Chit Chat
Options

HOW LONG DID YOU DATE BEFORE YOU GOT ENGAGED?

Re: HOW LONG DID YOU DATE BEFORE YOU GOT ENGAGED?

• Options
    We were set up on our first date.  Then dated for about a month and became "officially" bf/gf.  Six monthes of that and we moved in together.  We've lived together for a year now and are getting married in less then 6 monthes.  We're getting married on the 2 year anniversary of the day we met.  I think I knew within the first month, and he says the same thing.  I'm glad we've still givin it time though.  It makes me feel like we've covered our bases without cutting anything short.
  • Options
    My FI and I were together 7 years before we got engaged. But I knew he was the one I was going to marry within 3 weeks of dating/knowing him. We were practically living together within two months and officially moved in at 1 year. It was always just "right". I just had never felt that much of a fit or comfort with anyone before. Things were just the way they should be. So...yes, it can happen that fast.
  • Options
    I think your a good friend for being concerned about her but my FI and I met in 2004 at school but I moved in 2005 after only knowing him app 9 months. We stayed in touch (sorta) through facebook and a few random text messages. We went on our first date in March of this year and I knew from that first date that I was going to marry him and he will tell you the same thing. We got engaged July 4th and are getting married Decemeber 5th of this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My "unofficial" fiance and I have been dating for a little over a year.  We knew by month three that we would be together forever.That said we both now our respective families would freak out if we got engaged now.  So we are enjoying the dating right now and will get engaged in about 18 months, when he finishes school.  Then we figure about another 18 months before we get married, so that I will be finished with school.Sometimes you just know when your heart has found its other half.  That said, there is still no need to rush.  We could get married tomorrow or 10 years from now and our love for each other would still be the same.
  • Options
    We were dating for 2 years before we got engaged, 4 years before we got married.I think you can know right away, but if you're really going to be together "forever,"  why not  wait a few years before getting engaged? We talked about marriage 3 weeks into dating, but we waited because we didn't see a reason to rush. We "knew" very early on, but I bet plenty of couples that end up breaking up or divorced can "know" too. Taking extra time to get to know one another is never a bad thing.
  • Options
    I feel really old-fashioned compared to most of these responses - but we didn't get engaged until our 5-year anniversary.  By the time we get married, we will have been together for 6 years and 2 months.  We moved in together after 3 years and bought a house about 7 months after that.  I guess I never understood what the rush was!  In a way, it feels like we've been married for years; we own a home together and have a puppy!
  • Options
    This November we will have been together officially for 2 years. We will have been engaged for a year also. He proposed on our one year anniversary. I never thought I'd get engaged so early, but it just felt right, you know? We had known each other for about 2 years prior to dating too.
  • Options
    My hubbi and I were high school sweethearts - dated for about a year before breaking up and not talking for about a year and a half. We reconnected and got back together and dated for 8 - 9 months before getting engaged and then married 9 months later. We were married April 30th 2003 in the local courthouse. At 19 and 20 we were unable to afford the wedding we truly wanted and decided to renew our vows when we were more financially stable - have the wedding of our dreams. I'm super excited because we have decided to renew our vows in 2011, on our 8 year anniversary. When it comes to your friend, my relationship, and my view on life in general... I'm a firm believer in fate. If it is meant to be it will be. While I agree that it may seem she is rushing things a bit, they are they only ones in control of their destiny and happiness. Friends told me the same thing when my hubbi and I got back together. It was as if we had never been apart. The time apart had strengthened our relationship some how.. I don't know how to explain it, but I just knew... my life was complete. All you can really do is be there to support her - share in her joy and comfort her in times of sorrow. What ever is meant to be will be...
  • Options
    i can't really say since my husband (i will never tire of writing that) and i dated for 10 years 3 days before getting engaged and our engagement was over a year.. however, we were really young when we started dating (13 almost 14yo) and I would classify most of our relationship a friendship. I would also say i knew i wanted to be with him for the rest of my life when i was that young, in fact, i would say i didn't want him out of my life after our first date, i just didn't know it then. My sister and her fiancee knew each other only a few months before getting engaged but they honestly belive they are meant for each other. Sometimes i think you just know. I also think even if you know you love the other person, you also need to get to know their daily habits etc before commiting to them for the rest of your life. I think that can seriously make the difference IMO.
  • Options
    I think the time period in question is different from person to person and couple to couple. It's really a personal decision, as it should be.In regards to myself, my fiance and I both just turned twenty this month. We met and became friends during our freshman year of high school five years ago and have been together just over four and a half years. After graduating high school in 2008, we moved from New Jersey to Indiana to attend college. We got engaged this past February just shy of our four year anniversary and will be married on October 24, 2010. By that time we will both have just turned 21 and will have been together for five and a half years. Quite frankly, we started speaking about marriage a few months into our relationship, as awkward as that may sound given the fact that we don't exactly go along with today's "norms."
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We dated for four years but I totally knew the night I met him.  It took him a while longer.
  • Options
    Married less than a year after meeting. I am an older bride so I have been through all the I don't likes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have been together 7 years before we got engaged. We met in high school we have been together since sophomores in high school. We will be together 8 years before we will be married :) We both agreed to wait until we were out of college and had a steady job.
  • Options
    Dated for 1 1/2 years before he proposed. We will be engaged for 2 years before we get married. So.. 3 1/2 years total
  • Options
    We dated for 5 years before getting engaged. I sort of knew him through work, but not really, so just 5 years! 3 days, no way!
  • Options
    My FI and I met and started dating less than a month later. He proposed 3 months after we started dating. We set our wedding date for 2 yrs from the day we are engaged. We have 9 months to go! (And my future in laws got engaged 4 months after they started dating and have been married for 24 yrs!)
  • Options
    My fiance and I are high-school sweethearts and have been together since we were 15 (except for a 8-month period in hs when we broke up). So, we have been dating for a total of about 6 years...we have been engaged for the past almost 2.5 years. We are finally getting married this December...we are both 22 years old. :)
  • Options
    DH and I were friends for 2 years first and he took me to Pittsburg to rescue a friend of mine from herself. He asked for nothing in return. I realized then that I loved him. He was everything I wanted in a man. the kind of man I thought didn't even exist. We started dating shortly after. We were only dating for 3 months when he got my ring size and asked what style of ring I would like. Six months later I got the ring and now 1 1/2years later we are married. I couldn't be happier. Well, I could if he could be home every night. But I knew he was a truck driver when we got together.
  • Options
    FI and I met on a blind date, made it official the next day, got engaged one year and seven months later on xmas morning. Will be getting married the spring i graduate college...so far 2012.
  • Options
    My fiance and I knew each other for two years. We were friends for a few months before we started dating, then moved in together a few months after that. Lived together for a year and he proposed. And now it's been another year :D
  • Options
    2 years 8 months and 4 days and will be getting married may 22nd 2010.Started dateing october 15th 2006 and fot engaged June 5th 2009 so on october 15th 2009 it was 3 years and when we get married in may it will be almost 4 yearss!
  • Options
    It's one thing to say she thinks he's the one she will marry, it's another for them to get engaged after that amount of time!  I definitely believe that "when you know, you know," but it doesn't mean that it has to be an official engagement yet.  My fiance told his mother shortly after we started dating that he knew I was the one he was going to marry, and he and I also discussed it pretty early on.  We didn't get engaged then; just talked about the possibility of our marriage and our hypothetical wedding.  We got engaged after we had been together for a year and a half, more than enough time to put others (and maybe ourselves) at ease that we were, in fact, meant for each other.  (I am only 20 years old after all!)  Anyway, my point is that it is very okay for her to say she thinks he's the one; she very well could be right.  What she probably shouldn't do is decide in her mind that it's an absolute fact, because that could be detrimental.  It makes a break-up harder (if that does happen), and will make it harder for her to even see herself in any other situation, regardless of what may be good for her.  Sorry for the rambling---hopefully my point makes sense.  Good luck, and good job being a good enough friend to care...seriously!  =)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Options
    We dated for 2 1/2 years (high school sweetharts), broke up for about 1 1/2 years in college (but remained close friends) and then we had been back together for a little over a year when he proposed. We'll have been engaged for 3 years when we get married. We were still in school when he proposed, we had a long engagement so we could focus on getting jobs after graduation and then saving up money.Needless to say, our relationship spans about 5 years. I know everything thing about him and vice versa. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    Almost 4 years when he proposed!
  • Options
    We dated for 6 months prior to getting engaged and have a 9 month engagement - only because we couldn't get my parents out here sooner.
  • Options
    K and I knew each other for 3 years and communicated frequently through our relationships (we were always "friends") and dated for close to two years before he popped the question. This is the first marriage for both of us.
  • Options
    FI and I knew each other and were friends for 2 years. We became "official" in March, I moved in with him in April and were engaged in July. After being in a 3 year long relationship before him that was totally wrong, I knew from our first date together that there was something different about him, but I didn't know if he felt the same. He told me just 3 weeks after we started dating that I was the girl he wanted to marry. I think the only thing that matters is that your friend is happy :)
  • Options
    For us, it was about 10 years! We met in January of 2000 (the very first week actually), went out on our first date one week later, and began dating right away...and continued to date without breaks until we were engaged this past summer...yes, it was a loooong time!And yes, I was ready to start talking marriage after the first 3-4 years, but he is the one who took things slowly...in fact, our private joke is that he takes a long time do just about everything :-)...but, looking back on it, I probably would do it all over again. There really is no substitute for knowing your FI inside and out before taking that step. Although granted, I'm sure we could have come to this point earlier than 9 and a half years!!
  • Options
    I think u know when it's right. Whether it's 3 days or 3 years u really never know someone. if it feels right, I say go with it all the way. I've been with my fiance for 1 year and 5 months and love him with all my heart and soul. do i feel like i know him in and out? no. but i will marry him tomorrow if i could! my parents were together 27 years, did they know each other. I thought yes but apparently not. they hv been divorced now for 10 years.
  • Options
    We were engaged at around a year. Living together for about half of that. When we get married, we will have been together just under 15 months. And, we are both in our thirties, have both had some amazing life experiences and challenges, and both feel we have learned a lot through prior experiences (before one another as well as together) to know what works for us now. We are also both at this point very committed to our own self-development and awareness and we are both very aware as well of the challenges that may face us, and also prepared for the uncertainty of life too.  In our past, both of us had "near engagements" and common-law marriages with other partners, and we are relieved we did not rush into actual marriage with any of those. We just did not know ourselves, or our partners, enough to really be able to have truly healthy, mutually satisfying relationships. I am not saying this to say young marriages or "quick" marriages don't work out to be healthy and wonderful of course (as sometimes they certainly do), and at the same time, I do really believe that being where we are, and having had the experiences we have had, has really allowed my FI and I to have an incredibly open, honest and vulnerable relationship where we each recognize our responsibility for ourselves and also have abandoned the "roles" I so often see in many really rushed (by that I mean both time frame or relationship and/or ages of the couple) and the results are maybe not always disastrous, but they are often unfulfilling and unhealthy.We both feel incredibly blessed.At three days, it's still all about the fantasy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards