Flowers

How Many (Tulip) Stems In A Bouquet?

I'm trying to budget flowers (and scrape every penny off of the floor).

I was going to order tulips online, and do my own simple bouquets.

But how many stems are in a bridesmaid bouquet and how many in a bride? I can't visualize the fullness.

10? 12? 24?

I also have about 30 tables to put something on. If putting a vase of tulips on each one is out due to cost, I dunno if we'll have anything on there. It's not really necessary I guess.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How Many (Tulip) Stems In A Bouquet?

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

First, the one thing that determines the cost of the flowers is the season and the flowers you want to use. If you want tulips, they bloom naturally around the world in the spring, so prices then are cheapest. I peeked at your bio and it says 6/1/13. Not sure if this is a general date, or the actual date you are getting married. It's not peak season for tulips then, but you can still get them from florists, just not as inexpensively. If you are checking prices online now, they are also not in season, so that may be a good indicator.

Tulips have many sizes from small to large and flowery (open). They also can wilt, which makes a charming look in a vase, but may not lend itself to a bouquet unless you wire the stems. My guess is 12 tulips would make a bouquet about 6 inches across. Probably big enough for a bridesmaid.

If budget is your issue, I'd recommend thinking about calla lillies, which while they probably cost more, a BM can carry just one, maybe with a ribbon tied on it, and you could do the same, or maybe carry 3 tied together.

If you really want fresh flowers, you get the most bang for your buck with roses, especially around June 1st. Do you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership? Our Costco has an actual florist who makes the bouquets for the kiosk in the store, and can order bulk flowers similar to what they have online, but you actually SEE the flowers when you pick them up and can make a decision about what you want out of that. I ordered dozens of white asiatic lillies and white roses and baby's breath, more than enough for signficant centerpieces on each table. The entire order was $177.  I ordered their 20 piece wedding package as well ($399, maybe outside your budget). You can do what you need with just the bulk flowers, however. 

Sorry, I gave you more info than you wanted, but hopefully some of this helps.  

• staceycainestaceycaine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_many-tulip-stems-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:bf949ec3-ed5b-407f-8198-b111a65c9122Post:6963649d-e134-4300-9fee-b1330cde4d92">Re: How Many (Tulip) Stems In A Bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>First, the one thing that determines the cost of the flowers is the season and the flowers you want to use.</strong> If you want tulips, they bloom naturally around the world in the spring, so prices then are cheapest. I peeked at your bio and it says 6/1/13. Not sure if this is a general date, or the actual date you are getting married. It's not peak season for tulips then, but you can still get them from florists, just not as inexpensively. If you are checking prices online now, they are also not in season, so that may be a good indicator. Tulips have many sizes from small to large and flowery (open). They also can wilt, which makes a charming look in a vase, but may not lend itself to a bouquet unless you wire the stems. My guess is 12 tulips would make a bouquet about 6 inches across. Probably big enough for a bridesmaid. <strong>If budget is your issue, I'd recommend thinking about calla lillies</strong>, which while they probably cost more, a BM can carry just one, maybe with a ribbon tied on it, and you could do the same, or maybe carry 3 tied together. If you really want fresh flowers, you get the most bang for your buck with roses, especially around June 1st. <strong>Do you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership?</strong> Our Costco has an actual florist who makes the bouquets for the kiosk in the store, and can order bulk flowers similar to what they have online, but you actually SEE the flowers when you pick them up and can make a decision about what you want out of that. I ordered dozens of white asiatic lillies and white roses and baby's breath, more than enough for signficant centerpieces on each table. The entire order was $177.  I ordered their 20 piece wedding package as well ($399, maybe outside your budget). You can do what you need with just the bulk flowers, however.  Sorry, I gave you more info than you wanted, but hopefully some of this helps.  <div>Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>I'll be ordering them online, so season doesn't seem to matter, or so the websites say.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, tulips are it. I can't really compromise on that. It's a sentimental thing for me and a nod to my dead grandfather.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do think my FI's mom has a Sam's membership, so that might be worth looking into. I just figured online would be much cheaper, since it's less than $500 for 400 stems.</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    id say a solid 30 for the bride or more.. and 20 or so for the bridesmaids... 10 should be fine in vases if they srent toolarge. 

You do need to know that tulips continue th stretch out and curve.. be sure to use cool water and not too much of it because they wil drink too much and over hydrate... 

but you can totally do it yourself and tlips are easy beans..
  • edited December 2011
    I too am thinking of doing tulips!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards