Snarky Brides
Options

who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?

Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?

• Options
    I didn't try on my ring. I went to the jewelry store to figure out my ring size then ordered it in my size, knowing it wuld have to be resized just a bit. Why on earth would any store ship it in just so you could try it on? That's absurd.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:b8d0ea9a-1b9e-4957-8de1-f232fff15293">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!? :   wow getting called a moron by someone from jersey.  that hurts. 
    Posted by flyjawn[/QUOTE]

I bet you could be the poster-child for the saying "Money can't buy class".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:b8d0ea9a-1b9e-4957-8de1-f232fff15293">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!? :   wow getting called a moron by someone from jersey.  that hurts. 

Wow, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you sound like a spoiled brat.  I don't know what you are thinking, but there is nothing wrong with Jersey.  Also, I now doubt that your FI has that much money to spend on a ring since most people with that kind of money don't go around acting like you.  Maybe instead of freaking out about rings, you should try developing some class. 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:75efb21f-900d-4f47-bc02-432ceb2ecd2d">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!? : I bet you could be the poster-child for the saying<strong> "Money can't buy class"</strong>.
    Posted by Ana_2985[/QUOTE]

this made me LOL because now i cant get the song <em>money cant buy you class </em>from the real housewives of New York hahaha...i hate that song and now its stuck in my head
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:f275339c-00ef-497d-a4c1-d54d6536c54d">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!? : this made me LOL because now i cant get the song money cant buy you class from the real housewives of New York hahaha...i hate that song and now its stuck in my head
    Posted by jelique7[/QUOTE]

Haha I'm sorry!  I've had it in my head all week too.  That and Tardy for the Party.  Awesome songs.
  • Options
    lmfao...oh geez..tardy for the party...lets not get started or i might bust out the disco ball
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Beyond her reaction to being called a moron, I think the OP has handled this relatively well.
  • Options
    I am late to this, but I agree with all the PP's, you need to do a little more diamond research before you approach another jeweler with your ideas. How are you not hearing that there is no "ball park" when it comes to diamond size and quality? You have to go in person and talk to a sales person, they have to see in your eyes you are serious customer, and no matter what ring you choose, you could choose a 15,000 diamond or a 1,000 diamond, and yes, even Cartier has these choices.

I'm still confused why your whining when the ring in question is VERY expensive, and if you can afford it, you could find a ring just like it anywhere. Seriously, it's not that special. You could find a band similar and then request an oval diamond.

And no, high price rings do not automatically come with a replica, I'm positive your friend had to ask (and pay) for them, perhaps his jeweler knows him so well they just know he wants one, that's why you are confused here. Or maybe it's just your FI's watch that's confusing you.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Does your fiance know this is what you want?  You could put a serious down payment on a house, have an amazing college fund for future children.  You have to be talking 30-50,000 dollars there.  That's just crazy.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:ebfe8fd6-3384-4174-ad49-46cc93634b00">who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i finally found an e-ring online that i love love love. <strong>it's WAY over the top and way out of budget</strong> but i figured that it could be replicated by a jeweller instead of purchasing it from the designer where i found it. [/QUOTE]

Did no one else notice this? She's acting entitled over something she obviously has NO intentions of buying. I'm quite certain she doesn't have access to half the finances she's made it sound like in all her subsequent posts.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I completely agree with MuffinsMom. And I didn't want to jump on the band wagon, but I can't imagine spending that much money on a ring! It's absurd. That money could re-establish my father's retirement, pay off our house, and ensure that our children would never have to worry about money or their education.

I would never EVER contemplate spending that much on a ring, even if I had it to spend.

Funny related story, FI is a real deal finder. He'll squable, barter, and trade until he gets something for what he calls a "cheap and reasonable price."  A few months ago,. I took my ring in to be appraised for insurance reasons, and it was appraised for around 6 or 7 K. I flipped! I called him up, so angry, thinking that he had spent the downpayment of our future house on a ring.  OH, I was a bit pissy :)

Eventually, after I had calmed down, he informed me that the jeweler had mis-labeled the ring and the diamond (told him the wrong price, basically). Once the error was discovered, the company gave him the ring for 3 K (the price they had agreed upon). 

Point being - I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a ring. And there really is no reason to. A 1K diamond says "I love you and cherish you," just as much as a 5K diamond. I can't imagine spending 10 K on a ring! even a replica or one with a smaller diamond would still be more than many people's salaries - it's like a year of college tuition. And which is more important?

That's what I thought.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    See, I have to disagree. I feel like your blanket condemnation of people who buy expensive rings sounds like it's coming from your perspective alone. Sure, it would be irresponsible for her to buy a crazy expensive ring if she had other financial needs that needed to be met (retirement, college funds, etc.) but who is to say that is even an issue for her?

It's all relative. If they have tons of money and retirement, college savings, house down payments, are not an issue, then why can't they spend their money on expensive luxuries? If the OP's FI is rolling in money, then who are we to tell him how to spend it?

Disclaimer: I don't know that I fully believe that the OP is in the situation where money is not an issue, I'm just commenting on the overall judgement that buying expensive rings is silly.
  • Options

I can't stand when other posters come in and say things like "That's a down payment on a house" "What a waste of money", or "I would spend the money this way",. Well, some people have a lot more money than others and can afford to buy 55,000 dollar rings.  I can guarantee these same people don't need down payments for houses or need to stash that money away in the bank because they already have a house and planty of cash in the bank plus some nice investments. That 55,000 is most likely petty cash.

I can promise if most people here had that much money to waste/spend, they would. It might not be a ring but it would be something.

That being said, I think Fly handled herself pretty well even if she is a little spoiled.

• Options

Jinx Cew!  "Punch in the arm"

• Options
    My thoughts exactly, Ang. I was beginning to think I was in the Twilight Zone. And I agree that OP handled herself well.
  • Options

I'm in the same boat as Kristi. We're super bargain hunters and that carried over to our rings as well. FI paid a fraction of what they've appraised for :P

Everyone has different budgets though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    wow look at all that i missed while i was out being a spoiled brat.  ;)

listen i am in no way, shape or form trying to justify the expense of that ring.  i never would - it's simply outrageous but i happen to be lucky enough to be able to be outrageous once in a while. 

i have no desire to get into a pissing match with anyone about how much class i do or don't have.  and i certainly don't want to be debating how much or how little money my SO has.  

but this one thing is irritating me.  YES, for the last time, when you are buying certain pieces of jewellry from high end designers, it will come with a replica.  when you're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, i guess it's akin to ebay's "free shipping" bonus.  Tongue out

• Options
    Why would you want a ring that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, especially if you are going to wear a replica instead? I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything by asking, I'm genuinely curious. I don't understand the need for a ring that costs that much.

Is it purely a status thing? Or would you be willing to settle for a ring that cost only a couple grand instead? To me, it's solely a "look at me and how much money I have" thing, but if there's more to it than that I'd love to know (I'm not savvy on diamong rings and pricing at all).
  • Options
    sesha -  i don't think i would wear the replica; it seems ass backwards to me to buy a ring and then keep it hidden away.

the short answer is that i have been married before and didn't even have an e-ring.  it made no difference to me whatsoever.  love is love and a ring isn't the measure of that.

but that said, i'm in the position to choose whatever i want and this ring really caught my eye.  i do want something remarkable but only because the option is available to me. 

i really didn't mean for this thread to become such a drama, i was just annoyed at the poor customer service approach of the clerk who answered the phone! 

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Oh WHO CARES about the replica. If someone gets one and chooses to wear it, its not like anyone else KNOWS.

The only thing about this entire thread is how much the OP seems to "flaunt" (or atleast draw attention to) how much money she/her FI has. Thats the only thing that stands out to me as worth comment at this point.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:e7fd45dc-34c8-47f7-8f2b-ad18001112e1">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow look at all that i missed while i was out being a spoiled brat.  ;) listen i am in no way, shape or form trying to justify the expense of that ring.  i never would - it's simply outrageous but i happen to be lucky enough to be able to be outrageous once in a while.  i have no desire to get into a pissing match with anyone about how much class i do or don't have.  <strong>and i certainly don't want to be debating how much or how little money my SO has.</strong>   but this one thing is irritating me.  YES, for the last time, when you are buying certain pieces of jewellry from high end designers, it will come with a replica.  when you're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, i guess it's akin to ebay's "free shipping" bonus. 

Then stop bringing it up every time you post.  That might help.

I agree with ricksang and cew.  If someone can afford it, they should get whatever they want.  I don't think anyone should apologize for how much or how little money they have.  However, I'm not a fan of talking about money out of context.  I just think it makes you look like a tool.

Also, you can't have it both ways.  Either you never had anything and you're uncomfortable with your BF's wealth or you desperately need designer shoes, Tiffany's jewelry, and $100,000 rings to fit into the "circles you work and socialize in".  Both are fine.  Just pick a side and stick to it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:b8d0ea9a-1b9e-4957-8de1-f232fff15293">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:

Oh my....just cause you've found someone with money to support you does not mean you have any idea of class or good taste .  You should get accquainted with the term "Nouveau riche" I'm sure plenty of people will apply it to you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:f275339c-00ef-497d-a4c1-d54d6536c54d">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!? : this made me LOL because now i cant get the song money cant buy you class from the real housewives of New York hahaha...i hate that song and now its stuck in my head
    Posted by jelique7[/QUOTE]

Same thing for me!
  • Options

I agree with Cew and Ricks.  I don't care how much someone spends on their ring....whether it be a ton of money or less than $50.  I hate when people start saying its a waste of money....or thats worth a car....or a down payment on a house.  Maybe to some people that's how the money should/could be spent but you aren't privy to her or her FI finances and it isn't your right to judge how they spend the money.

I do have an issue with her entitled attitude regarding the sales lady and not understanding how high end jewelers work.  One of my biggest pet peeves is when people beat up on vendors or retail salespeople for shitty reasons and think they are entitled to treat said people like crap.

• Options
    ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I am going to be Nouveau riche" one day!!! j/k
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:62a62d0b-159d-4195-99b6-d46a7a6932ab">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going to be Nouveau riche" one day!!! j/k
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

=) Oh Ricks you wouldn't ever be no matter how much money you have because you're such a sweetheart.....
  • Options
    You are right and TY! Can I just be rich?!!

Actually, I will just settle for out of school and getting a paycheck lol!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-order-ring-trying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e0153885-947a-494f-9505-c98aaec6843bPost:db71d065-94a1-4e85-a48c-f7ad3c1db937">Re: who would order a ring without trying it on?!!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are right and TY! Can I just be rich?!! Actually, I will just settle for out of school and getting a paycheck lol!
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

=) Rich is always nice.....

Ugh finishing school would be delightful!  How much longer do you have??
  • Options

2 semesters of school and 1200 hours of internship, hold me. :P

• Options
    Man, I want to be rich! I'd even be willing to compromise and just earn the median income for my area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards