40-Plus Brides

No new posts in a week? Wow.

What's up ladies?

How's a girl supposed to lurk over here if y'all aren't posting anything?  ;)

Wanna chat?  Topics?

*recipes (especially yummy fall ones)
*estrogen
*hobbies  (anyone want to teach me to crochet?)
*gifts for hard to buy men
*vents
*what do you judge?

Take your pick.  Let's talk.

Re: No new posts in a week? Wow.

• And I though SB was dead...
  • Ok, I'll bite. To get things realy going:   What do I judge?  People who say "oh, I want this to be my first and ONLY wedding? "  Really?  What if your spouse dies?  I would hope that you would find love again and not spend a lonely remainder of your life.    

Or this one:  "I didn't have a wedding the first time, we just ran off to the JOP"  You did have a wedding, you just didn't have a RECEPTION. 

And bad grammar.  Oh, I make mistakes, but I think everyone should know that an invitation is the noun, and to invite, is the verb.  Hey, Knot gods!!!!  You have bad grammar!  Invites? NOOOOOO!  It's INVITATIONS.    Also, we're were,  and they're, their, and there, everyone should know the difference by the age of 12.  And aisle and isle.  Dang ninnies. 

::: gets off soapbox for next person's turn:::
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I'm just in a funk because one of the two major parties now has a publicly stated goal of destroying my marriage.  Really, guys?  This is your idea of "family values"?
  • estrogen?  I have none :(

I agree Anna; not just here but SB and E.  Even Chit Chat.

Hmmmm...gifts for the hard to buy man?  Well, mine golfs so I thought that would be an endless supply of gifts.  Wrong.  Whatever he wants that pertains to golf, he buys.  He knows what he likes.  So it's usually a GC for Golfsmith.  Now, let's talk about the hard to buy for 80 year old moms.  Both MiL and my mother are turning 80 in the next two months.  MiL is coming here to celebrate next week with her kids and we are going in Oct to mom's in FL for her 80th bash.  MiL is pretty tech savvy so the sibs were thinking about a Kindle or the Think Pad (?).  My mom not so much, but she desperately wants a laptop computer.  I just can't see letting her go on the internet.  We'll be supporting Nigerian princes long after she's gone. :(
  • 2dBride: i don't get it.  At all.  We're having debates in a current events sociology class I'm taking for fun and I have yet to hear an intelligent con argument.  I argued that I can't think of a single action another human could take that would make our marriage worth any less to me so the hell with people thinking using the term "marriage" somehow makes theirs less special. (not to mention other issues like financial, POA, survivorship, custody issues).

Marrin:  That was my exact same thought about my H being a golfer.  outside of some novelty type balls or tees as stocking stuffers, the darn man buys everything he wants.

We just got H's mom a little netbook.  We had the geek squad set it up so she gets one-click icons on the desktop for her gmail, facebook (*sigh* not that she uses it right), gardening webpages, and an online recipe box.  No problems thus far!
  • I judge those who judge me because:

(1)  I did not wear a white dress for my wedding (for either wedding, actually).  Why must I want to wear the same type of outfit I wore in 2nd grade for my first Holy Communion for my wedding to be valid?  Been there, done that.  And honestly, brides on TK who mention, "Oh, that's because its your second wedding."  Do they know how insulting that is?

(2)  I did not change my last name when I married, either time.  How does changing one's name reflect a deeper love or stronger commitment?  And why, oh why, must the woman change her name and not the man????

(3)  I did not include response cards in my invitations.  We used the traditional "R.S.V.P." in the lower left corner of the invitation. Yup, we're old school.  And guess what?  We received responses from 90% - 95% of our guests.  I think that's the going reply rate (or a wee bit better) for those who include response cards.

That's all.  Oh yeah, the grammar, diction and spelling faux pas on TK drive me insane.  OK, there, that's all.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_no-new-posts-in-a-week-wow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:7c57f091-098b-4300-a58c-e58dea2d8cdaPost:0bd23c24-a8fa-4c0d-a08b-8aa7deac62b3">Re: No new posts in a week? Wow.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm just in a funk because one of the two major parties now has a publicly stated goal of destroying my marriage.  Really, guys?  This is your idea of "family values"?
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

2dBride, I'm with you.  H and I are not happy, at all, with where things seem to be moving with regard to what we feel are very personal issues, strongly rooted in fundamental human rights -- marriage equality, reproductive rights, access to health care.  Oye! 

Don't get me started.  And if I hear one more politician proclaim that the US is (was founded as) a Chirstian nation, I may lose my mind. *sigh*  Sheesh!  Do these people even read the writings of the founding fathers?  *sigh*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_no-new-posts-in-a-week-wow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:7c57f091-098b-4300-a58c-e58dea2d8cdaPost:d53085b1-b0ea-4e18-9979-e0a046675aa5">Re: No new posts in a week? Wow.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I judge those who judge me because:   (1)  I did not wear a white dress for my wedding (for either wedding, actually).  Why must I want to wear the same type of outfit I wore in 2nd grade for my first Holy Communion for my wedding to be valid?  Been there, done that.  And honestly, brides on TK who mention, "Oh, that's because its your second wedding."  Do they know how insulting that is? (2)  I did not change my last name when I married, either time.  How does changing one's name reflect a deeper love or stronger commitment?  And why, oh why, must the woman change her name and not the man???? (3)  I did not include response cards in my invitations.  We used the traditional "R.S.V.P." in the lower left corner of the invitation. Yup, we're old school.  And guess what?  We received responses from 90% - 95% of our guests.  I think that's the going reply rate (or a wee bit better) for those who include response cards. That's all.  Oh yeah, the grammar, diction and spelling faux pas on TK drive me insane.  OK, there, that's all.
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE](1) I wore a white dress for my first wedding, and an ivory one for my second.  And I still think it is ridiculous that people think women "have to" wear a white dress to be married, or that they "can't" wear one if they are not virgins.  I love <a href="http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2007-08-01/features/0707300131_1_wedding-dress-etiquette-manners" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Miss Manners's comments on the issue</a>:

Did you never see anything wrong with the idea that brides should be publicly packaged and labeled according to their purity?

When the color of the wedding dress came to be considered a declaration that its contents were new or used, Miss Manners cannot say. She only knows how relieved she is that this has ceased - or so she thought, until you spoke up.

(2) I also didn't change my name with either of my marriages.  At one point, one of my colleagues asked, "Why don't you and your husband have the same last name?"  Without missing a beat, I replied, "He decided to keep his maiden name when we got married." 

(3) We had online responses to our wedding, because NotFroofy is a bit of a geek, and was able to set things up so that all the responses got neatly inserted into a Google doc for us.  But it drives me nuts when people claim that response cards are mandated by etiquette.  Actually, etiquette traditionally frowned on response cards, because they would insult your guests by suggesting that they wouldn't send proper written responses if they didn't get prefilled cards.  These days, they are permitted, but they are certainly not required.
  • Anna - thanks for the netbook tip.  There's a slight language barrier with my mom as well so a Geek Squadder might have difficulties, but she has several good friends in her neighborhood who use the Internet and would probably be able to problem solve if needed.
  • I didn't change my name with either of my marriages.  When someone asks why we don't have the same last name I reply:

"Well, we're NOT brother and sister!  We don't do that in OUR family!"    That stops 'em dead.  :-) 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I judge people that get upset if another person wears white to a wedding.  Like anyone else woudl confuse them with the bride?!  I know this is a hot button for others but it really is not something that I have ever thought of or been concerned about.  I've been to many weddings where the MOB wore a white gown.

Estrogen....? We'll see.  Had cryoblade surgery six months ago due to problems with Endometriosis and really heavy periods and cycle is supposed to start on Saturday. I am hoping that I can say b-bye to periods once and for all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_no-new-posts-in-a-week-wow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:7c57f091-098b-4300-a58c-e58dea2d8cdaPost:da71e64c-84a5-4e97-9431-d1e046a965a1">Re: No new posts in a week? Wow.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I judge people that get upset if another person wears white to a wedding.  Like anyone else woudl confuse them with the bride?!  I know this is a hot button for others but it really is not something that I have ever thought of or been concerned about.  I've been to many weddings where the MOB wore a white gown. Estrogen....? We'll see.  Had cryoblade surgery six months ago due to problems with Endometriosis and really heavy periods and cycle is supposed to start on Saturday. I am hoping that I can say b-bye to periods once and for all.
    Posted by kikirst33[/QUOTE]Someone wore a white blouse and white skirt to our wedding.  But I don't think anyone confused him with either of the brides.
  • Kikirst, uh, yeah, I judge those that don't see a problem with wearing white to a wedding.  While I don't think anyone would confuse the bride with those wearing white, I take exception to it, and here's why.   For my first wedding, my FMIL bought a white dress.  I was in a tea length dress, and she had bought a white dress.  Yeah, NO.  No white at weddings unless it's a shirt on a gentleman, or on the bride(s). 

• Ahhh! Anna ...l you're in SD. I LOVE South Dakota. So beautiful ...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Three vents: 1. i hait por speling an por Grammer. May be cuz im A techer. Spcialy da miss use of ' Whew! That was hard! 2. Brides who EXPECT their bridesmaids to do a list of things for them, but criticize me when I say I have a lot of friends helping me with the baking, decorating, etc. I've been told it's rude to ask friends to help. They don't know MY friends. My friends would be hurt if I DIDN'T ask them to help! 3. Not a real vent, just an observation. Feel free to disagree. The younger brides seem to get so hung up on the little stuffoutright panic if the invitation is not the same shade of ivory as the place card, etc. I guess that at 48 I am so beyond that. The small stuff really doesn't matter.
  • Hi Ladies,
    Just wanted to say hi. I have just joined the site as I thought I needed a bit of inspiration for my 3rd wedding. Never thought I would do this again but here goes.lol. Marrying my soul mate next year and would like to chat to other serial wedding planners lmao. Not sure how to use the site and struggling to follow the chat here but anyway hey ho.Have a good day everyone.Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards