Gay Weddings

Hi! Hi! Hello - Intro!

Hello everyone,

I am so elated that this forum is here, I found it at the perfect time.

I am planning an engagement in a few months.
I have ideas, after discussing here and there with my better half.
We want to have a ceremony and reception in a museum.

Guests - Family and Friends.

I did not have any idea of the idea of just going to MA with her and getting the liscense, then coming back to where I live and having a ceremony - you guys are certified geniuses! ow! Laughing

As far as a ring, I found bluenile.com because it is custom.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I just want people to share as much as they can.

Thanks in advance EVERYONE!

Re: Hi! Hi! Hello - Intro!

• edited December 2011

Hi Jenell!

Congrats on planning your engagement! That was an exciting time for me. I loved shopping for my fiance's ring. I let her pick out the setting from Jared's. I got the diamond from a local jeweler in Durham. I did alot of my research regarding pricing on Pricescope.

You may want to check out WhiteFlash.com for rings as well.

Good luck!

Dana

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Dana!!

Thank you so much, you are awesome.
    I am so glad you replied actually because you are where I am.

So that makes me hopeful about the RDU area.
    Any other vendors you can think of would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!

-Jenell
  • edited December 2011
    I got the diamond from Atelier N on 9th street. The owner is nice but a tad arrogant about his workmanship. My fiancee got my stone (an aquamarine) from Hamilton Hill in Brightleaf square. They are VERY easy to work with.

We booked our wedding/reception at Caffe Luna in Raleigh. We visited about 10 different vendors around Durham. It came down to pricing for us. All the vendors were gracious. We had no problems as a gay couple. The catering manager at Caffe Luna, Ryan, seems easy to work with and gave us a lot of vendor recommendations.

We are narrowing down our cake selections. I didn't inform anyone over email that we were a gay couple. I don't feel the need to do so. The bakers were a little surprised at first but recovered just fine.

From our experience, I think you can plan your event with little worries.

Which museum are you looking into? I hear that the Life & Science Museum in Durham has been a successful spot for weddings.

Dana
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    welcome! have you set a date yet?

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Spring of 2011. Most likely April/May area.
    You guys don't think I am early do you?

@Dana - We chose the NC Museum of Art. The event coordinator just called me and said he would love to have us! I am so excited, I have to send him some details to get an actualy quote, but I will keep you ladies posted. Cafe Luna is the poo - their food is so goooooood :D
    Thanks again for everything you shared, I am going to follow in your footsteps as far as setting up tastings and such, I would like to know what choices you end up making as far as that is concerned. I am truly excited for you :D

yayyy for me venue! lol
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    not early at all! We set our date 18 months ahead :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Alison, you just made my day! lol
  • edited December 2011
    I do not think you are to early belive you will need the time to make dissions I had a year to plan my wedding  it is getting closer it is in july 24 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats Mark!
    A year seems like a great amount of time.
    All of you guys are awesome, thanks for all the insight, suggestions, help/advice, presently and in the future.
  • wacweb98wacweb98 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not only are you going to need the year to plan, a lot of sites and vendors book up really far in advance.  One of the receptions sites we wanted to look at in Minneapolis didn't have a summer Saturday open until 2012!  You might want to touch base with highly popular vendors as much as 9-12 months out.  Even if you don't sign a contract, a lot of vendors will tentatively pencil you in and then let you know if someone else is interested in your date prior to bumping you.  

Welcome to the Board!

Bill

*less than 6 months left... is it time to panic?
  • niklynn622niklynn622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome! We did the same thing, most of our big things (cake, reception/ceremony sites, etc) were already in the works by the end of summer...We're getting married June 12, 2010. My dress was even ordered then! We needed to have the plan early because things add up quick and need paid for in advance...so it's never too early to start planning! It's good to know that we're less than 5 months away but the major details are already taken care of!

Nicole
  • edited December 2011
    Help -

Okay so the event planner for the actual museum wants to know what I am thinking of doing. At this point I have no earthly idea. He asked about food, a DJ, etc etc because supposedly there are a one stop shop.

The only thing we are certain about is we want to have it THERE!
    We want to have both the ceremony and reception there.

I am not sure how I would word what I want to do maybe some of you can help.
    He asked about heavy hor'd ovures. I just want people to come in, be seated, eat. drink. and be merry, then Teneal and I want to have our first dance, then we want to start the trumpfoolery lol that will be our party, I mean, our reception.

I want to communicate that to him, but I am not sure how to communicate that to him. Suggestions anyone?
  • edited December 2011

I would ask him-- Can you give me examples of menus you have done in the past? What types of heavy hor d'oeuvres can you do?

Most places I visited gave me samples of their past menus. They also showed me food options for a seated dinner, buffet, or heavy hor d'oeuvres. It gave me a better idea of what I thought would work within my time frame.

I used the knot questions to help me figure out what questions to ask.

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-reception-planning/articles/17-questions-to-ask-your-wedding-caterer.aspx

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards