North Carolina-Outer Banks

Over Budget: What to cut?

Hey All,
As most of you have followed along with my saga of dealing with my venue, cake and other issues lately, I won't go into detail here again about all the drama. But now, since we have essentially double-paid for our cake, we are short on cash for other wedding items we wanted. So....unfortunately, it's time to cut out some things we can't afford anymore. Help me decide, what should get cut and what should stay?
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Over Budget: What to cut?

• edited December 2011
    My first thought is programs since several people forgot to even pick up our program fans, including my own mother. :)  While they loved the fans and most were taken after the ceremony, the water was the bigger item for cooling off.  But, programs aren't very expensive so I don't know how much that saves you.

What were you thinking for favors?  Maybe you can switch to something less expensive there.  Same with your extra decor.  Those little touches go so far, but maybe you could make some less expensive trades.

I wouldn't trade our guestbook for anything.  The things people wrote on the postcards STILL make me tear up.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ehhh I am voting programs.  We didn't have them, and whenever I go to weddings I look at them once and thrown them away so I think they are pretty pointless.  How many guests are you having again?  We had such a small wedding (45 people) that I felt like everyone kind of knew each other anyways so the listing of people in a program would have been useless.  It would have been just for the order of events essentially. 

After that I'd vote card box or extra decor. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Oh, and about the ceremony water.  We brought our own tubs and asked Trish if she could provide ice for those or if we'd need to bring bagged ice.  She said she always provides water because of how hot it is and not to worry about any of it and just drop off our tubs.  We did.  Her water was $8 a bottle, which we noticed when we paid the final bill.  We should have asked and gone with our own bottles (which we had cute labels for too!).  I don't know if she does that for fall weddings or not, but you should probably ask because that could hit your budget in an unexpected way.

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girlies, I'm having about 50 guests I think. (We have 33 yes RSVPs now but expect more).

Okay, so ditch the programs. Easy enough.

I was thinking of doing the NC lottery tickets for favors. They were gonna cost about $100 total including the envelopes and seals.

Teach- how much did you spend on the post cards in lieu of a guest book? I wonder if it would be cheaper...
  • edited December 2011
    I voted card box/guest book only because you were unsure if you wanted a guestbook and a card box you can make or design yourself fairly inexpensively. How many are invited to your wedding again? Perhaps cutting programs is a good idea since you will likely be with people anyway and you could give people maps and guides of the OBX in your favors?!
  • edited December 2011
    My vote would be to cut programs but how much would you save doing that?  You can always do the programs your self and would cost very little.  The next thing I might cut would be favors or extra decor.  I hardly ever remember favors at weddings and half the time I forget to take the favor.
  • eeforbeseeforbes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted favors.  I think programs can definitely be cut easily too, but if you need to cut more I would definitely ditch favors.  I think a lot of times in the scramble to leave people leave them behind.  Also, if a lot of your guests aren't from NC, then the tickets may be a pain to redeem quickly before they leave town.  I think they are nice, but definitely not even close to necessary.

So my vote is programs and favors!
  • llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote card box (use a small basket you already have and tie a ribbon on it if you need something for cards but don't want to spend money).  Then favors.  Then programs.  Guest book would be the last thing to go for me because I'm making a wedding album/guest book combo that will have all our pictures from the proposal, engagement pictures, engagement party, bach party, dress shopping, and eventually wedding mixed in with signatures from guests and pictures from our photobooth.  But if the guest book is less important to you cut it.  Or do something like the "wish tree" but using a bowl and small pieces of paper.
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote a little bit of everything, basically (lol, sorry).  Definitely programs; I barely read those at weddings and opted not to use them and help out the environment for our own wedding.  For the card box, what about making your own, like mparwulski or buying hers that she's selling?

For favors, (I was actually about to post a question about that and still will- might give you some ideas) but I think my Mom and I are making some family recipe italian cookies that people can bag themselves and take; we had to chose the recipes that required cheaper ingredients, and then are doing homemade jam in tiny jars for the local reception.  I feel it's better use and cheaper than other favors we looked at- would something this maybe be an option?

Also, I'd really be choosy with your decor; half of the things people may not notice.  Definitely look into ways to stretching it, or cutting things in half.  I was going to use ribbons or lights around the stairway railings inside the house, but realized no one would think twice if they were bare, and most people will be outside if it's nice anyway.  So maybe re-thinking layout/etc will help with that?

GOOD LUCK!  The budget sucks.... OH we also contacted our caterer and cut out appetizers; with the $500 we saved there, we're going to run to Harris Teeter and pick up fruit/cheese/cracker trays and re-arrange them more "pretty" ourselves.  After our engagement party, we realized how LITTLE people actually eat, and just like something to munch on while mingling waiting for you...

Hope that helps some!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Double charged on the cake?!?  That sucks.  I have half a mind to pay them a visit.

Anyways, I say get rid of the top 3.  Although, I'm doing programs because I'm doing them myself and are really very cheap.  I'll design yours for you if you want, and you can print them at home.  With small weddings like ours, there's a very different dynamic.  You don't really need all that crap.  Just enjoy the food and drink, and spend time with the people that came and you really care about.  The details really don't matter in the end.

Smile
  • edited December 2011

We bought our postcards at Sunsations last summer.  I think they were 4 (maybe 5) for $1.  Most guests did one per couple, but a few wrote separates.

Our program fans were $8 for 30 fans, and our taffy favor bags were $40.

So what are you getting at The Pearl instead of cake, since the cost is already factored into your contract and you're now getting your own cake?  Are they going to do a different dessert, more appetizers, take it off your drink bill, or what?

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_over-budget-cut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e44caf37-a63f-4522-9304-09d2b1b06c04Post:a96f8fc1-552a-484c-bbaf-340265254f24">Re: Over Budget: What to cut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We bought our postcards at Sunsations last summer.  I think they were 4 (maybe 5) for $1.  Most guests did one per couple, but a few wrote separates. Our program fans were $8 for 30 fans, and our taffy favor bags were $40. So what are you getting at The Pearl instead of cake, since the cost is already factored into your contract and you're now getting your own cake?  Are they going to do a different dessert, more appetizers, take it off your drink bill, or what?
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

This is with the presumption that she's actually had communication with them.
  • mandafite821mandafite821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    cut the programs.  I never save mine, I just throw them away after I am done, or leave them behind and forget about them.  I would cut the favors too.  Unless they are edible, (lol) I normally leave them behind as well.  
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheers, Mpar!!  That's what my dad has been preaching to us the entire time, and what I've finally come to realize.  The people coming aren't there for the decorations or favors; they're there to be a part of your very special day and support you in any way you need.  So definitely don't stress about the tangible things, espeically when they're pushing you over the  budget.  What you and your guests will remember and be left with is the extra money in your pocket, another ring on your finger and wonderful memories of a fun time!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_over-budget-cut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e44caf37-a63f-4522-9304-09d2b1b06c04Post:a96f8fc1-552a-484c-bbaf-340265254f24">Re: Over Budget: What to cut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We bought our postcards at Sunsations last summer.  I think they were 4 (maybe 5) for $1.  Most guests did one per couple, but a few wrote separates. Our program fans were $8 for 30 fans, and our taffy favor bags were $40.<strong> So what are you getting at The Pearl instead of cake, since the cost is already factored into your contract and you're now getting your own cake?  Are they going to do a different dessert, more appetizers, take it off your drink bill, or what?
    </strong>Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

As of now, we ordered the cake completely seperate from The Pearl. We re-drafted our contract with The Pearl to reflect that the cake will no longer be included in the cost. Since we have already paid them the deposit which was meant for Great Cakes, they will have to cough up the extra money, rather than try to come up with "extras" for us to pay for. Since they never signed the original contract, we will just have to wait and see what their next move is. But I'm playing hard ball now baby. They messed with the wrong bride.
  • edited December 2011

We might be operating on a different contract, but our cake price was included in the per person cost for food.  Just wanted to make sure yours wasn't the same and that you had also paid the cake deposit on top of that.  Hope that makes sense.  Good luck.  Your wedding really will work out, in spite of all these headaches getting there it.  I know it will!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree with cutting the programs, I never even look at them! I probably won't do any for our wedding if I do they will be diy!  Also for favors if you have any bakers in the family maybe they can do homemade cookies and wrap them in printed paper with a scalloped edge and tie with a ribbon, that's one of our options since my sister is doing all of our baking!  It's cheap and easy and if your family is gona be together I think we will have all the ladies have some wine and help bake two days prior to the wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_over-budget-cut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e44caf37-a63f-4522-9304-09d2b1b06c04Post:a09e4c32-5dd9-498c-a0fa-75dc2f65e7c5">Re: Over Budget: What to cut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Oh, and about the ceremony water</strong>.  We brought our own tubs and asked Trish if she could provide ice for those or if we'd need to bring bagged ice.  She said she always provides water because of how hot it is and not to worry about any of it and just drop off our tubs.  We did. <strong> Her water was $8 a bottle</strong>, which we noticed when we paid the final bill.  We should have asked and gone with our own bottles (which we had cute labels for too!).  I don't know if she does that for fall weddings or not, but you should probably ask because that could hit your budget in an unexpected way.
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

Does Ceremony water = water bottles for heat?  $8 a bottle??!?!?!?!  BJ's sells cases of water for like $4 or $5 bucks!  Wow!  Or am I missing something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_over-budget-cut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e44caf37-a63f-4522-9304-09d2b1b06c04Post:9cf06838-ca4a-4658-b5ef-15aad850a92f">Re: Over Budget: What to cut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over Budget: What to cut? : As of now, we ordered the cake completely seperate from The Pearl. We re-drafted our contract with The Pearl to reflect that the cake will no longer be included in the cost. Since we have already paid them the deposit which was meant for Great Cakes, they will have to cough up the extra money, rather than try to come up with "extras" for us to pay for. Since they never signed the original contract, we will just have to wait and see what their next move is. But I'm playing hard ball now baby. <strong>They messed with the wrong bride.
    </strong>Posted by sarahebrown[/QUOTE]

Oh no BRIDEZILLA!!!!!!!!  Go get 'em Sarah!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_over-budget-cut?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:e44caf37-a63f-4522-9304-09d2b1b06c04Post:035a42fd-ae39-4a71-a8c7-f7980f132fa9">Re: Over Budget: What to cut?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Over Budget: What to cut? : Does Ceremony water = water bottles for heat?  $8 a bottle??!?!?!?!  BJ's sells cases of water for like $4 or $5 bucks!  Wow!  Or am I missing something?
    Posted by Phillyboy06[/QUOTE]

Haha.. no.. it was just bottled water for guests since they had to sit outside during the ceremony.  I don't think it was actually $8, I was exaggerating and should have put "like" in front of it. They should make a sarcasm font. ;)  But it was a lot compared to what you'd pay for bottled water yourself. I remember thinking I was glad everyone didn't decide they needed a bottle.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I voted programs. We aren't having them. Just make sure you have a interesting, fact-filled website for the people to check out and see who's who.  I would still include some sort of favor, maybe a cheap food thing, or get matchbooks etc when they're on sale online. I've gotten quite a bit of my decorations from the thrift store. Candleholders, christmas lights etc.   Hope this helps. Good luck, staying under the budget can be pretty tough.
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd honestly cut all of it except the favors.  The only option that we have are the favors and I spent hours tying ribbons on little favor boxes this weekend.  I purchased Hershey Kisses and had personalized stickers on the bottom.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards