Catholic Weddings

Wedding ceremony music

Did/do you plan on mostly instrumental music for your ceremony?  I had chosen a bunch of music for the prelude/processional/recessional, but when I met with the music director of my church, she wanted me to pick out a bunch of songs for the congregation to sing, including the wedding processional and recessional.  Is that normal?

I haven't been to a wedding at my church (I'm new to the area and also my church is in the suburbs where few young people live so there aren't many weddings done here), but I don't recall ever singing for the bridal processional or recessional.

Re: Wedding ceremony music

• Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh that is so weird.  That would've pissed me off.  Now,  at any normal mass, the congregation sings when the priest walks in, etc.  So, she's not completely off base.  But, it never happens at a wedding.  I would hate that so much that if she required it of me, I would find another church. 

We are doing both organ and a choir.  The only parts the congregation is singing are the refrain of the psalm, the lamb of god, memorial acclamation, sanctus, etc.  
  • edited December 2011
    Just tell her you would prefer instrumental music for the processional/recessional. I doubt you have to change churches because of this.

Besides the parts that Teresa mentioned, our mass will have songs for the guests to participate during the presentations of the gifts and communion.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we opted for just the organ for two reasons.  1, we didnt want to pay for the vocalist and 2, most of the vocalists i hear usually arent that good and thus not worth the money.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, this is another case where I'm going to have to talk with my priest and override the music director.  I don't mind congregational singing in the middle of the wedding, but I really want just organ music for the processional and recessional.
  • bugsbunny_222bugsbunny_222 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only instrumental music my husband and I had at our wedding was Canon in D for the bridal party that then transitioned to the wedding verse of How Beautiful for my walk down the aisle. Our recessional was to Testify to Love. Both were recommended by our musical director and we both really loved how they turned out!
  • edited December 2011
    The majority of our music is instrumental. We did not have any music with words to choose from, aside from the alleluia and responsorial Psalm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had instrumental music (2 violins, piano, and guitar) for the processional and bridal entrance. We then sang a Gathering Song after everyone was in their place, which is normally just sung during the processional during a regular mass. Maybe that's what the music director meant? We also had our cantors sing throughout the mass- for the responsorial psalm, Alleluia, mass parts, unity candle lighting, and Communion song.
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also just had an instrumental recessional, no singing. We printed our music in our programs and people sang along to the other songs during our ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing what Alyssa did.  I think.  The music director called me yesterday to inform me he is moving 6 days before my wedding.  I still need to contact the replacement he found!  Anyway-  we are having a gathering song with lyrics after the processional, and we do have a song with lyrics for the recessional, with the  instrumental version playing after.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Nickie431Nickie431 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning on including as much music as possible in my nuptial Mass, especially because I'll be getting married at my former college chapel and will be asking friends who are former members of the choir to direct, accompany, and sing.

The music director may be requesting songs the congregation can sing for the parts of the Mass where the priest enters and exits, so you still could have instrumentals for your entrance and exit with your newly pronounced husband.  Besides any suggestions given by your music director, you can look in your church's hymnal under topics such as "Matrimony", "Unity", and "Love for Others" to find several beautiful songs that would be appropriate.

Blessings!
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Though we had both a string quartet and a full choir, we chose to do intstrumental-only for all preludes and processional/recessionals. I would speak with the director, I'm sure there is something that can be worked out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards