Wedding Party

Asking the groomsmen...

Should the bride or the groom ask the bride's brothers to be groomsmen?

Re: Asking the groomsmen...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_asking-groomsmen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c6c722e5-ea3a-45b1-b9b8-831edfcf6fb0Post:86f42baa-2bc4-4feb-8712-d8756080904a">Asking the groomsmen...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Should the bride or the groom ask the bride's brothers to be groomsmen?
    Posted by sarina28[/QUOTE]
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">The groom should both choose and ask his own GM.  It's his day too and he has choices and responsibilities of his own.</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • I don't think it matters, but talk to your FI and work it out amongst yourselves.

MH and I agreed to ask my brother to be a groomsman. I asked my brother if he'd like to be in our wedding party, and MH got a little peeved at that because he thought HE would ask him. So just talk to him and decide how you want to do it. You could ask him jointly if you want.
  • The bride asks the bridesmaids, the groom asks the groomsmen.  Goes with the name.  If you want your brothers to be groomsmen, talk with your FI about it.  He gets the choice.  I know in my family it became a sort of tradition for the male siblings of the bride to be included as groomsmen, but my FI doesn't feel that close to my 2 brothers, so I am finding other ways to include them in the wedding.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Meh, I don't think it matters. If I were I was going to a BM for my SIL I wouldn't care who asked.
  • Yeah, you will get mixed answers and opinions on this. I don't have any brothers, so it wasn't an issue. However, H has a sister who I asked to be a BM and stand up on my side. While she could have stood on his side, I didn't really think that was necessary.
  • If we weren't having a mixed gender WP, we probably would have asked together.  As it was, I was asking him to stand on my side, so I asked him myself.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • I think if the brother is standing up for the groom than the groom should ask him.  If I was going to be in a wedding and the groom (even if I was closer) asked me to stand up for the bride I would be a little miffed. I think you should be asked by the person you are presenting, or jointly I think would work as well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards