Wedding Party

Not Talking to Maid of Honor

Long story short - my maid of honor is mad at me because my grandmother babysits maid of honor's child and maid of honor wants to claim some ridiculous amount as childcare expenses ($1200) on her taxes so she can get more money back but my grandmother is only going to sign off on what she actually paid her (about $400). I of course side with my grandmother. Since this whole thing has taken place, I haven't heard from maid of honor and I don't know if she's still going to be in my wedding. I called her once and she didn't answer or return my call. I'm not going to keep calling her and I believe that she should be calling me and my grandmother to apologize for getting upset over the law. I just need to know at this point if she's going to be in the wedding or not....

Re: Not Talking to Maid of Honor

• Why do you need to know now?  I mean, it sucks not to know, but if she shows up to the wedding in the dress then she's in the wedding.  Have yout ried to talk to her on a friendship basis and not about just the wedding?

I do think that if she wants to claim the $1200, she needs to pay your grandmother another $800, of course.
  • Do you really want her in the wedding after this?  Or in your life, for that matter?
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • I need to know because the wedding is in 3 months. I need to figure out other options if she's not going to be there. And, she was supposed to be planning the bridal shower and bachelorette party.
  • There aren't other "options" needed on wedding day.  You don't need attendants at all to get married.  It doesn't matter how many people your FI has on his side.  It doesn't matter if he has a BM and you don't have a MOH.  It's really just a meaningless (honorary) title after all.

As for the b-party and shower....if she doesn't plan them, perhaps someone else will step in and do it.  But those also aren't required.  Nice to have?  Sure.  But you'll be just as married without a shower and b-party as you will with them.

But I also second other posters.  After the wedding, if she does show up, I don't think I'd be encouraging a continuing friendship with someone who wants a family member of mine to break the law. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • The best man walks alone and one of the bridesmaids stands next to you.  Someone else signs the marriage license.
  • She sounds like a pretty toxic person.  You don't need even sides for any attendants at all to get married.  I would suggest just letting it go.  If you reconcile, great.  If you don't, then nothing lost.

Just don't replace her.  That is a horrible thing to do to the "not good enough the first time around" MOH.
  • I think she doesn't sound all that great.

But ditto PPs.

Let things settle as they do.  If that unfortunately means that she doesn't plan a shower or bachelorette, that has to be OK.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_not-talking-maid-of-honor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b0e48152-021d-41f6-ba96-5147819bbf93Post:f3e853c7-d09d-41a7-aed1-c00dff41fc36">Not Talking to Maid of Honor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Long story short - my maid of honor is mad at me because my grandmother babysits maid of honor's child and maid of honor wants to claim some ridiculous amount as childcare expenses ($1200) on her taxes so she can get more money back but my grandmother is only going to sign off on what she actually paid her (about $400). I of course side with my grandmother. Since this whole thing has taken place, I haven't heard from maid of honor and I don't know if she's still going to be in my wedding. I called her once and she didn't answer or return my call. I'm not going to keep calling her and I believe that she should be calling me and my grandmother to apologize for getting upset over the law. I just need to know at this point if she's going to be in the wedding or not....
    Posted by K&M2002[/QUOTE]

That sucks, and I can see you maybe not even wanting to be friends with her after this. But unless you're 100% sure about that, don't kick her out, and don't replace her if she decides to drop out. As PPs have said, sides don't have to be even, and if your wedding's in just 3 months it's kind of an insult to the replacement because it's clear she wasn't your first choice.
  • She's thinking of committing tax fraud.  I think you might be well shut of her if she decides to not show up.  Continue with the plans as if she was still going to show up.  Please don't replace her.  If she doesn't show up the day of the wedding, pick a bridesmaid to sign your marriage license, and call it a day.  But she really sounds like a piece of work.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards