Iowa-Des Moines

XP: Small Town Blues

Hello!!!! So FI and I are both from a small town and we've chosen to have our ceremony in my hometown for sentimental reasons. Well this decision cuts our reception venue choices way down!!! And because of our large guest list, there's pretty much only one option.

Anyway with the amount of work, money and hassle put into making our venue beautiful I'm starting to think we should just spend the extra $, forget the sentimental location and head for the city. Anyone else have these troubles? Any advice?

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful input!!!

Re: XP: Small Town Blues

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The first thing I would tell you is to pick a budget, then get your guest list. If you guest list doesn't fit where you want it in your hometown then I'd say head to the city. But if you really want to have it in your hometown then go for it and cut your guest list.

I chose not to cut my guest list and found a bigger place to have our reception and it was the right choice for me, I loved ever minute, and my guests enjoyed themselves with lots of room to move around!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • ceceibsonceceibson member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_xp-small-town-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:01061f39-a18a-4607-b04b-367d8350724bPost:7f771bc0-9957-4fbd-9e92-b64043328667">XP: Small Town Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!!!! So FI and I are both from a small town and we've chosen to have our ceremony in my hometown for sentimental reasons. Well this decision cuts our reception venue choices way down!!! And because of our large guest list, there's pretty much only one option. Anyway with the amount of work, money and hassle put into making our venue beautiful I'm starting to think we should just spend the extra $, forget the sentimental location and head for the city. Anyone else have these troubles? Any advice? Thanks in advance for all your wonderful input!!!
    Posted by BreV[/QUOTE]

<div>We're getting married in a small town, too.  Because it's my hometown, there's a sentimental connection for me.  Plus, FI and I bought a vacation home there together.</div><div>
    </div><div>We live in the city, the small town is about 1 1/2 hours north.  Our venue choices were also limited.  We took the biggest one [which, as luck would have it, is the beach-front resort accross the street from our cabin] and we're just running with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm finding myself forced into being more creative and DIY than I might have been here because of the limited availability of supplies and vendors up there.  But I'm also finding it far more fun!  Everything about this wedding is about us and/or the Lake. So, in that sense, it's been easier to make decisions about decor, flowers, music, etc.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    edited December 2011
    My parents were kind of upset that we didn't want the small-town wedding. But most of our friends live here, and hotel space for guests was very limited in small-town land. Our guests would have driven all the way to the wedding, and then had to have driven another 20 miles to a hotel. After drinking. Once they saw that logic, we were excused. So it's up to you individually, and convenience for everybody.
  • BreVBreV member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_xp-small-town-blues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:80Discussion:01061f39-a18a-4607-b04b-367d8350724bPost:7ed83ba2-88a2-4147-a35f-2f292c8ed6d1">Re: XP: Small Town Blues</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first thing I would tell you is to pick a budget, then get your guest list. If you guest list doesn't fit where you want it in your hometown then I'd say head to the city. But if you really want to have it in your hometown then go for it and cut your guest list. I chose not to cut my guest list and found a bigger place to have our reception and it was the right choice for me, I loved ever minute, and my guests enjoyed themselves with lots of room to move around!
    Posted by medusia00[/QUOTE]

We have a budget, guest list and it fits in my hometown venue. But we're tying to decide if it's worth it to spend the money to make this venue look beautiful or just move our ceremony/reception an hour away and put the money towards a nice venue that wouldn't need as much work.
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, Then I would say the choice is what do you want to do on your wedding day? Or do you want to hire a coordinator to do the work for you? If you have the money to make it the way you want it then I would say have it small town!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards