Snarky Brides
Options

confessions?

Re: confessions?

• Options
    edited November 2010
    When I was a kid, my mom was a raging alcoholic. She wouldn't think twice about driving us around. Sometimes she would pass out and forget about picking me up from school, but that didn't happen too often.

I'll never forget one brownie trip we took to a pizza place. She was drunk. It was obvious to me, but I think she hid it well from other people. She drove me and the rest of the troop to the pizza place and I sat in the back seat the whole way there crying my eyes out because I was terrified that she'd get into an accident and hurt my friends. I never told anyone why I was crying because I was so ashamed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:d69b05f7-18f7-4a5e-991b-05e0a74ace16">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drunk drivers who kill someome should be prosecuted for murder.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup, and they can be.... unless they're best friends with the sheriff who 'forgets' to take a BAC test on scene.</div><div>
    </div><div>anyway though. Yes, I agree Nebb.  Drunk drivers should lose their license after one strike. (Obviously not at 0.08 BAC, but still.)  </div><div>
    </div><div>Our possible soon-to-be Governor has 2 DUI records, then voted to lower the penalties for drunk driving when he was in Senate. awesome morals.</div>
  • Options
    Oh cew, that sucks. My dad was a drunk, so I get it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Cew. :(   That is awful.
       You are an amazing mother. I love to see people who overcome their beginnings and make beautiful lives for themselves.

Alli- What a jerkface. Karma will kick his ass.

Nebb- Maybe you're having them now because you are dwelling on them?
  • Options
    I think drunk driving is just selfish. Im 27 and never once in my life had a need to drive anywhere after drinking. Ive walked or just gone without. How hard is that?
  • Options
    Agreed Nebb.  I never drank in HS and rarely drank in college, because I was driving people around.  Even now, I feel weird having a beer with dinner if we eat out, because I know I'm driving home. (Obviously I'm no where near drunk, but I still down my beer early to make sure I can drive an hour later.)

Some ass here was arrested for a suspended license while driving drunk... TWELFTH DUI. 12!!  Ridiculous, considering our really good public transportation system... and ya know, taxis.  
  • Options
    Confession:
       This thread has made me sad.
  • Options
    I think I've driven after drinking once, and that was 1 drink over a 4 hour dinner. I still felt guilty getting into the car even though I was not affected at all because I had always learned to never drive after drinking.

I'm trying to remember if my old employee ever went to jail for her 2 dui's. I do know that she had to list the dui's as a felony on her job application though. She's the first to say she made stupid decisions and as a result she lost her job, her family (they left, not through the accident itself) and lost her license for 5 years.
  • Options
    Me too. :(
  • Options

I've never driven drunk either. I'm a bad enough sober driver.

I also have a weird thing about being around drunk people. It's caused some issues with Matt and me because I just can't stand being around him when he's drunk. He doesn't do anything wrong, it just makes me feel anxious and angry. He likes to drink and I would never take that away from him but we just don't hang out when he's drinking. I wish it didn't have to be that way.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:4db3114e-a476-4b9c-890a-67cfb408cd51">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession:    This thread has made me sad.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

<div>me too.  I was going to change the topic and talk about the weird sex dream I had about ex... but it felt inappropriate.</div>
  • Options
    CEW- H and I have the same dynamic. His situation was very similar to yours.
     I can't speak for your H, but it doesn't bother me at all that he doesn't want to go "out" like that with me. I'm sure your H understands.
  • Options
    Our dvd player rarely works right, but when we shout threats at it that we are going to return it to the store it starts to work. We just started yelling at our dvd player how we are going to return it tomorrow and how sick of this shiit we are, so that our dvd will work. I think we sound crazy.
  • Options
    Ok someone make a happy thread! Otherwise I'm just going to post house pictures which really aren't all that exciting.
  • Options
    Steph- Tell me about the dreams!
  • Options
    Does anybody know a good time to visit Vegas?
  • Options
    Nebb, I regular tell the computers at work that if they do not cooperate with me they are going to meet Mr. Sledgehammer. It's amazing how many times that will actually work.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:57fb134d-dc57-4601-a369-ba085562c955">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]CEW- H and I have the same dynamic. His situation was very similar to yours.  I can't speak for your H, but it doesn't bother me at all that he doesn't want to go "out" like that with me. I'm sure your H understands.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jas. That makes me feel a little less crazy. :)
  • Options
    Confession: I don't think I'd be very sad if I found out my Dad died. It would actually be a bit of a relief. And that just makes me feel shiity.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:3773a9f6-7718-4a58-a450-9846817de6da">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nebb, I regular tell the computers at work that if they do not cooperate with me they are going to meet Mr. Sledgehammer. It's amazing how many times that will actually work.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]
    Its like they can hear you. My dvd player is being stubborn today apparently and isnt listening to our threats. Normally it works.
  • Options
    Katie- I started a sex thread? Does that count? Also, I want to see house pictures, please.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:330596a0-3542-406e-924e-74fbb401ef49">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession: I don't think I'd be very sad if I found out my Dad died. It would actually be a bit of a relief. And that just makes me feel shiity.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Any particular reason? If you don't want to share, that's okay.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_confessions-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f3f3bb25-b30f-452f-bb14-c35fafe749c8Post:330596a0-3542-406e-924e-74fbb401ef49">Re: confessions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession: I don't think I'd be very sad if I found out my Dad died. It would actually be a bit of a relief. And that just makes me feel shiity.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

Eye to eye. If your situation is like mine, I would not judge you at all.
  • Options
    Uh, well I always had a good relationship with him growing up and then a few years ago it started to deteriorate badly because I couldn't stand his heavy drinking and pill popping. Our relationship was very strained for a couple of years and he would get very pissed off that I was pulling back but never did anything to change it. His attitude is his way or no way.

Anyway, after not calling him for a couple of months, he called me up one day while I was at work and said some things to me that no parent should ever say to their child. It was very bad. This was over a year ago. I haven't spoken to him since. He's not invited to the wedding.

But not too long before we stopped talking, he told me he was diagnosed with emphysema. And none of his hard partying ways could be helpful. I just think of what it will be like to get that phone call someday. I just don't think I will be that sad. I feel like my dad, as I always knew him, was gone a long time ago.

Whew! Sorry for the wall-o-text.
  • Options
    Hug for LTZ too.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, LTZ. That truly sucks.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ah, I appreciate it Jas, Alli & Cew. It's ok. I just say it is what it is. It just makes me feel weird that I don't think hearing that news would be as devastating to me as it would be for a lot of people.

I feel like a cold-hearted scorpion woman.   ; )
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Oh, LTZ. I am sorry. My father has always been an ass, and for many years he was a drunk ass. He only stopped after all the drinking caught up to him and caused medical problems. First he became diabetic. Then, almost exactly three years ago, he had a sore on his foot that didn't heal. Five months of hospital stays and nursing homes later, they amputated his lower leg. He is having all these GI issues at the same time, but refused to get a colonoscopy. He finally has one and they find Stage 3 colon/rectal cancer (also prob related to the booze). He has had multiple surgeries, and currently has a colostomy that can never be reversed.

My mother has done nothing but provide 24 hour a day care for him for 3 years. She is exhausted, and he is not getting better, but not drastically worse either.The diabetes has made incision healing awful, and he currently has three open wounds that need constant attention, as well as bag changes.

I would feel sorry for him, but he treats my mom like crap, she is exhausted, and he brought this all on himself. Any mom pays the price. It is an awful thing to say, but I wish it would just end.
  • Options
    Oh Alli, I'm sorry to hear that. It's just shiity. I always say that if my parents taught me anything it's how to NOT be like them. I'm sure they'd be offended if they knew I thought that, but really they did me a favor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards