New Jersey - South

Cape May

Re: Cape May

• mander3117mander3117 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @loshea05
    My numbers are exactly the same, 5 and 5 plus about 12 tables and my quote is $1600 from Kate's Flower Shope in West Cape May...I also had quotes of $1700 from a shop in Stone Harbor, and quotes of $2400 and $2700 from another Cape May florist (two different quotes, as one was priced if I left out or changes some aisle decorations I wanted).  Hope this helps. 
    I wanted my flowers to be nice, but they weren't as high a priority for me as venue or food, so perhaps depending on your specific choices you may be more or less, but I can tell you that quote was for my bouquet, groom's bout, all wedding party flowers, 12 centerpieces, 2 ceremony wreath decorations, aisle decorations, a placecard table arrangement and all parents flowers.
    Drop me a note if you need more info.

• reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What are you girld doing in terrms of a wedding cake? Have any of you had experience with Victory? We are having our reception at Hotel Alcott and Victory does their cakes - but we have the option to go with someone else if we like. Thoughts?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

In my opinion, if you have the option to go with a bakery other than Victory, I would exercise it.  Having grown up in, and now moved back to Cape May, I know that Victory does have quality products for things like breads, pepperoni bread, but for a wedding cake there are much better options around the area.
      Try Cape May Bakers or La Patisserie both in Cape May and both are well established and have great products, or PM me and I can give you some more options I know of... 

• reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks mander, i PMed you!
  • dd78dd78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

reliart - YGPM

imageAnniversary
  • jacquiroxxjacquiroxx member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey all!  I'm a future Cape May bride too :)

Fi and I are in the very beginning of our wedding planning and are shooting for an August 2012 wedding.  I see that some of you are getting/have gotten married at Hotel Alcott.  That's our number one choice so far (just based on their website).  We plan to be wed on a Friday night.

What is the general price range for the Hotel Alcott, if you don't mind sharing?  We're living in Georgia right now while I finish school but are originally from King of Prussia, PA and can't get to Jersey till this summer to check out venues.

Thanks so much for any info you may have!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@jacquiroxx
    Congrats, we looked at Hotel Alcott as well.  I've sent you a PM with what we received related to pricing.  Hope it is helpful!

• reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing alcott. i'm sure you already got the prices from mander. but they do seem to be willing to work with people and their prices for fri/sun and off season are way lower. plus, you bring your own liquor so that helps with $$. i'd say the major downside is the the hotel rooms are kinda $$ (even with the discount) and there is a 2 night min. other than that i have no complaints so far, they have been awesome to work with!
  • edited December 2011
    Im a Cape May Bride too!
    I am getting married in August and Im having my ceremony and reception at the Grand Hotel!  Our rehearsal dinner is at Peter Sheilds! The pictures of Peter sheilds are beautiful! I have lived in cape may all my life and never been inside peer sheilds! haha
    We looked into the southern mansion but our guest list is too big for their venue, so we went with the grand. The southern mansion is beautiful tho! and the outside ceremony will be beautiful! I loved the spiral staircase there!
    We are going with Perfect Day Photography as well! They have great prices and they were recommended to us by our coordinator!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @shayna3lizab3th
    Who are you using as a coordinator?
  • edited December 2011
    Mander-
    Amelia Winkworth is my coordinator. She is the event coordinator at The Grand Hotel. Im not sure if she does outside events though.
  • edited December 2011
    So I am having my wedding at the Grand Hotel, which is right on beach drive. I have been thinking about where to have pictures taken and it makes sense to just go on the Beach, and I do want some beach pictures but I dont want my pictures to be only beach pictures. I am trying to think of a creative, garden/green place where my fiance (husband then) can go and get romantic wedding pictures taken. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks brides! :)
    P.S.- bought my dress today! Im so excited!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for coordinator info, wasn't sure if you were using someone seperately. 
    As for pictures you could go to the Gazebo/bandstand near the Washington Street Mall (Lafayette St, near Jackson St) it is a beautiful large white gazebo (some people have their weddings there) with garden area around it.  Or, another location could be the Elmen Physick Estate on Washington Street (just down from Southern Mansion).  I'm not sure how picky they are about people using thier grounds, but if that doesn't work there is another park on Madison St (I think) with a pond and small gazebo.
    I'm sure photographer will have ideas as well!  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!! Great ideas, im acctually gonna go look at them today! (granted its winter) but I can get an idea of how close they are and if they would be easy to get to in traffic.
    I just found out the weekend i booked my wedding is the weekend of the national lifeguard chapionships, so cape may is gonna be so crowded!!!!!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hope you made out well checking out picture places!  Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm a Cape May resident and was raised here, so have sort of an inside track on things :)
  • edited December 2011
    I didnt get a chance to check out the locations:( I was raised in cape may too! But I go to school in chattanooga TN and fly back tomorrow! But I will deff look into those places when I get back in May. Whats your wedding date bytheway? I noticerd about you were all chatting about bakers. I am looking into Victory and Cape May Bakers. I have herd some negative and positive things about both. What do you think? Are you doing a nautical theme by anychance?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our date is June 10, 2011...no nautical theme for us.  Actually trying to keep the beach-y theme to a minimum, only a few scattered starfish.
    I would go with Cape May Bakers over Victory, definitely.  You could also check out La Patisserie, on the Washington Street Mall.  They did my sister's cake and it was wonderful.  A new guy out there is Cakes for Shore, his name is Mark and he used to be the pastry chef at Congress Hall (among other places). 

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info about bakers! Im trying to stay away from beach theme too! lol June 10 is so soon! Thats so exciting! The weather should be great!!! I wont be back in Cape May till may, so im probably going to taste test at the places you mentioned  then! Me and my fiance' are not big cake people and are basically doing a cake just out of tradition. I think we are gonna try and encourporate some cup cakes just because we like them better, lol! What are your colors? We are doing ivory and blue!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Girls - Just got engaged while on vaca in Cabo San Lucas. We are looking @ Cape May for a potential Sept/Oct 2012 wedding - any advice for a newly engaged girl???! Thanks so much! Kat
  • edited December 2011

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful proposal! Cape May is a beautiful spot for weddings! September and october is beautiful in Cape May too!! Town is less busy and its not as hott as the summer! are you planning for a beach wedding?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @shayna3lizab3th-glad could help out.  cupcakes are fun!  we thought about that but my fiance decided that he wanted a regular cake and one that "was as tall as me", so we're going with tiers.  Colors are charcoal grey and red.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh Fun!  Cape May bride here too!  We are getting married and having the reception at Congress Hall next April so 1 year from next week.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate.  My Fiance and I love Cape May.  We live 45 mins from there and spend a lot of time there all season! 
  • ValDBrooklynValDBrooklyn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure you've already made your decision as I'm writing very late but I would steer clear away from Victory Baking in Cape May.  We had a horrible experience with them.  They claimed they understood the design and the whole thing was ugly and wrong.  I would be careful.  I was surprised by this b/c the Alcott did such a great job at our wedding - I didn't have one complaint except for the cake.  I have no idea why they use them.
  • reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i have to agree with val about victory. we just did our tasting at the alcott and the food was incredible! so excited about that... but the cake was eh. if you are not a cake person, the price is great. but i love wedding cake and want something yummy, so i am still searching. it does strike me as odd that alcott uses them when everything else seems top notch.
  • kandycermkandycerm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning a Cape May wedding for November of 2012 when my fiance gets out of the Army. I'm from South Jersey but we're currently living in Washington so I'm trying to have a good idea of venues/bakeries/florists before we fly out in July.

I'm considering having the reception at the Hotel Alcott since I loved what I found on their site, and the ceremony on the beach regardless of the fact it'll be chilly.  Does anyone know pricing for the Alcott?

Any advice?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing alcott and all their pricing is on their website. sit down and buffet are same price and you can save a lot by doing off season (nov will be perfect, costs much less!). i have really enjoyed everything about them so far - so easy to work with! our wedding is this oct, so i'll have more thoughts after that... but as far asplanning, icannot say enough good things. if you go with them, def make sure to go to a tasting ` and go with an empty stomch!! it was sooo yummy and there was so much! we are prob going with a baker in ocean city - oc cake studio - but i have also heard good things about cape may bakers. i did not care for the victory cake that they had at the tasting, but that might just be me :)
  • edited December 2011
    We just had our food tasting at the Alcott yesterday - YUM! I'm even more excited now :)

The only thing we didnt taste was the cake, but I haven't heard great things (Alcott uses Victory Baking).  Just wondering if the cake Is as terrible as people say?

Thanks ladies!!
  • swilbur86swilbur86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI! I'm getting married at the Grand Hotel this Sept..less then 90 days to go!! I have everything figured out except for my colors!!! I originally wanted purple but the crystal room in the grand has red carpet and green walls so im not sure what colors would go best in there..i'm using hydrangeas for my flowers so i was thinking about using white and blue hydrangeas or blue and purple or just all white....desicions descions HELP!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at The Southern Mansion June 21, 2013! I'm so excited. I'm in love with the venue and knew it was perfect when we first arrived.
  • edited December 2011
    @misskristin my wedding is going to be so close to yours! We are having our wedding May 11th 2013 at the Southern Mansion. I'm so excited :)

Are you have your ceremony and reception inside or outside?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards