IDEA EVER!!!!   They also had wedding cake but it was dry & nasty...I say get a little cake to cut for the photos but go with your alternative dessert.My friend's wedding cake was never delivered due to a screw-up with the cake shop so duyring the reception, a family member ran out to purchase a simple 8" round white cake from Stop & Shop to stand in for the photos. That was not on purpose, but there is no reason you can't do that on purpose for your wedding!
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards