Wedding Party

Nasty BM

13»

Re: Nasty BM

• wow! So sorry to hear that! Definitely a touchy situation. I'm liking the suggestions to take her out and reserve a discussion for complete non wedding topics. Maybe you both need to just kick back and relax and remember exactly why you have stayed friends for so long.

$210 is a bit much for a bms dress, but at the same time.. not really! Most salons can be anywhere from 200 to 400!!! And as far as alterations go, everyone who thinks $80 is much has another thing coming. A hem alone can cost anywhere from $45 to $60 in a salon. But the suggestion to have her alts done by a private tailor are a good idea as well, almost ALWAYS less expensive than a salon... just want to make sure they are guaranteed as most salons are. Besides, you did discuss pricing with the girls.

As you said, the salon is sending her a letter.. so I would leave it be. Maybe check with the salon though.... maybe the manager can make an exception for one girl? Just in case, it might be a good idea to find that out.

Best of luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nasty-bm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:d58b813a-97eb-45fe-9b79-ee75058aba05Post:159ff793-6979-4c6f-8095-b5be7a3aacf5">Re: Nasty BM</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow! So sorry to hear that! Definitely a touchy situation. I'm liking the suggestions to take her out and reserve a discussion for complete non wedding topics. Maybe you both need to just kick back and relax and remember exactly why you have stayed friends for so long. $210 is a bit much for a bms dress, but at the same time.. not really! <strong>Most salons can be anywhere from 200 to 400!!! </strong>And as far as alterations go, everyone who thinks $80 is much has another thing coming. A hem alone can cost anywhere from $45 to $60 in a salon. But the suggestion to have her alts done by a private tailor are a good idea as well, almost ALWAYS less expensive than a salon... just want to make sure they are guaranteed as most salons are. Besides, you did discuss pricing with the girls. As you said, the salon is sending her a letter.. so I would leave it be. Maybe check with the salon though.... maybe the manager can make an exception for one girl? Just in case, it might be a good idea to find that out. Best of luck!
    Posted by xxamberzenergyxx[/QUOTE]<div>I don't know what boutiques you go to, but I've never paid more than $150 for a BM dress and have never been asked to.  You certainly CAN spend $200-$400, but why would you ask someone to spend that much on a single-occasion dress?  Cheaper dresses can be found, and should be if the BM indicates that the bride has picked something too expensive.

</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • spending so much on bridesmaids dresses sounds a bit strange to me. Go to the nearest mall of outlet and you can find some prom dresses or coctail dresses (whatever makes more sense for your wedding style) for under $100 and even around $50.  Notice taht you are making THEM pay for the dreses that YOU picked out. 

What is wrong with having a bridal shower at Chuckie Cheese???? Can you explain that? Millions of brides are looking for exotic wedding locations and unusual places for showers and here you are complaining about Chuckie Cheese! What can be more unusual???

caclling your wedding a "sh...t" is not appropriate but that is about it for her rudeness.  
    It is not easy to save up $100 especially if there are other financial responsibilities in one's life and you really have no right to tell her how much money she can or cannot save.

You are going to marry your THE ONE AND ONLY man of your dreams and you are worried about such silly things? why? If she cannot afford the dress and will show up in something else does it REALLY have the power to ruin your wedding?

lolz and please explain the Chuckie Cheese thing :) no offence please

• summer4077summer4077 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nasty-bm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:d58b813a-97eb-45fe-9b79-ee75058aba05Post:2e7b88d3-6ad5-40b9-b252-4485ddf5b460">Re: Nasty BM</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nasty BM : I don't know what boutiques you go to, but I've never paid more than $150 for a BM dress and have never been asked to.  You certainly CAN spend $200-$400, but why would you ask someone to spend that much on a single-occasion dress?  Cheaper dresses can be found, and should be if the BM indicates that the bride has picked something too expensive.
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I've never heard of BM dresses being more than $150, but I live in the Midwest.  Cheaper dresses should be found if a BM can't afford it, however
    the OP indicated that she had met with each BM privately and all had said they were comfortable with the price.
  • I know people who act like that, and you can't reason with them.  Hence, I suggest you withdraw yourself as much as possible.  Don't be the first point of contact, for example: ask the dress shop to call your bridesmaid directly and remind her to pay for her dress.  If you try not to be the 'giver of bad news' directly then she can't directly take her frustration out on you.

I would also recommend paying for your own bridal shower if you are having one... seeing as your bridesmaids are paying for their own dresses.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards