Just Engaged and Proposals

Did you pick out your ring??

13»

Re: Did you pick out your ring??

• I picked out my exact ring.  We have been looking for months. FI won't buy me anything less than what I want.
  • I had hinted to what I didn't really like when we'd discussed it before...but other than that he picked it out all by himself and it was a total surprise and I love it!
  • First i received a tiffany's silver ring which he gave me in Hawaii.
    We later went shopping and i picked a tiffany's bezel set princess. not to gaudy but perfect for me! I love it!
  • My fiance designed my ring himself. He actually proposed with the design rather than the finished ring. I loved going to the jeweler with him to discuss design details and see it come together from start to finish.
    Neither of us like diamonds so he chose a peridot which is my birthstone and I love it.
  • My fiance is the king of surprises and spontaneity, so I never expected to go "ring shopping" with him. He's always been very aware of my personal style and taste when it comes to jewelry. He's also not the type to go along with what everyone else is doing.

He used two stones from his mother's engagement ring, picked out a new center stone, and designed the ring around what he thought would be right for me. After he gave me the ring, he said that if I wanted to change anything I could, but I love it exactly as he designed it. To me, it means that much more. I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • I did.  I am not a diamond person and there was a specific jeweler (Reinstein/Ross) that works with different colored sapphires.  I went ahead of time to make sure they had options I liked and we went back together to pick the final one.  I think he was relieved he didn't have to make such a big decision all by himself, knowing that I wanted something I had never seen before.  We both walked away happy that the ring represented us and what we are trying to do.
  • I picked mine out myself and then it was bought. My style and his are very different in jewery so it worked out better this way. He showed me what he would have picked and I would have not worn it. Just totally not functioning for my job and lifestyle.
  • FI and I went to look at rings together, and I saw one that I absolutely loved.  It was a little too expensive (brand name), though, so he went to a local jeweler and had one custom made just like the other one for less money.  I love the result.
  • kmvalentinekmvalentine member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I picked out the semi-mount band and went back a few times to look at it and make sure that's what I wanted.  Once I knew, I told him.  He surprised me, because within a month he asked me to marry him.  I didn't think he'd do it that quick!  He picked out the 1 karat main diamond.
  • We went shopping and I picked out my ring.  I love it and look forward to wearing it the rest of my life.  It's perfect.

• Well we had gone to a couple of jewelry stores to look unofficially, but to be honest I really didn't have a specific style I wanted. So he picked it out all by himself - he didn't even ask my mom or sister for help! He ordered it online too! It was a total surprise and he did a great job cuz I love it. He bought it with the wedding band too :)
  • My fiancé proposed to me with a ring he made (!!!!), partly because he wanted to show his care for me by making my ring (not to mention his devotion and thoughtfulness! He's so wonderful...).

He didn't want to propose without a ring, but he also didn't want to choose it for me (my dad's a jeweler and I've grown up with strong opinions on what jewelry I wear).  So we went shopping a few weeks after we became engaged and I picked it out within 20 minutes. We did shop around more after that, and came back to visit "the one" a few times before ultimately purchasing it.

I'm so happy. -^_^-
  • My F had it custom made in Nepal, i hadn't seen it, but he had asked if I prefered diamonds or colored stone (I ended up getting a 1.5 carat perfect ruby!)  ilove love love my ring, but because it was made in nepal where they don't really understand what an engagement ring is, it isn't flat because the stone is set quite low so it doesn't sit flush against the wedding band, but oh well! I still love it! It feels like the beautiful bow he has put on his to-be-wife
  • We had been talking about marriage for a while and had gone to a couple of jewelry stores just for fun to look at rings. He knew I liked the three stone settings the best and ran with that. He ended up getting mine at a local jeweler. They had one that he loved but with much smaller diamonds than he wanted (1/4 total weight), and he picked out the diamonds he wanted and the setting was hand made to fit the stones (1 1/2 total weight). It is different than any ring I have ever seen, with gold sweeping around the three stones set at an angle. It is absolutely perfect and better than anything I could have picked out. And I can proudly say that he picked out the setting and the stones all on his own!!
  • Everyone that sees my ring goes -- Oh wow! That is so you!!!  I know it is -- I totally picked it! LOL.  I love it love it love it! 

First I'm not a diamond girl -- blasphemy I know but I don't like them much. I also love vintage styles 1930s, 50s i'm there!!  So when he said to me -- I need your help b/c I don't want to see that look LOL.  I knew what he meant.  So I said I want filligree & millgrain and vintage setting -- his eyes started to glaze! LOL.  I had to help out. 

My ring was created from scratch -- we got the stone a 3ct pink/peach padparadscha sapphire, we got our jeweler dropped a jeweler found a better jeweler and then it was perfect.  It is a vintage rose gold setting with filligree millgrain and everything I wanted and the sapphire just glows.  LOVE IT!  Happy happy happy.

I told him as long as he uses the same jeweler I don't care what he does with the wedding ring! LOL.
  • edited February 2010
    I had nothing to do with picking out my ring...David did it all on his own. Without an "official" proposal we had still been talking marriage and he did ask if I wanted to pick the ring out myself but I told him no. I really wanted to see what he would choose without any input from me. And while it is nothing like what I would have chosen myself (far too many stones) it really is perfect and knowing he picked it for me only makes it even more so. Particularly after he explained that the line of little diamonds that curves asymetrically around the regularly sized diamond represents our past, the path we took to find each other...and the line of little diamonds on the matching wedding band that will curve around the opposite way represents our future...the path we will set out on together. That was all it took for me to fall in love with this ring! And even more in love with my future husband.... =)
  • We looked at rings last Saturday, and we went back to purchase the ring Sunday!! I LOVE MY RING!! I picked out a Valina. Most beautiful ring in the whole world!!! But it won't be ready for pick up till Thursday!!!!!!

• Yes, because I REALLY wanted the Hearts on Fire Diamond. I hoped to pick out a few styles so he could surprise me, but we fell in love with the twisted band instead :)<3
    ~cgo
  • I picked out the setting, my center stone was actually my mothers that I've loved since I was a little girl!!!! My ring is STUNNING.. people don't just look at my hand, they literally grab it.  I work in retail, and people stop their shopping and what they are doing just to say congrats! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_did-pick-out-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b262b4a5-e244-4ced-8cf8-b0015045af4bPost:3ed6edac-3fd6-46b1-89ba-086cdbc855a9">Re: Did you pick out your ring??</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I went to look at rings together, and I saw one that I absolutely loved.  It was a little too expensive (brand name), though, so he went to a local jeweler and had one custom made just like the other one for less money.  I love the result.
    Posted by joonbug678[/QUOTE]

Similar story here. Except mine is a little different from what I looked at. Different cut and larger band so it's not as light on my hand. Still getting used to it.  I do love the design though and it was sweet of my FI to surprise me the way he did when he asked me to marry him.
  • Nope, he picked it out all by himself!  I love surprises, and this was the biggest one yet!  We had never even discussed rings, what I would like or not like, but he got the perfect one!  It's a white gold solitaire with a twisted setting and 6 tiny diamonds on either side, set into the metal.  People had asked me before what the perfect ring would be and I said "whichever one he picks and gives me when he asks the question, 'will you marry me?' "  I absolutely love it and it's extra special to me because he got something so beautiful just for me on his own!  I wouldn't have had it any other way!
  • We have quite the ring story!  I had looked at thousands online and never really found one I loved.  We planned a weekend get away, and I had a feeling that he was going to propose, and assumed that he had done it on his own.  But three days before we left he asked about what size diamond I wanted, and I was TOTALLY bummed, thinking it wasn't coming. 

On the trip, he proposed (perfectly) with my mother's engagement ring, that my father had given my mother in 1971.  He explained that it wasn't permanent, but that he was proposing with this one so that we could go through the ring shopping experience together.  It was INCREDIBLY special because, since we lost my father to cancer a while ago, it was kind of like having Dad's approval.

That began a 5 month process of going to dozens and dozens of stores and finally deciding to get a custom ring made, because I'm so picky.  He's a product designer, so he did the initial sketches and an initial 3D CAD rendering.  We had it made, had them find a diamond for us, and voila!  It was perfect because although I had looked at the computer design so much, seeing it finally in person left me completely speechless.  It was truly a labor of love for us!  It's a very square cusion cut, with a halo of tiny diamonds, and matching tiny diamonds along the band, with a graceful V underneath the setting.  It's beautiful.  :)  P.S.  If anyone goes custom, you can find a wholesale jeweler who can save you a TON of money!  I can recommend one in Houston!

• I did not pick my ring as I had NO CLUE this was coming.  He listened to my comments here and there and bought accordingly.  My ring is everything I wanted, perfect!  :)  He did extremely well and Im glad I didnt know about it.

• My FI proposed without a ring so we went together to pick one out. We chose a yellow gold (rare these days) setting and a marquis shape diamond (also not real common). It is fabulous and I love it. I am 4'10" and have very small hands so I didn't want anything really big. My ring doesn't overpower my hand and fits like a dream. We picked wedding bands that match eachothers. We felt that was more special than picking a ring set.
  • I picked the setting, he picked the diamond.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I did but I didn't know it :) A close friend of mine/co-worker and I had both been talking about what our ideal rings would look like. Little did I know my fiance had her working to get an idea of the ring i wanted. She sent me a couple of pictures and from what I told her he had my ring designed so pretty much yeah I picked it out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • I not only picked out my ring, I picked out my center stone as well.  He was definitely a part of the process and I am curious as to what he would have picked out on his own-but I also know he was relieved to not have to worry about that.  I made it very clear though, during the process that this is the ring I would pick out if I chose it for myself, but that ANY ring he got me would be more than enough-as long as it came from him, but he wanted me to have what I wanted-so that's what we ultimately ended up choosing.  I absolutely LOVE my ring and am happy with my choice to pick it out. 
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards