Students

Need Advice--Med School

So I'm in a huge delima and didn't know where to turn except here. :) I know that you are all awesome and I've already gotten some great advice from some of you that have already done med school and planned a wedding and what not.

So I had planned to take the MCAT again in September but can't due to the times/places it's offered and if I did want to take it it would be in like 2 weeks and I"m so not ready for it again.

So I if I would wait till January to take it, I wouldn't get my scores back until after the application is due. Would this be a big deal? Or should I put med school off a year and take the MCAT again in January or February and apply as soon as possible in the next cycle?

I'm sorta freaking out and having a break down and need some imput from someone.

Re: Need Advice--Med School

• So, first of all breathe, hehe -- I remember *hearing* (note: not knowing) that taking the MCAT in January was generally a bad idea for applications. I think this is probably true because it truly is about getting your application in ASAP, the DAY that it opens, if not the HOUR that it opens.  I was on the admissions committee at my school and I know that those who didn't have their scores were kind of put on the "back burner" until the scores came in.  So, others could potentially take your interview spot while the schools wait for your scores.

I also think and wish I had,  taking a yr off is a good thing, because you can get some research under your belt. Also, you can take a breather before medicine consumes your life (because it will, trust me).

So in summary, I think I would not panic about taking it in January of next yr and applying for the next cycle...I think that's what I would do in your situation.

Best of luck with your decision, I know it's so hard and so stressful right now; but you'll eventually look back and laugh at it all, seriously!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would absolutely wait to apply for the next cycle. You will not even be considered for interviews until your scores are in, so the earliest you would interview is February. By then, most classes are full and are basically interviewing for the waitlist. (Or if you don't tell them you are planning to retake it, they will just use your original score to decide, and then what is the point of retaking? Unless you are really expecting a big improvement this might just be the way to go and not bother with the retake.)

I know it seems frustrating to wait another year, but I ended up taking a couple years off and loved it. It not only makes you a more rounded applicant, but it will definitely give you a chance to breathe and enjoy other parts of life before med school. I am just starting my first year, and I am so much more excited for it than I would have been if I had gone straight into it.

FYI, this was actually my second time applying BECAUSE I applied late (September/October, so I really didn't think I was THAT late) the first time. I had two interviews the first time around and was waitlisted at both schools. This time I applied within a week of AMCAS being open, interviewed at 7 of the 11 schools I applied to, and was accepted at 5 of them, waitlisted at the other 2. In fact, pretty much all of my interviewers told me they were really surprised that I hadn't gotten in the first time and asked me why. Timing matters, save your time and money!
  • I agree with pp's.  Take the year out, and enjoy it.  Life/med school is not a race.  Take it easy on yourself, because it's harder to do that once you're in med school.  Good luck!!
  • I thoroughly agree with the above posters.  Take a year off.  Improve your resume and MCAT score and get in the first time around.  Timing is something that is rarely mentioned in the application process, but is SO critical.  

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PPs - if you can't take the MCAT until January, wait until next year to apply.  You can use the year to really add to your resume, too, as someone mentioned, by getting some kind of relevant internship or something if possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i also agree with PPs, though i am so old that i took the MCAT when it was only offered twice a year (april and august) and it wasnt even on the computer!

anyway, i think a year off is almost a PLUS with med school these days. most schools have an avg incoming student age of around 25 or 26, not right out of college. also, i think you could really help your applications by working for a year in the field of medicine (as a medical assistant, technician, etc) because a lot of what impresses committees (ive been on my schools MD/PhD admin committee for 4 years) is how much people actually know about what they are getting themselves into! 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_need-advice-med-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:8beec6a4-574e-40fd-ae92-6f3ab8e8f5c4Post:20e80c86-1934-45c3-b1da-d80a34ba2946">Re: Need Advice--Med School</a>:
    [QUOTE]i also agree with PPs,<strong> though i am so old that i took the MCAT when it was only offered twice a year (april and august) and it wasnt even on the computer! </strong>anyway, i think a year off is almost a PLUS with med school these days. most schools have an avg incoming student age of around 25 or 26, not right out of college. also, i think you could really help your applications by working for a year in the field of medicine (as a medical assistant, technician, etc) because a lot of what impresses committees (ive been on my schools MD/PhD admin committee for 4 years) is how much people actually know about what they are getting themselves into! 
    Posted by lynniearudner[/QUOTE]

That means you're old?  It was the same for me, too.
  • And me...and it was 8 hours long and pencil & paper, haha!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_need-advice-med-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:8beec6a4-574e-40fd-ae92-6f3ab8e8f5c4Post:35e25e96-2672-4b08-83b5-9b3c73007cbb">Re: Need Advice--Med School</a>:
    [QUOTE]And me...and it was 8 hours long and pencil & paper, haha!
    Posted by TriSaratops10[/QUOTE]

Yep, with a break for lunch in the middle.  We had to go to my school's cafeteria, and it was during new student orientation (I took it in August) and this girl got attitude with me because I was sitting at a table she had 'reserved' somehow. I was so stressed out that I completely lost it on her.  It's my biggest MCAT memory.
  • I would definitely take the year off - you will have so much more time to go through the application process comfortably, instead of traveling and doing all your interviews in the February.  My FI basically had an extra part-time job when he was applying, dealing with the essays, traveling, and general fretting. Better to spread it over a few months than one!

I just recently decided to take a year off before applying, even with the MCAT out of the way, because I couldn't imagine applying and writing my thesis at the same time.  Plus... it will give me a few months to plan the wedding! 

Looks like we might both be applying next summer/fall - good luck to you!! Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards