Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Time off?

How much time did you take off work for your wedding? Did you take a whole week off before the day or just a few days? I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much time I will actually need off. We plan on taking the week off after our wedding to spend together here in the twin cities and then in January we will go on our "real" honeymoon.
Anniversary

Re: Time off?

• Options
    kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took 2 weeks off.  I didnt really need that whole week before the wedding, but I had the PTO so I decided to go for it
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was on a Sunday, and I took the Thursday and Friday off beforehand... as well as the week after (we went on our honeymoon right away.)

Two days was almost perfect. I could have used a little more time, but then again, I had a lot of little stuff left to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My weekend was over Veterans Day so I had Thurs and Fri off, but then back to work on Monday :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a Sunday wedding.  I was off Thursday and Friday before, and Monday and Tuesday after.
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friday wedding, took off Thursday only and then the week after for our "mini moon"  I'm super organized and moderately type a so I didn't really  need any more time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is Memorial Day wknd and on Sat. so I am taking for sure Wes-Fri and the Mon after. I may have to pick up OOT guests so I might take the whole week off to get my hair done, massage, and wax and just hang out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having a Friday wedding and I just decided to take off the Monday-Thursday prior since 3/4 of my BM's are coming in early from OOT.  And then I'm taking off the Mon-Wednesday after.  I'm kind of a procrastinator so I'm sure I'll be in a panic getting last minute stuff done. 
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just planned this out yesterday! Ours is a Saturday & I'm taking 3 days off before:

Wednesday: House cleaning/last min preparations
    Thursday: BFF flies in from Germany! Pick her up & RD
    Friday: Spa day w/ afore-mentioned BFF & celebrating sister's bday
    Saturday: Wedding! :)

Then we'll be gone for two weeks for our honeymoon so it'll be a total of 13 business days out of the office
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_time-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:92369e88-068e-4804-a622-382701796276Post:85ff9b86-3406-49d3-bc01-c14143639063">Re: Time off?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having a Friday wedding and I just decided to take off the Monday-Thursday prior since 3/4 of my BM's are coming in early from OOT.  And then I'm taking off the Mon-Wednesday after.  I'm kind of a procrastinator so I'm sure I'll be in a panic getting last minute stuff done. 
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef[/QUOTE]

<div>You'd be surprised how many last minute things just get 'forgotten'.  I had so much little stuff I planned on doing the days I took off before the wedding.  Most of them got a 'meh, they don't really matter' response though, and no one noticed ;)</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is over my winter break, so no days off needed! I don't exactly get days off during the year otherwise, so that's why I did it this way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow I am only taking the day before the wedding off.  You ladies have me worried that it's not enough time.  Our wedding is on Saturday and I have Friday off.  That day we are decorating the venue, having the rehearsal dinner and possibly getting manis/pedis and a facial or something...

ETA I also have the Wednes-Tues after off, for the HM but am coming to work the M & Tues after the wedding because I can't burn up all my vacation time.
  • Options
    ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking the week off before and the week after.  We need to take the week off because we need to get our marriage license, so we didn't really have a choice.  We are taking a "mini-moon" the week after the wedding to Madison.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is on a Saturday.  I'm taking the Wed-Fri before and the week after it off.  I know I'm going to have a ton of crap to do.  I'm also thinking of taking the rest of the week before, but I'm hoping I won't need to.  I'd like to come back from this with some vacation time left.

Wednesday: run all the small errands I can and get the guest room ready before my BFF and her H get here on Thursday.  They're actually flying in on Wednesday, but going up north for the day to visit  her brother before they come down to our house.  I'm looking forward to having the whole day for myself to get everything done with nobody slowing me down.

Thursday: BFF and her H will be in town. Have to bring her H to get registered so he can perform our ceremony, then finish up the DIY stuff with BFF.  Dinner out with just the 4 of us, since I want some time for just my BFF and me.  I only get to see her every couple years, so I want to make sure to get in some quality 1-on-1 time.

Friday:  drop off stuff at reception venue, possibly set up ceremony space, rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, bachelor/ette parties.

No plans for the week after except relaxing.  Maybe a mini-moon, maybe a last-minute plane ride to somewhere depending on how much we get in gifts.  Hmmm... makes me wonder if we should get some passports, just in case.
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I arranged to take Thur/Fri/Mon off for my Saturday wedding -- we didn't go on a honeymoon. I didn't really have anything that needed to be done, so I didn't bother arranging for more time. But, right that Monday before my wedding when I went back to work, I was COMPLETELY distracted and kind of worthless. I talked to my supervisor, and ended up leaving work early on Tuesday, and taking an extra day and a half off.

That extra day and a half on my attendance is causing issues for me now; I'm missing out on some opportunities b/c I have too many absences. My point is that you might want to arrange for more time off than you think you'll really need -- it's probably to go to work on a day that you're not scheduled than to not show up when you're supposed to be there.
  • Options
    cltk12cltk12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took 3 weeks off. I have tons of PTO so I used it. Took the week prior and the 2 weeks after. We went on our honeymoon Tuesday to Tuesday....so that is why I took 2 weeks after, which was nice because it allowed to for some time to put away all our wedding gifts and switch them out for the items we were replacing. I was very organized and had most items done prior to the wedding, but like pp said I knew I wouldnt be able to focus at work that week before so I was glad I took it off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nordkenordke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Saturday wedding, taking Wed-Fri off before, full week after for mini-moon/relaxation, real HM next winter!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards