Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Did you know the proposal was coming?

13»

Re: Did you know the proposal was coming?

• Options
    I had no clue. He kept saying things like he was never getting married again and when I brought it up he said to not count on getting a ring from him. Then all of a sudden we were at a friends house and he along with his 2 girls came up to me and his youngest (4yrs old) came up to me and said "will you marry my Daddy?". I started crying, it was the sweetest thing. Several of our friends and my Mother had known before hand that he was going to do it and they all kept it a secret.
  • Options
    I knew he was going to do it before the end of the year and thought it would be closer to Christmas. He was making a big deal about going on the Christmas Lights hayride that is ridiculously expensive. I was expecting it to be on the hay ride. He completely suprised me by doing it on November 2nd. That morning he sent me a bouquet of my favorite flowers at work and that night we were going on our monthly dinner to our favorite place. He "officially" asked me to be his girlfriend on March 1st of 2009 and ever since then we had a monthaversary. Every month around the first (we both work full time and also are full time students so it differs on the day) of every month we go to our favorite place. This is where he did it on November 2nd. I thought it was our normal regular dinner that we always planned and the flowers were just a nice surprise (he knows I like surprises). After dinner he had the waitress bring out a cake he got specially made at a super expensive bakery, it had purple flowers on it, and a purple ribbon that had "will you marry me" written on top, purple is my favorite color. When she sat it down, he got down on one knee and said that I was the love of his life and he couldn't live without me, then asked will you marry me. I started crying and the whole place was clapping. It was so emotional and amazing! He was so much more creative with doing it at our favorite place and around the time when we started going out. I love him to death and wouldn't have had it any other way! OH and the ring was fabulous!
  • Options
    I knew it was coming cause he told me he was going to ask my dad for permision, i just didnt know when he was going to ask my dad, Once he had asked my dad we knew i was coming soon, r annivercary came and went and he hadnt perposed i didnt think it was a big deal, then the weekend before my day he came down to see me cause we were not sure that we would get to see each other on my bday. i got off work and not a soul was around and he looks at me and asks if he can give me my bday prestent early and i was like of corse, and that when he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. we all new if was comin we just didnt know when.

6 months till i say i do
  • Options
    I had no idea.  It was such a shock to me I got sick the following day from nerves.  But I wouldn't have it any other way.  He asked my parents before the time and got the most perfect ring!
  • Options

I had no clue even up to the moment when we got to the place where he did it!  We had talked about it but I just didn't think he would do it so soon since we've only been dating for 4 months!  He even remember my size and style of ring I like!  I was totally caught off guard but I've been the happiest girl ever since and I'm looking forward to many more months (years) with him!

• Options
    I had no clue that he was going to purpose. It was a total surprise. Last December we took a vacation to New York right before Christmas. We had never been to New York before, so we were both really excited. The first night we were there he proposed to me at The Top of the Rock. :) Only a few friends and family knew he was going to propose. He had asked my dad for permission during Thanksgiving. He had started planning this proposal and finding the ring about 6 months before he actually proposed. I never figured he would propose while we were in New York because he is the type of person that never does what is expected. He is stubborn that way. :) That was definitely and awesome trip that we will always remember. We plan on going back to New York in the spring one year. We love it there! :)
  • Options
    My FI was very good about keeping his little secret. I actually had NO idea, as we have been on a tight budget due to a job change for him and health issues for me (had a breast scare and surgery). Apparently, my mom and 2 of my BFF's knew he already had the ring, but they were all tight about the secret.

It was my birthday, 11/12. I have a jewelry business and had a trade show in my hometown the next day, so we made plans to go the day before my show, since my favorite-above-all-favorites Italian restaurant is very close to my hometown. We had a fabulous pasta dinner, then he gave me my gift bag of goodies, including an Aggie nighshirt (we are die-hard maroon-bloods), a NASCAR cap, some candy, and some other fun items. In the bottom of the bag, under a last piece of tissue, was a shiny little cellophane bag. Inside was a Home Depot Gift card holder made similar to their "Homer Buckets". Inside the holder was a G/C to HD (we should just live in that place for as much as we are there) and a little miniature working crescent-wrench keychain...with a ribbon on it. Any guess as to the other end of the ribbon? The by-pass style marquise I had had my eye on for WAYYYYY before I was even allowed by law to get married.

As I said, I had NO IDEA, but I think he was sure I would say yes, and he was right!!!!
  • Options
    I had no clue!! I that's why I loved it (some guys make it waaay to obvious :)
    We were already living together and he got the ring like 2 months before he proposed, I though it was kind of odd cause he was taking me out to dinner like every friday, (he was actually trying to propose every time he took me out but "the timing" was never right he said) , all my friends knew he was proposing, they even saw the ring before I did. He eventualy proposed at our house, very sweet & romantic :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I didn't know at all. He did an amazing job. We met at an event that's called "Playdate". Its where people get together once a month for adult game night. They play all sorts of games from Hungry Hungry Hippo to Jenga to Twister. You can drink, have fun, meet new friends, etc. I knew we were going to be married but I had no idea the proposal was coming.

He set it up where we were going to play a "game" where I was blindfolded and he would call me on my cellphone and guide me to him using only words. After I was blindfolded, he told all 500+ people in attendance to "shhhh" and pulled the ring out his bag and got down on one knee in front of me and then the host of the game said "Are you cheating?" I said I was not then he said "Yes you are I think you are cheating you can see..we need to re-do your blindfold" and when he took the blindfold off there HE WAS!!!!

I didn't hear anything at all that he said, I almost fainted it was the most perfect moment. We have it on video and all I remember is someone putting a microphone in my face and me whimpering out "yes" it took all I had in me to even get the words out. The ring he selected was his moms ring, who is deceased and its not the most outlandish or expensive but it means more to me than anything in the world right now.
    My niece, Kennedy Alivia, Cancer SURVIVER!!!! God works miracles - Daily! image
  • Options
    I had an idea that it would be coming at some point, but I was way farther off than I thought.  I figured he would wait until summer or fall or something.  Well, he proposed in feb.  I also thought he was going to give me his grandmother's ring.  WRONG!  he got me a tiffany ring he had been saving up for since god only knows when!  I admit i was getting a little impatient, as i knew he had his grandmothers ring for over a year.  I had decided to get him an engagement ring and ask him if he hadn't popped the question by the end of the year.  I told a coworker/close friend of mine what I was hatching and she nonchalantly said it was a good idea.  Apparently he had asked the same girl for her opinion on which ring to get, so she knew about a month or two in advance for BOTH of us, and managed not to spill the beans on either side!  As for the night of, he had been out with the boys all night and I was in my sweats (actually HIS sweats now that I think about it) and had been cooking at his place all day to relieve stress... He popped the question in his living room. I expected something a little more contrived, so when it was so normal an atmosphere, i was totally taken by surprise.  He was acting weird when he got home and I had my suspicions, but i thought I was way off base... I wasnt! :-)
  • Options
    I did. We were out of town at his parents the weekend he did it and a couple weeks later I got a Jared bill addressed to him from the town his parents live in. Apparently he told the person he bought the ring from to send the bill to his mom, but it still came to our house!
  • Options
    I totally didn't know that it was coming. We had looked at some rings just for fun but i didn't really think that we would be jumping into an engagement until the next year or so. Either way I was really happy and don't regret it one bit :)
  • Options
    I had no idea it was coming! In hindsight it really was quite obvious.  He had asked if we could have breakfast together- that should have been enough to tip me off because he is NOT a morning person haha.  He told me to wake up 4 hours before we had any responsibility so that we could just have a "nice morning together".  SO not like him, but I thought it was so sweet that I looked past it.  He was all perky when he came to pick me up that morning but was being very vague about breakfast plans (I had figured I was going to make us pancakes at my place, but he showed up dressed very nicely!).  He told me I was not allowed to ask any questions about where we were going.  He took me to our campus's botanical garden, which was the place where he had decided to tell me how he felt (we had been friends for years).  As we walked along a path I could see something set up ahead... it was a picnic breakfast!  He had his guitar there and played me the song he had written for me for Christmas while I ate- so romantic :) After the song we were talking, and he inturrupted to tell me I had something on the side of my leg/ butt.  I couldn't see it but he insisted that something was there.  He told me to stand up and look, and when I turned back towards him after checking again to tell him that I STILL could not see anything there, he was on his knee!  We are both college students so I thought there was no way he would be able to afford a ring- turns out he had started saving after just a few months of dating!  It was such a surprise.  He worked so hard to make it special and I know we will look back on that day fondly for the rest of our lives!  I am one truly lucky girl :)
  • Options
    My mom was critically ill  most of last year. Heart failure. Not fun. So we knew we were going to get married. The decision was that if mom took one more turn for the worse, he was flying up, and we were getting married in the hospital chapel, the end. Ultimately, mom got better. My favourite ring setting went on a significant sale, and I fired him a message along the lines of, dude, if you're gonna do this, now's the time. So he did. I didn't know when, exactly, he was going to propose. He'd initially planned to do it in a letter, but on my birthday he decided he couldn't wait any longer. Friends knew it was coming and I knew they knew it was going to happen.
  • Options
    My fiance and I have been together for five years, this year. Two years ago my fiance joined the Marines and had spoken about wanting to marry me after boot camp. Boot camp came around and time was going by so I didn't take it seriously. Not yet anyway.

It wasn't until last December when my fiance [boyfriend at the time] came home for his Christmas leave that I was surprised! My boyfriend was home for a few days and wound up going out with his mom and sister for Christmas gifts, didn't think anything of it. After he was done shopping he said he was going out with our friend of ours, which I wasn't the happiest girl to hear being I hadn't seen him since August.

The next morning my boyfriend asked me to come over and help him finish his families tree. I wound up going over in a very nice outfit knowing we were going to a have an us night. [Go to dinner, seeing movie and then staying at a hotel.] While I was helping my boyfriend put ornaments on the tree I was innocently bringing up getting married and having our own tree one day. I would even joke about going into the ornament box and finding a ring in a box or an ornament that asked, "Will you marry me?" My boyfriend would laugh it off and pretty much ignore my comments. During the decorations my boyfriends mother called asking if he did something [I could hear her from where I was], again nothing was clicking in my head.

While I was helping my boyfriend put ornaments on the tree, he had gone down the hall for some reason. When my boyfriend came back to the living room, my back was turned to him as I was getting an ornament out of the box. He said, "Here put this one up!" In a little red Christmas bag was white tissue paper wrapped around an ornament with two penguins skating on ice with white hearts, the inscription read, "Will you marry me?" I looked up at my boyfriend as he was on his right knee and I fell backwards onto the box of ornaments! I couldn't believe it! Everything I was saying that day, was happening that very moment!

For a good minute or two, I was hugging and kissing my fiance saying "YES!" over and over. Finally, my fiance said "Well, would you like to try it on?" Lol, I couldn't even think once I saw the ornament. It will be a year December 23rd that my fiance and I will be engaged but still are not set on a date because of the hectic year we have had with his father passing away without any signs and myself going into the hospital for six days after my fiancés father passed away.

This January my fiance will be deploying to Japan and I'm still contemplating a courthouse marriage until we can accompany our dreams. Last year's Christmas was most certainly a surprise and a beautiful push for this hectic year.
  • Options
    I totally knew but I'm good with that. He wanted to be traditional and ask my parents in person so when we planned a trip down to see them in the summer I knew he was going to ask them (it was just too long of a drive for him to give up the opportunity and wait for the next time we'd see them). He asked them on Saturday and then Sunday after church he proposed in the most beautiful prayer center I have ever seen. It was beautiful and I still had all the same heart racing excitement as everyone else has during the proposal. I would not have asked to have it any other way, and I was so glad to be able to share the next few days as a engaged couple with my parents :)
  • Options
    I somewhat knew it was coming.  We had designed the ring and I knew he had put down the deposit for them to make it, but I didn't know if he might pay it off over a few months and didn't know how long he might sit on it once he finished paying and picked it up.  I thought he might give it to me on our anniversary in Hawaii but he didn't...I assumed at the time that he hadn't picked up the ring yet but he actually had.  He just waited a few more weeks so he could talk to my parents in person and then propose to me in the location back at home where he had always intended even before I came into the picture.  I had always figured it would be by the lake or the river if he did it here.  One day we went out to lunch and afterwards he wanted to walk by the river and I wondered if he was going to propose but talked myself out of it.  We walked along the river and he started hugging on me really tight and said he had something and fumbled the ring out of his pocket and got down on one knee and got all emotional and asked me to marry him.  Earlier in the day I had asked him why he was wearing jeans instead of shorts since it was so hot outside and he said he wanted to wear jeans, I didn't know it was because he was going to kneel LOL!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    I had no idea, but everyone we knew including our families had known for 5 months. I've been wearing a ring on my finger that his sister gave me 2 years ago. He always took it from me and would give it back off and on for about 5 months. I never knew why, but I gave up on questioning him. One night I was cooking dinner for us and he took my ring from me and said that I shouldn't wear it while handling chicken. So he began cleaning it for me and said "Wow look how dirty this ring has gotten. Do you ever clean this?" I said yes of course I do and and went back to preparing dinner. He came up from behind me and put the ring back on my finger and said "There I gave you back your ring. Doesn't it look much cleaner now?" I looked down said yes and looked back at the food I was preparing then I did a double take because I was shocked to see a diamond ring on my finger. I turned around and looked at him in amazement. Of course him being as cute and sly as he always is said "What? I cleaned it for you. Doesn't it look better now?" I obviously said yes and went back to cooking dinner with a huge smile on my face.
  • Options
    Well his mom kind of ruined it for me.  She called me one day and said its gonna happen soon.  It was sometime in June then and I figured it would happen around July 4th because he like to do important things on holidays.  I had tried on a ring of his moms that was supposed to be the one that he was going to use according to her and when I got to their house that day the first thing i did was look where she always kept it to see if it was there.  I had already built myself up to the fact that I thought it was going to happen but when i saw the ring was still there I figured oh well.  But a little while later we took a walk outside and he proposed under the pear tree in the front yard with a totally difrent ring...turns out all his friend knew what was going on and i was the one who didn't know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards