Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Year End Bonus

2»

Re: Year End Bonus

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_year-end-bonus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e6c556d5-3308-4951-9a32-11697c007e94Post:b080cf34-ed21-483f-bdbb-1ae09a0319a2">Re: Year End Bonus</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow LP - that is ridiculous.  Vent away!
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>It's SO ridiculous.  There are supposed to be 3 Community Support Providers (my position), but from April to July this year I was by myself because the 2 that I originally started with, plus one that was hired in October 09, all quit.  So I was expected to bill 3 caseloads worth.  Um, not possible.  Then it got a little better when we hired J in July...but she just told me Monday that she's 99% sure she's going to quit soon.</div><div>
    </div><div>I have soooo many stories that demonstrate exactly how ridiculous it is (what I posted is just the tip of the iceberg), but I'm already feeling unprofessional for posting that much so I'll keep my mouth (fingers?) shut.</div><div>
    </div><div>I can't quit because we need the money (though it's not a lot) and I do love working with my clients.  H is looking for a new job out of state, so hopefully he'll find one soon and I can get out of here. </div>
  • Options
    FI is part owner ( its a family business). His dad is the #1 boss as they say and he is giving FI, FI's Brother and the other 2 guys bonuses. I told FI to not take the bonus since his parents are paying for the majority of the wedding and it just seemed strang to me. He told FFIL and he said that has nothing to do with his bonus and we can use the money on our cruise so just take it.
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • Options
    No bonuses, but jobs are so scarce in my field right now that I'm pretty tickled just to have a paycheck. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    No and we haven't had even cost of living raises in over 2 years. Be thankful you get anything. 

ETA: I work at a private university. SO that probably makes a difference. H works for a large corporation and he will probably get a bonus but I haven't asked him about it. He got a really nice one last year. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've worked on Wall Street most of my life and my bonus was always the largest part of my income.
  • Options
    I've worked for two big companies now (in excess of 100,000 employees), and neither gives/gave a year-end bonus.  Some managers give small gifts to their employees, but it's out of their own pocket. 

One of the two does variable pay in the spring.  It's an expected part of your compensation, though, and it's calculated based on the performance of your business unit and your annual rating.  Usually, it was 6 - 8% of your annual pay. 

I spent a little while with a private company, and they did small Christmas bonuses.  $100 or so. 

Calypso, your comment really struck me the wrong way too.  It'd be one thing if you said she should be thankful to have a bonus.  But the thankful to have a job part just sounds. . . obnoxious.  You really think that people who are good employees, who do their job well and deliver for their employer should grovel and be thankful to have a job?  Whether it's cash or even just a nice card, it would be nice of employers to remember that their employees are people too, and that without them business would grind to a halt.  True, any one person is (generally) expendable, but c'mon.  Surely you are not so heartless as to actually think that way.

If so, perhaps you've become a bit jaded in HR and it's time for a career change or at least a long vacation.

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I got $350.  I have no idea how it was calculated.  It just showed up on my paycheck, and this is my first year.  

I wish it was more (I'm underpaid, and the partners are making money hand over fist), but it's better than nothing.  I'm $350 (before taxes) closer to a winter getaway.  
  • Options
    My company gives each employee some where between $1000-$5000 as a bonus, depending on their role in the company and length of service, and then there are incentives tied to your department hitting their goals. Bonuses are never guaranteed, but they are so nice when they happen!
  • Options
    I got my bonus ($$) last week. It is awesome, but taxed all to hell.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I got 4 tickets to come to my work on my day off. I also get 4 tickets for my birthday. My BF is a manager at the same company and he gets a bonus depending on how well he budgeted for his department.
    We also get bonuses for lenght of time with the company: a watch at 5 years, money plus another item every 5 years after that.

• Options
    First time in a job where a bonus wasn't given.  Sucks.  Although their benefits are very generous, nothing compares to that fat envelope with money at the end of the year!
  • Options
    I am a teacher and we haven't even had a COLA or a step in three years. Our salaries have been frozen and we have been furloughed days for two years now. So a year end bonus is not an option. I get frustrated when I hear people complaining that they got smaller bonuses than usual and when they say our raises were small and complaining about that. What really iritates me is when Pro ball players strike or complain about no raises...let them play a season on a public school teachers salary. Sorry for the rant its just that we got the news yesterday there will be another year of no raises or steps and frozen salaries next school year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    .I did choose to be a teacher...and I love what I do and would not change careers, but when I am barely making enough money to cover the mortgage and the household bills it gets tough. I work 200 days a year as a teacher in MD, and we get nothing in return. I would like to see you try and do a teachers job for a day. I run a preschool program that my high school students teach the preschoolers so I have 30 HS students and 13 prek's from 7 am until 2 pm...and then I have to grade papers and plan for the next day. I take approx 4 hrs of work home with me and this is not considered unusual for a teacher. 9 to 5 ers don't have to take much home with them, but we do and we deserve to get paid for the hard work we do. And with NCLB we are held accountable for test scores and attendance of our students...our jobs depend on it. So I think we public educators can complain on our lack of raises or pay increses.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sorry, i was MIA for a bit.

i still stand by my comment.  being in HR i see people every day applying for jobs that have been laid off months, even 1 or 2 years.  OP's coworker has a job AND got some type of a bonus/thank you.  and she thinks it should be more??

im in government.  we cant do bonuses because we cant use taxpayer dollars for them.  we have to even pay for our own christmas party.  that said, i always make sure i generously reward my admin staff not only at christmas time, but at other times during the year, even if its somethign small like a starbucks on a random tuesday afternoon.  honestly, they are happy even getting a "thank you" or a "job well done".  i think its erroneous to think that rewarding employees has to equal money. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_year-end-bonus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e6c556d5-3308-4951-9a32-11697c007e94Post:05208796-54ff-4945-a8aa-ebef32744440">Re: Year End Bonus</a>:
    [QUOTE].I did choose to be a teacher...and I love what I do and would not change careers, but when I am barely making enough money to cover the mortgage and the household bills it gets tough. I work 200 days a year as a teacher in MD, and we get nothing in return. <strong>I would like to see you try and do a teachers job for a day.</strong> I run a preschool program that my high school students teach the preschoolers so I have 30 HS students and 13 prek's from 7 am until 2 pm...and then I have to grade papers and plan for the next day. I take approx 4 hrs of work home with me and this is not considered unusual for a teacher. 9 to 5 ers don't have to take much home with them, but we do and we deserve to get paid for the hard work we do. And with NCLB we are held accountable for test scores and attendance of our students...our jobs depend on it. So I think we public educators can complain on our lack of raises or pay increses.
    Posted by Mary Susan and Chris[/QUOTE]<div>You know, I really hate when people say things like this.  My job is hard as hell and incredibly physically demanding.  You aren't the only one with a tough job, sweetheart.  I have a lot of friends who are teachers, I do agree that for the most part, teachers are underpaid and underappreciated.  But I feel I am as well.  

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Mary Susan I am also a teacher and really don't like when other teachers act like we need all this sympathy.  We chose to go into this profession knowing what the pay was like, knowing what the work was like, and knowing how easy it is for them to take away raises and funding.  It does suck when it happens, but it does.  I'm a phys ed and health teacher, so I am usually the first one to experience the cuts in funding.  I'm not working right now because I moved, but at my last district they cut positions and gave us heavier class loads to make up the difference.  It absolutely sucked, but I was appreciative that I still had a job.  

I make it a point to never bring work home with me, even if that means going in early and always working through my lunch.  It annoys the crap out of me when I would hear my old coworkers complaining about how much work they had to do at home when I see them gossiping their whole lunch break, running in the school 5 minutes before the kids enter, and being the first ones to pull out of the parking lot.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards