Catholic Weddings

Nuptial mass invitation wording

I will post this on the invite board as well but I was hoping you ladies could help too.  Does this sound ok?  Too long?  Does sacrament of holy matrimony or nuptial mass need to be capitalized?  Also, what fonts do people use?  I've see all capital print with the couple's names in script- is this standard?  Thanks so much!!

Their lives have been blessed

by their love for each other

and by their faith in the Lord

Equine Osmosis

and

FI Osmosis

request the honor of your presence

at the nuptial mass uniting them

in the sacrament of holy matrimony

on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of June

two thousand eleven

at half past two o’clock

Saint Bernard’s Catholic Church

Our town, California

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nuptial mass invitation wording

• aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds great, but would suggest the following:

-I believe it's better/suggested to use "half after two" as past is used for funerals
    -I capitalized Nuptial Mass on our invites, not sure about holy matrimony though, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the sacrament of marriage?
    -I used a all caps font and script for our names like you suggested, but I don't think it matters; I just like the way it looks!
    -Honour instead of honor
    -Is your church really St. Bernard's? Our church is St. Michael, but it is often abbreviated St. Mike's. I used the formal name for our invites
  • edited December 2011
    The church has "Saint Bernard's Catholic Church" on their website, apostrophe and all, so that's what I used.

I originally had "half after two" but all of my family thought that sounded awkward so I changed it.  I don't know if it matters...?

Do you have any idea what fonts you used?  All I have are what's on my computer (MS Word) so I need to figure out where to find more, preferably for free.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can download fonts for free from dafont.com .

It's after, not past.

I capitalized Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Snellhand Round for the main body of the text, and then Edwardian Script for the names and accents on the reception card, etc.

Pics in bio if you wanna see for some ideas.  DH downloaded this huge thing of fonts for me.  I might still have the zipped file.  If it's not too big maybe I can email it.  I can check when I get home if you'd like?
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On MS Word, I used Copperplate Gothic Light and Palace Script MT
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nuptial-mass-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d86faa54-62cc-4fbc-b8e2-35751a145118Post:2c0df233-0fc0-454c-b5af-e826bffc0d4c">Nuptial mass invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]request the honor of your presence at the nuptial mass uniting them in the sacrament of holy matrimonyPosted by Equine Osmosis[/QUOTE]

Beautiful!  My only feedback is that technically, the nuptial Mass is not what unites you... the sacrament is.  Theological/Ontological accuracy makes for awkward wording, sometimes :)  Neither of which I can even pretend to be an expert in... so I consulted all my friends who took sacramental theology courses!  We copied a friend's wedding invitation wording and did this:

Bride's Parents and
    Groom's Parents
    request the honor of your presence at the
    Nuptial Mass in which

newlyseliski & newlyfiance

will be united in the
    Sacrament of Holy Matrimony

Saturday the twenty eighth of May
    two thousand and eleven
    at three o'clock in the afternoon

Church name
    Church Address
    Church City, State

I have pictures in my bio of our invitations!  We used "Timeless" (smallcaps format) for the regular text and "Fontleroy" for the more script-like parts (both italicized and plain)... both are from Dafont.com!
  • edited December 2011
    Newlyseliski-  That's the format I took my wording from but the problem is that since we're paying for the wedding we don't have the break of our names being between the nuptial mass and sacrament wording.  

Any ideas on how to make that sound better (and be correct)?  Maybe this one...?

"at the nuptial mass as they unite in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony..." 

Should it be "at THE nuptial mass"  or "at A nuptial mass" or "at THEIR nuptial mass?"

Keep the ideas coming!  I'm going to check out all those fonts.  Thank for the responses!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THE nuptial Mass

Maybe, "the nuptial Mass at which they will be united in the Sacrament..."

Fonts--I used Maiandra for the text (not all caps) and Edwardian script for our names.

And as a side note--I'm getting married 4 hours before you!! (I think... 1:30pm Eastern)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    I think that one way of doing it to emphasize that you are hosting the wedding rather than your parents is as follows (which I borrowed from clearheavens' bio)

Together with their families
    [bride]
    &
    [groom]
    request the honour of your presence
    at their marriage in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
    and the celebration of the Nuptial Mass
    [date & time]
    [church]
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

as newly said, the Mass does not unite you so its not technically correct.  the mass is said for and in your honor so that you as a couple receive extra blessings for your marriage.

you can amend as follows, which is the wording we used (but we did not use an intro):

Their lives have been blessed

by their love for each other

and by their faith in the Lord

Equine Osmosis

and

FI Osmosis

request the honor of your presence

at their marriage in the sacrament of holy matrimony
    and the celebration of the nuptial mass

on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of June

two thousand eleven

at half past two o’clock

Saint Bernard’s Catholic Church

Our town, California

• clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nuptial-mass-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d86faa54-62cc-4fbc-b8e2-35751a145118Post:0fba7f5d-6099-4acb-9c70-52be5d385b86">Re: Nuptial mass invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that one way of doing it to emphasize that you are hosting the wedding rather than your parents is as follows (<strong>which I borrowed from clearheavens' bio</strong>) Together with their families [bride] & [groom] request the honour of your presence at their marriage in the  Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and the celebration of the  Nuptial Mass [date & time] [church]
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

<div>:D I feel happy my bio was helpful.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards