Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Newlyweds: If you could do it all over again

What would you do differently in hindsight?

Re: Newlyweds: If you could do it all over again

• Options
    I would have put the rose petals on the aisle way right before the ceremony so they didn't blow away. I would have had two solid days between the wedding and leaving on the HM.
  • Options
    I would've taken more pictures beforehand with family so it wouldn't have taken so long after the ceremony.
  • Options
    I would've insisted we do a sneak peek beforehand, we ended up with not many photos of the two of us because...We didn't have water available for us post ceremony.  Worst part of the whole day being so parched, def would recommend water.I'd consider doing something much smaller scale.  Maybe immediate family and closest friends with a party later on???  I'd wear less of a dress.  Loved my dress, but it was a lot to lug around...
    BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
    BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
    BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • Options
    Oh and I wouldn't have work a veil for an outdoor ceremony.  Was only a light breeze, but the dang thing kept blowing in my face.
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • Options
    I would have found the money in the budget to hire a DOC instead of having my SIL take care of things that day.  Everything went fairly smoothly from everyone else's standpoint, but there were several small things that weren't done quite right (according to my "plan") that would have gotten done, had someone been paid to ensure they were right.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would have picked a different reception venue, something a little more casual, maybe outside.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There aren't too many things I'd do differently.  -I would have spent less on my veil, since I took it off after the cocktail hour. -I would have worn wedge heels, so my heels wouldn't have stuck into the ground (we had an outdoor ceremony and reception).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I usually take charge of everything, but I let go so that I could "enjoy" the day. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I allowed myself to oversee some things. I would have made the cake vendor give me a copy of her notes as part of the contract. They did not give us what we provided in our sketches. I would have told my ILs that everything started an hour sooner.
  • Options
    Although I loved my wedding and everything about it, I still would have just gone to Vegas and got it done and over with.
  • Options
    Although we had a great day, there are definitely a some things that I would have done differently: I would have done pictures beforehand at my house instead of at a park near the venue. Almost everyone was at my house so it would have been a lot easier, and we wouldn't have gotten stuck in awful traffic for 45 minutes (putting us behind.) I didn't think about this ahead of time. I would have made sure to get a few pictures that I really wanted (me w/ brothers, me w/ cousins, me w/ aunts and uncle.) Because we were behind, we missed out on some great photos. I wish I had done reserved seating for the ceremony. People who I hadn't seen in years were sitting in front of my close friends and family. My hard-of-hearing relatives were near the back. It was a bit off. I would have double and triple checked that my family would be told where to sit for the ceremony. My grandparents were bumped to the 2nd row, leaving the front row with 4 empty chairs, and that was upsetting. Although we had a meeting with our DJ a week before the wedding, I would have called and made sure that a) he was bringing a mic for our outdoor ceremony and b) he had our first dance song. He had neither on the day of. I wish I had insisted that the maitre'd do my bustle right. I paid good money for it and she effed it up. My aunt knew what to do, but the maitre'd took over and it looked like shiit. I would have eaten more food. I heard it was great and I got 1 bite of chicken and a few spoonfuls of rice. I was so focused on visiting with guests that I didn't eat much (or dance with DH much!) On wedding day, DH and I didn't stress about any of this because it was all out of our control. That's the biggest piece of advice I have for those getting married. Not everything will go according to plan, so don't allow things you can't control to stress you out - totally not worth it.
  • Options
    LOTS OF THINGS: *I would have researched that city buildings control A/C and don't turn it on before a certain date (even if it's 88 degrees outside AND on a golf course) *I would have worn less of a dress just for the simple fact of the no A/C at the reception *I would have chosen a more scenic and smaller church.  We went to the church for this specific pastor, only to have him back out 2 weeks prior so we were stuck with a pastor that didn't do a good job AND the pictures don't look that great because the church just wasn't elegant and pretty (green carpet).  I'd have more of a rustic image in my head for what it should have looked like *I would NOT have tried to include my estranged sister in the big day, I'd have left her as a guest and that's it.  She caused huges problems the day of that I didn't even hear about until about 3 weeks later, making me look bad with the IL's and I didn't even know anything happened and by then it was too late for a formal apology *I'd have found a babysitter for our daughter during the ceremony.  She cried the ENTIRE time.  And not one person thought they should take her out of the room.  I could go on and on..........I'm happy to be married.  I definitely won't OOOOH and AAAAH over my wedding day for years to come.  LOL. 
  • Options
    TIde - After talking with my aunt after the wedding, she said that it looks like I needed a DOC. I am always so worried about other people and that definitely showed on wedding day!
  • Options
    DITTO SHAGADELK...........I would run away and elope if I had to do it all over again!  But in the long run I'm glad that we went through with it. 
  • Options
    *work=worn
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • Options
    I would have gone to the Justice of the Peace with just our parents and siblings and then gone to dinner. Much cheaper and more low-key. I would have also taken a longer honeymoon.
  • Options
    Sometimes, I wish we had done something more simple too. I talked with DH the other day and we came to the conclusion that we did a bigger wedding for our families. We would have been happy at a courthouse, but we knew that people, most especially his mother, would be saddened if we just ran off and got married. I still wish we had spent less and done something smaller.
  • Options
    GGmae - its sooo hard to give up control, especially if you're the one doing all of the planning. But, lesson learned, you can't be the planner and the bride all in one day.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ggmae, we also had a bigger wedding for our families, specifically his mom. When we do our one year vow renewal, it's gonna be our way! Did I say one year? I meant fifty. :)
  • Options
    I would have hired a different DOC, mine sucked so bad it was horrible...she was 2 hours late!I would have taken more time in the beginning to look for a dress. I would have waited till oct. or november to get married rather than doing it in July.
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't have changed anything. aside from the weather, it went exactly as planned
  • Options
    I owuld not have had SIL in wedding I would have said thankyou to everyone for coming I would have danced more Stopped for a few minutes to take it all in
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I would have had the small itty bitty wedding we had originally discussed, NOT spent all that money on the wedding and used it instead for a downpayment on a house ;)
  • Options
    I would have made a must-take photo list.  That's still one of my larger regrets.And I would have relaxed more on the days leading up to the wedding. 
  • Options
    I would have found a cheaper caterer.  The cost of the catering is the only thing that makes me wince - although I do truly believe that not very many caterers could have pulled off the style reception we had.
  • Options
    I would have requested a playlist from the DJ and made changes.  Many changes.I would have also done a must-take photo list.  I would have said thank you to BMs and parents.  I was so frazzled on the day of that I didn't get to until after brunch the next day.
  • Options
    We only had 68 guests so from a size perspective it was perfect. I would have said no to MIL's offer to host the RD (which became a welcome party) because in the end it was nothing like what I wanted and was completely out of place with the rest of the weekend.
  • Options
    I would have had my hair done earlier in the day.  Somehow 6 hours wasn't enough time.I would have spent more time visiting tables.  There are people I missed and I feel horrible about that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would have done a "sneak peak" with DH before the ceremony. I didn't feel like he and I had a moment together to enjoy the occasion at any point during the day. It was so hectic and flew by, and we were always surrounded by people who wanted to talk to us.I would have spent more time with my bridesmaids during the reception. I barely spoke to them at all because I was surrounded by OOT friends and family. The only pics I really have with them are the posed ones. No sweet candids of us hanging out and enjoying the day.
  • Options
    I would have paid someone to do setup. My FI was running around 20 minutes before finishing things up. I would have had tables released for the buffet. The DJ recommended saying immediate family could go, then everyone. But my immediate family--including BM and parents--got stuck at the end of the line!I forgot to look at my FI as I walked down the aisle.I would eat more food--it was good, but we needed to say hi to everyone.It was outside and hot. I would have provided drinks for people before the ceremony and had more fans under the tent at the reception.Don't forget to dance w/ your new husband.Smile all day--people are taking your picture when you dont know it.It was still a great, great day!
  • Options
    Besides the weather... my wedding was pretty much what I imagined it would be.  That said... there are a couple of things I would do differently... I would have hired a DOC... instead of using a friend of the hostess... I didn't know her well enough and didn't get enough time to explain things to her that weren't on the list I provided (because they were unforseen... like the "altar pieces" not being placed on the pillars before the ceremony... They sat on the dance floor in the tent shielded from the sun but never made it to their correct place.  $$ down the drain there.)I would have spent more time with my husband.  We kept getting dragged all over by everyone who wanted our attention that pretty much after the first dance... we hardly saw each other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards