Honeymoon Discussions

Where to go

My FI and I are going on our honeymoon a couple months after our June wedding, probably late September, maybe even spring next year. We want to go down south like North or South Carolina or out west like Colorado or Wyoming. I want to see mountains or the ocean. Is there any place you can recommend? We want to avoid big cities or tourist traps like Orlando. We like camping and hiking. FYI we're going to be driving from michigan and we'll probably only have a week maybe 10 days.

Re: Where to go

• I haven't been to Wyoming or Colorado, so I can't comment on those.  But North and South Carolina are beautiful.  You say you want to avoid large cities - I would do Charleston and Savannah.  They are both quite small with excellent food, very romantic atmosphere, and about an hour and a half apart.  Charleston also has Kiawah Island right off the coast - excellent golfing if you are into that.

If you really want to camp, North Carolina is probably your best bet.  The blue ridge mountains are  lovely (though not nearly as large as the Rockies) and there are a lot of lakes where you can rent a cabin, etc.  There is also rafting, etc. through that area near the GA-NC border.

I'm personally not a huge camper, but the coolest place I've ever camped was Assateague/Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia.  There's a huge national park there (not forest, but beach) and so you can see some pretty cool wildlife.  We camped there when I was little - I'm sure you can probably still do it because tourism is important there.  The coolest part?  There are herds of wild ponies that run the beach at dawn each morning.  It's a truly incredible thing to watch.  The state owns them, but they are completely wild.  Supposedly they are descended from the horses that came over hundreds of years ago.  I would call the tourism office if you are interested and see if they still tend to run in the morning, because that's mostly the entire point of going there, and they only run if they feel like running.  But I remember seeing it and being completely blown away by it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hoff handled North and South Carolina really well.

Wyoming and Colorado are pretty awesome. They are perfect for camping and secluded honeymoons. My best friend actually went there for her honeymoon and they brought their dogs with. There are so many National Parks and wildlife and you can pretty much go anywhere from Denver to Laramie. I also have a friend that lives in Wyoming and it is very secluded and far but extremely gorgeous. Love the pictures they post. And you could always swing through Omaha on your way out west. :-)

• In Response to Re:Where to go:[QUOTE]I haven't been to Wyoming or Colorado, so I can't comment on those. nbsp;But North and South Carolina are beautiful. nbsp;You say you want to avoid large cities I would do Charleston and Savannah. nbsp;They are both quite small with excellent food, very romantic atmosphere, and about an hour and a half apart. nbsp;Charleston also has Kiawah Island right off the coast excellent golfing if you are into that.If you really want to camp, North Carolina is probably your best bet. nbsp;The blue ridge mountains are nbsp;lovely though not nearly as large as the Rockies and there are a lot of lakes where you can rent a cabin, etc. nbsp;There is also rafting, etc. through that area near the GANC border.I'm personally not a huge camper, but the coolest place I've ever camped was Assateague/Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia. nbsp;There's a huge national park there not forest, but beach and so you can see some pretty cool wildlife. nbsp;We camped there when I was little I'm sure you can probably still do it because tourism is important there. nbsp;The coolest part? nbsp;There are herds of wild ponies that run the beach at dawn each morning. nbsp;It's a truly incredible thing to watch. nbsp;The state ownns them, but they are completely wild. nbsp;Supposedly they are descended from the horses that came over hundreds of years ago. nbsp;I would call the tourism office if you are interested and see if they still tend to run in the morning, because that's mostly the entire point of going there, and they only run if they feel like running. nbsp;But I remember seeing it and being completely blown away by it. Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]
    That island sounds cool I'll talk to my FI about it and ill check it out online. thanks!
  • if you want to see ocean neither WY or CO meet that criteria.

you could easily drive to upstate new york, hit the adirondacks and catsills, drive through and go to rhode island, CT shore, Long island, mass shore, islands etc.. or up to maine. there are the white mountains in NH too or the berkshires in MA.

• In Response to Re:Where to go:[QUOTE]if you want to see ocean neither WY or CO meet that criteria. you could easily drive to upstate new york, hit the adirondacks and catsills, drive through and go to rhode island, CT shore, Long island, mass shore, islands etc.. or up to maine. there are the white mountains in NH too or the berkshires in MA. Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the advice. But The weather in the northeast is just as unpredicatble and very similar to that in michigan during the times of year we want to go. Either may of next year or September of this year. Which means we may not be able to swim because it could be too cold. which would be a huge bummer for me. But I think it would be okay to swim in va or nc or sc that time of year.
  • LOL you didn't say you wanted to swim. you only said you want to go to the beach.
    i love int he NE so i know all about sept weather here. ocean water, by me anyway, is still fine to swim in. it's not unpredictable here in september. it's warm. actually usually it's pretty freaking hot. our weather is not like michigans :) well-nyc and long island, and along the sound-CT, RI, MA.

• In Response to Re:Where to go:[QUOTE]LOL you didn't say you wanted to swim. you only said you want to go to the beach.i love int he NE so i know all about sept weather here. ocean water, by me anyway, is still fine to swim in. it's not unpredictable here in september. it's warm. actually usually it's pretty freaking hot. our weather is not like michigans : wellnyc and long island, and along the soundCT, RI, MA. Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]
    Sorry I always thought swimming and beaches are synomous. Going to a beach that I couldn't swim at would be like going to a theme park where all the rides were broken. Michigan can get pretty hot in September too. I've even gone swimming in Lake Huron in October. Granted it was a freakishly warm October 85 degrees. But a couple years before that I had a snowball fight in october. But I always hear about those nor'easter storms in the north east.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards