April 2012 Weddings

The cake

So I am vegan, and vegan wedding cakes are even more ridiculously expensive than regular wedding cakes.  I am having 150-175 guests, and was thinking about having a small "professionally-made" vegan wedding cake to cut into, and maybe having vegan sheet cakes in the back for the rest of the guests.  I was thinking about making the sheet cakes myself, because I do a lot of vegan baking at home.  I just don't know if it would be too much to take on the day before the wedding.

What are you guys doing?  Are you doing one big wedding cake or having sheet cakes in the back?

Would you ever make your own cakes?

Photobucket

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: The cake

• Here is something I would say from a non-vegan stand point -

Are all of your guests vegan?  If not, you might think of offering both options - Say a small tier vegan cake (since its expensive) and a large non-vegan sheetcake.

I have nothing against Vegan weddings, but my sister (a vegan) is doing it the above way as not everyone enjoys vegan food. It's kind of like saying "I only each chocolate cake, screw the people who don't like chocolate"

I would also neeeever recommend making your own cake.  You will have way too much going on to think about that :P
  • My cousin is considering switching careers into bakery, so she is doing one big cake for me.

I wouldn't have a problem eating vegan cake, and I am pretty much the opposite of vegan. I do think the timing would be difficult. You are going to be crazy busy and stressed. Personally, I wouldn't want to take that on.
  • I agree making your own cake could be stressful with everything else you have going on.  I think it is a good idea to have a small cake to cut and then sheet cakes in back. 
  • I agree with PP that taking on baking cakes even something easy like sheet cakes could be to much to handle the day before the wedding. However if you think you can handle it then go for it just be prepared for the extra work and stress it could cause you. We had originally thought of doing a small cake for us and then sheet cakes for the guests but we got an amazing price quote from a great baker and have now decided to just do one big cake! Good luck!
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    I agree about maybe doing the smaller vegan cake for you and then have non-vegan for others, unless a great number of your guests are also vegan. 

If you insist on doing all vegan, could you maybe ask/pay a family member or friend that can bake well to do it by the recipe you know? That might save you a little time and money. 

I would not take on this project so close to the finish line. You will have so much going on that you cannot even think of now, and the last thing you'll probably want to do is bake. Totally a personal decision, but just expect the unexpected and give yourself PLENTY of time for everything that needs to be done. I would definitely ask for a hand. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • I too would also look into doing both types. Def do not make cakes yourself. Wayy to much stress! :)
    ~Melissa Photobucket
  • I say dont make the cakes yourself. My sister just told me about the sheet cakes option.. Do that
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards