Chinese Weddings

How much to put in red envelopes?

We're having our tea ceremony and banquet this Saturday (doing this in San Francisco where all of my family is -- we got married and had a formal ceremony and reception on 9/19 in Nebraska)...  I know we're supposed to give red envelopes to relatives younger than us that are unmarried.  My question is -- how much?  I have no idea as I've never attended a tea ceremony before.  Are we talking about like $1's or $20's?  And we're supposed to give two envelopes to each "child", right?  I didn't know if there was like a norm out there in the Chinese community that them or their parents would expect...Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How much to put in red envelopes?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Umm... I didn't know about this tradition so I didn't give away any red envelopes to younger relatives. But my parents gave red envelopes to my cousins who helped out with the tea ceremony (the ones who poured the tea, held the tray, etc.). I think that they contained something small, maybe $20 or $30.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For little kids, we're talking about 1's and 5's. For older, we're talking 10's and 20's. I don't think the amount is very important because (with the exception of kittle kids) no one opens it until after the event, anyway. It's rude to open in front of others.Just give as your hearts feels.  Just a Thank You tip.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    we gave out 5's to our younger cousins.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your responses!  I know we're supposed to give two envelopes to each younger, unmarried relative, so I think we're just going to go ahead with one $5 in each envelope for a total of $10 per person. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    you don't really give out red envelops to younger kids during your wedding. you receive envelops from elders. you usually give them out during new years, etc after you are married.
  • edited December 2011
    jsmlo - actually you also give them out after your tea ceremony (or after you get married) too!
  • seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $10-$20 each envelope is fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards