Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Churches Old City/Society hill area?

I just cant decide between church in NE or in Center City. Originally, I thought the closer to the venue, the more convenient for guests. But we have this huge gap of time now I'm trying to fill. Trying to find a center city church w/easy access to I-95.

Any churches worth checking out in Old City/Society Hill? I know about Old St. Mary's, St Josephs... What about St Augustines? I heard somewhere they only marry parishoners of their church. Any others I'm forgetting?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Churches Old City/Society hill area?

• lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked into St Augustines, and they will marry non-parishioners, but they give preference to their parishioners.  A little more toward center city, there's also St. John the Evangelist on 13th by Market.

I'm getting married at Old St Mary's because it's the move convenient for my venue (a shuttle can just make an easy loop from the reception site), but I thought St. Sugustines was stunning.  OSM only does weddings at 2:30 and I believe St. Augustines may have been 3 or 3:30.  When we looked a few months ago, Old St Joes was booked up for at least the next year.  FWIW, OSM was also the cheapest of the ones we considered (OSM, St. Auggies, and St. John the Evangelist).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know you didn't ask this, but going into CC is a hassle. Having your ceremony there just to keep the people busy doesn't really make sense. As a guest I would be annoyed if I had to fight traffic on a Saturday afternoon and try to find parking for the ceremony just to kill time / b/c the bride and groom felt the need to plan busy time. I would rather go somewhere by the venue and find a way to kill time on my own. People do it all the time.

Now if your guests are staying in CC and could walk to the church and walk back to the hotel to relax before going to the reception that is different. Although, you would still be making it very difficult on your local guests.

Just my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks jely, I'm kind of on the same side as you - just weighing my options. My FI's side will be fine because they are catholic and from philly - so they're used to the wait. My entire side, however, isn't. So I thought it might be nice for them but you're right - parking and traffic is a pain.

The church near our venue will only marry us at 1:30 (I'm not Catholic so we aren't doing communion. It will be over by 2:15.) Our cocktail hour starts at 5:30 and the EARLIEST we can move it to is 5:00. It's just a long break... Maybe I will have something at the hotel lounge for people to pass the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think something at the hotel would be great! But as long as it is still convenient for them to go back to the hotel even just to watch tv or something. Chances are though, people might congregate at the hotel bar and socialize. And I am guessing you will not need your parents with you during that entire gap for pics so they can certainly use the time to catch up with family and friends.

Something my dad thought of doing was renting a suite and inviting people back to the suite for something to drink (alcholic or not). Sort of like an open house. Give people who don't have somewhere to go inbetween a place to hang out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • edited December 2011
    Jely - that's a great idea. I'll look into doing that, could be a really good solution to killing some time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lilypad71Lilypad71 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved St. Augustines so much, however, our wedding is a Friday evening and they don't do Friday evenings. Also, they were incredibly rude on the phone and I would not want to deal wih that for a year.

We're going with Old St. Josephs (we are not parishoners) and they are as nice as can be!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards