Military Brides

Little Language Poll

2»

Re: Little Language Poll

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:4771e313-4c48-4555-9461-b6b2968b71ac">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Othe people don't say blinkers??? I do. Huh.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    I say both.
  • Soda or Pop? Yeah, I say "coke" or "cokes" as well. As in "We need to pick up some cokes from the store." It's pretty common in MS, so it was hilarious when I worked at a place that served Pepsi products because someone would place their order and then order a "coke" and we always had to say "We serve Pepsi products, is that okay?" and then they would look at me like I was a crazy person.
     Buggie or Shopping cart? It was buggie til I was 18 and in college and got this English boyfriend and the first time we went to the store together he made so much fun of me for calling it that, so I retrained myself to say cart.
     Dinner or Supper? Generally, dinner. But dinner also refers to a large Sunday, or any holiday, lunchtime meal.
     Spigot or Faucet? I say tap. I do say spigot, but that only refers to an outdoor tap where the hose hooks up.

I have a lot of "Southern-isms" in my speech I can't think of right now, but "fix a plate" is one I do a lot. When I would cook for above English boyfriend in college and tell him it was ready and to fix a plate he would always say "Why? It's not broken." Every time. And that, among many reasons, is why he's an ex.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:59b2e994-3a1f-43b5-a665-0dd5b3d446e1">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soda or Pop? Yeah, I say "coke" or "cokes" as well. As in "We need to pick up some cokes from the store." It's pretty common in MS, so it was hilarious when I worked at a place that served Pepsi products because someone would place their order and then order a "coke" and we always had to say "<strong>We serve Pepsi products, is that okay?" and then they would look at me like I was a crazy person.</strong>  Buggie or Shopping cart? It was buggie til I was 18 and in college and got this English boyfriend and the first time we went to the store together he made so much fun of me for calling it that, so I retrained myself to say cart.  Dinner or Supper? Generally, dinner. But dinner also refers to a large Sunday, or any holiday, lunchtime meal.   Spigot or Faucet? I say tap. I do say spigot, but that only refers to an outdoor tap where the hose hooks up. I have a lot of "Southern-isms" in my speech I can't think of right now, but "fix a plate" is one I do a lot. When I would cook for above English boyfriend in college and tell him it was ready and to fix a plate he would always say "Why? It's not broken." Every time. And that, among many reasons, is why he's an ex.
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I have been one of those people. HAA

Also, as a fellow southern I to use fixin' on and I am pretty good about dropping the "g" off of words that end with them when I speaking.  Here are a couple of examples. Not all words just some. 

fixing = fixin'
    Getting ready to = gettin' ready to. 
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Ohhhh. TexasRanger- That reminds me, I say sweeper.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Oooh I know one!  What do you call what you get at Subway?  A sub, grinder, or hoagie?

Yep, I call it a grinder.  I don't think anywhere else in the country does, though!

Anniversary

• CozyHeart13CozyHeart13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:2c9dfd15-0911-44b8-8ab4-c531c8321cc4">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oooh I know one!  What do you call what you get at Subway?  A sub, grinder, or hoagie? Yep, I call it a grinder.  I don't think anywhere else in the country does, though!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

To me: A hoagie is a type of bun, like you get at Subway; A grinder is a specific sandwich with ground sausage in a red sauce (kind of like a pizza sauce, but spicy) with mozzarella on a hoagie bun and toasted;  A sub is any other sandwich on hoagie at Subway... BUT, I only call it a sub at Subway, it's a sandwich at any other sandwich type restaurant.
  • Hmmmmm we would get grinders from the local pizza shop or something, so to me it's usually chicken parm or something else warm. I think regular turkey and cheese sandwiches from Subway are usually subs.....though I haven't thought about it much, I think I use both. Definitely not a hoagie!
  • edited January 2012
    I'm super late, but I wanted to play too!!

Soda or Pop? Coke.  It's all Coke.. we'll say "What do you want to drink?" "Coke" "What kind of Coke?" "Cheerwine" (Cheerwine for any one who is not familiar is a cherry flavored soda and it makes me very very happy).
    Buggie or Shopping cart? I think I pretty much always say Buggy..
    Dinner or Supper?  Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet?  Faucet inside, a Spigot is outside, and a waterfountain is a scuttlebutt.
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  I usually call them by the brand.. like "Let me put on my Nikes"  except when I'm playing tennis.. then they are my Tennies.
    Sucker or lollipop?  Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse, or Bag..

Also, a Yankee is anyone north of the Mason Dixon line, and west of Louisiana & Arkansas.. Basically if you're not from: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky or the Virginia's.. You're a Yankee.  If you're a Yankee state and you move to the south but constantly biitch about the south you're a Damn Yankee, and if you're a Yankee who tries to act Southern, You're a GD Yankee.. (but we'd never call you that to your face!Wink).  I always say "play" when I want to do something.  I say "swanee" a lot..  And when I say i want Tea I want Sweet Tea, otherwise I say Hot Tea. I also tend to drop my g's when I'm speaking, but I try to type like I have some concept of grammar..
    Photobucket
  • Aw- Cheerwine!  The one and only cherry flavored coke. 

edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:5d57bb5c-c4cc-4504-a387-9cbd3d14ce74">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, a Yankee is anyone north of the Mason Dixon line, and west of Louisiana & Arkansas.. Basically if you're not from: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky or the Virginia's.. You're a Yankee. <strong> If you're y Yankee state and you move to the south but constantly biitch about the south you're a Damn Yankee,</strong> and if you're a Yankee who tries to act Southern, You're a GD Yankee.. (but we'd never call you that to your face! ).  I always say "play" when I want to do something.  I say "swanee" a lot..  And when I say i want Tea I want Sweet Tea, otherwise I say Hot Tea. I also tend to drop my g's when I'm speaking, but I try to type like I have some concept of grammar..
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to be half of a Damn Yankee? There are things I LOVE about living in the south, and things that drive me completely bonkers.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:b1956edb-f7c3-4bf9-b611-7d8bce4a6079">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Little Language Poll : Is it possible to be half of a Damn Yankee? There are things I LOVE about living in the south, and things that drive me completely bonkers.
    Posted by CozyHeart13[/QUOTE]

I suppose you can be half.. what stuff drives you crazy?
    Photobucket
    edited January 2012

For starters - sweet tea! I didn't order sugar water, I ordered tea. If I wanted it to taste like sugar water, I would have specified I wanted it sweet. I like tea without a pound of sugar it and once it's in there, you can't take it out! (But I've adapted and usually remember to order unsweet tea - then they look at me funny and ask if I want sugar packets!)

And in the area I'm stuck living for now - the race issue is insane! And the drivers can't drive. And some of the ways people say things- OMG! My troop was born and raised in SC, and I never know what he's saying. NASCAR - what's so exciting about a car driving in circles of hours? But nothing happens on race day - NOTHING! And blue laws- I've never heard of such a thing until moving south. Thankfully one the most annoying local ones was repealed a couple years ago. Oh, and college football - if the team doesn't belong to whichever one of those conferences or whatever is big in the south, they obviously suck. Even after my Big Ten team beat SC the first year I was down here, the SC people still claimed their team was better because they were in a better conference. I'm no football expert (barely watch it) but if two teams play each other and one loses, it doesn't matter which conference is better, the loser still lost!  And you cannot get good sweet corn anywhere down here.

Anyway, that's just what I can think of on the spot. Nothing major that can't be overlooked or laughed off. Granted, I have only lived in Iowa, Indiana, West Virginia (is that south or just redneck?) and South Carolina, so my southern experience is probably a little skewed.

I will say, the weather is great and the beaches and vacation spots are much closer. And love discovering amazing southern food - I had collard greens for the first time at Thanksgiving. Those things are seriously YUM! But not grits, still haven't had any grits I've liked... know any good recipes? Oh, and I love cheerwine as well.

• Cozy- Let me enlighten you about college football in a southern state.  It is a form of religion. Seriously on game days stadiums become bigger than the town they are located in.  RVs arrive around Wed/Thurs and it is all about the football, food and drinks.  I will say that growing up in the shadow of Willimas Brice there is nothing like game day in the south for me.  H and I have a mixed marriage.  He is a UGA and I am a USC fan (in the south that is University of South Carolina not the other one HAA!) They are in the same conference thank goodness however we don't talk one day out of the year.   

There are four different seasons:
     1. Recruiting season (ends with National Singing Day- which is tomorrow by the way and I will be keeping track of who is going where)
     2. Spring Ball (April when most spring games are and that is the end of practice time and you see what you have going into the the summer/fall)
     3. Fall Ball (begins in August and is practice for the upcoming season and of course
    4.The Season-no need to explain

I am one of those that the conference does mean something.  A team from the SEC has won the championship the last five years: Bama, Auburn, Bama, UF and LSU so that is the reason the conference means something.  The SEC was very successful in the bowl seaon this year with the exception of UGA (which hurts my H's heart).  So in most southern states (home to the SEC ) it is all about the conference's dominance.  Right, wrong or in different that is just the way it is.  Oh and the ACC (the other conference in the southern states is a total basketball conference). Maybe that will help you see that it is all about the conference. 

As far as NASCAR- I lived in IN for three years and they have a huge NASCAR fan base.  The Brickyard was always very big and of course this is INDY car but don't forget about the INDY 500 which I heard about all of the time when I lived there. 

Hope that helps. HAAA as it is all about the SEC!!!! Laughing
  • Thanks! I'm not a big sports fan, so that was helpful. I don't really follow "my team" except when the bowl announcements come up and then I usually ask my brother how we did. (We lost this year, but it happens.) Can you have two teams, as long as they are in totally different conferences? I don't want to give up on my Big Ten team, but feel like I need a SEC team now that I've been shown the light.

Yeah, I guess racing is in the Midwest quite a bit because of Indiana, but until I moved to SC, I knew 3 NASCAR fans (two were married and she only followed it cause he did). Maybe it was just the circles I hung in that didn't follow NASCAR.
  • HAA I am glad that I can help.  As a southern girl you either learn to love football are you were left with no date on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.  HAAAA

No worries!  You see I have five teams really.  They are USC (the real one in Cola), Iowa (my grandfather went to school there and was a huge supporter), Bama (RTR), UGA (just for H no other reason) and anyone that plays Clem-suck (I HATE them with a passion.  I mean full on HATE them that I never want them to win a game...ever HAAA).  Now when USC plays one of the other SEC teams I mentioned I will always pull for USC.  I am a gamecock all of the way as that point.  Really H and I don't talk one Saturday out of the year because USC and UGA always play.  They are in the SEC East.  This year USC and Bama are playing so that is going to be a rough weekend for me but will pull for The Old Ball Coach and the Gamecocks. Oh and few years ago Iowa played USC and hande them their butts and while I was upset for USC I was happy for Iowa.   

I can say that I don't have any friends that are super into NASCAR.  In college I did go to Darlington and Lowes just because they were close but was not a NASCAR fan.  I don't watch it on Sundays or really keep up with.  I think it is one of those you have to be at the race to really fully enjoy it but again I don't care if I ever go to another one. HAAA
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:9ab44154-5df8-43ac-88bb-4246a67f11c4">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]HAA I am glad that I can help.  As a southern girl you either learn to love football are you were left with no date on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.  HAAAA No worries!  You see I have five teams really.  They are USC (the real one in Cola), Iowa (my grandfather went to school there and was a huge supporter), Bama (RTR), UGA (just for H no other reason) and anyone that plays Clem-suck (I HATE them with a passion.  I mean full on HATE them that I never want them to win a game...ever HAAA).  Now when USC plays one of the other SEC teams I mentioned I will always pull for USC.  I am a gamecock all of the way as that point.  Really H and I don't talk one Saturday out of the year because USC and UGA always play.  They are in the SEC East.  This year USC and Bama are playing so that is going to be a rough weekend for me but will pull for The Old Ball Coach and the Gamecocks. <strong>Oh and few years ago Iowa played USC and hande them their butts and while I was upset for USC I was happy for Iowa.</strong>    I can say that I don't have any friends that are super into NASCAR.  In college I did go to Darlington and Lowes just because they were close but was not a NASCAR fan.  I don't watch it on Sundays or really keep up with.  I think it is one of those you have to be at the race to really fully enjoy it but again I don't care if I ever go to another one. HAAA
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

That's the game I was referring to! I was new to SC and my team is Iowa, so everyone down here was giving me crap about how SC was going to kill the Hawkeyes. After the fact, they all made excuses and said it didn't matter cause SC was obviously better since they were in the SEC and Iowa was only Big Ten.

YAY! I was going to pick USC for my second team - so our top two are the same, just swapped! (I'm such a dork - I just pick teams at random like that. Except baseball. In my family, there is no team other than the Cubs. They may lose every single game of the season, but we still cheer for them.)
  • Good choice.  I can't stand the other team in this state.  HAAAAAA

Don't worry.  I chose my NFL teams like that.  I am not a fan of pro football. HAA I know strange.  Any way I like the Saints (well just because I love the city of New Orleans.  It is really one of the best cities on the planet.  HAA) and Tampa Bay (how could you not like them they have a pirate ship in thier stadium and that is cool).  HAA

• My NFL team is the Houston Texans - had an ex-BF tell me I had to pick a team or he would pick one for me. He picked the Texans cause it was their first year as a team. He was a Dallas fan and thought it would be funny. Well, the very first game the Texans played was against Dallas and, yup, Houston won! (I was going to pick the Bears, they are grown up Cubs and from the same city even! But he told me that was a dumb reason to pick a team.)
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    I have laughed at all these different language/cultural differences. I have lived all over the country growing up: NY.OH.NC.OK.TX,  And traveled ALLLL over the country doing dog shows…And it is so funny to remember the differences in the states.  I honestly thought Oklahoma was a huge football state, I mean people plan weddings/babies around football season; until I went into SEC territory, those suckers are serious… I went to  Louisiana for a dog show  in 2006 and had some randos follow me to my destination  JUST to yell at me and tell me how much OU sucked (I had a University of Oklahoma sticker on my car/ OK plates) and remind me of the LSU/OU Sugar bowl back in 2004.  It was very traumatic. Please, tell me that isn’t the norm for SEC fans, because I feel terrible that 6 years later that this is how I imagine all SEC fans to be. ( ETA I say SEC fans because they were not specifically LSU fans, they mentioned that LSU wasn't even the best team in the conference.)

Stepping outside the realms of footbal.. Oklahoma people are a little on the weird side: It isn’t strange to go storm chasing during a massive tornado outbreak, in fact when the tornado sirens go off you go outside to see if you can see the wall cloud/funnel cloud.  Reckon’, Ya’ll,  and Fixin’ are used on a regular basis.  I kid you not; I saw a wedding where the colors were Camouflage and Bright Orange.  People judge you by the type of tractor you own.. John Deere Vs Ford… and if you don’t own one, well you are city folk. AND  Don’t let the similar names fool you, Chicken Fried Chicken and Fried Chicken are totally different.   
    Photobucket
  • Haha.. Cozy! I think Crown explained the SEC thing pretty well, but since I'm a pretty huge SEC football fan myself I felt the need to elaborate!  SEC territory is also one of the most heavily recruited from areas in the country..  SEC teams generally are placed pretty high up in the polls.  Also, like Crown pointed out the last 5 BCS Champ winners have been SEC teams.  It is practically a religion down here.  People take it so seriously (myself included!), and the rivalries are so intense! I guess it all boils down to how traditional the south is.. it's all about traditions down here.

What you said about Sweet tea hurt my heart, but I won't hold it against you!! Also, what kind of recipes would you like?
    Photobucket
  • Sami- on Saturdays I attend College Game Day with the leaders of Herbie, Corso and Fowler. Then of course if I need more there is always Davis, Holtz and Mae to make sure the "teaching" has set in. True story - One of the first pictures I saw a picture of H at Sandford Stadium and "UGA fan and here I thought you had good taste. I won't hold that against you." he said at that minute he knew I was the person for him despite my questionable decision of being a USC fan. Haaaa
  • Amanda - we do the storm thing in Iowa too. Two weeks before I went to basic I was at a friends house and the sirens went off. We grabbed a couple beers and watched from our deck out back. The tornado touched down about 20 miles from us and then disappeared.

Recipes - My daughter likes grits, she eats them at daycare. Since I haven't had any I like, she only gets them at daycare. Any good grits recipes would be awesome. And greens- never made them, but the ones I had were a little spicy and so yummy. Oh, and what's the secret to awesome fried chicken? Also, I guess it's more of a Louisiana thing (maybe), but I've always wanted to make gumbo. I'm a big fan of Paula Deen recipes. I actually made my Thanksgiving dinner using mostly her recipes, but I've found old family recipes tend to be so much better.

Sorry I hurt your heart with my tea comment. If it's any consulation, I have tried to make sweet tea for my friends when we have cookouts and they said I suck at it. It's either too sweet or not sweet enough. I have been told I'm too much of a Yankee to make it right.
  • Haha.. It's true, family recipes do have tons of butter cause we think butter=flavor (which in some/most cases is true..).  Have you ever had Shrimp & Grits?  That's my favorite grits recipe.. soo yummy.  Though I will also eat them with butter, with sugar, with bacon and red eye gravy, with cheese.. Yumm. I'm drooling right now just thinking about it!!  I think the secret to grits is the get them creamy not "gritty" in texture., and to realize that on their own.. they're plain and boring and kind of gross.  They are the perfect vessel for fixin's though! Think of them like pasta.. it's not great on it's own, but through some sauce, meat & or veggies in there and it's super tasty right?! Same with grits! Here's some recipes for Shrimp & Grits that I love:
    Clicky
    Clicky
    Clicky
    and Paula's Grits: Clicky

As for greens... I like mine with lots of bacon/ham.  I usually put mine in the crock pot with a ham bone and let them cook all day.  I hate cooking greens cause they stink up the whole house though.  Some people like them with vinegar (I am not one of those people).. Here's a spicy recipe for those: Clicky

As for Sweet Tea.. I have my own recipe and I don't normally share it.. If you want it I'll give it to you though!  I'm pretty sure I had sweet tea in my bottles when I was a baby.. It's like crack it's so addictive.. Mmmm I love it!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:fa4e9347-a789-40e4-aeb4-4636fd082461">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha.. It's true, family recipes do have tons of butter cause we think butter=flavor (which in some/most cases is true..).  Have you ever had Shrimp & Grits?  That's my favorite grits recipe.. soo yummy.  Though I will also eat them with butter, with sugar, with bacon and red eye gravy, with cheese.. Yumm. I'm drooling right now just thinking about it!!  I think the secret to grits is the get them creamy not "gritty" in texture., and to realize that on their own.. they're plain and boring and kind of gross.  They are the perfect vessel for fixin's though! Think of them like pasta.. it's not great on it's own, but through some sauce, meat & or veggies in there and it's super tasty right?! Same with grits! Here's some recipes for Shrimp & Grits that I love: Clicky Clicky Clicky and Paula's Grits: Clicky As for greens... I like mine with lots of bacon/ham.  I usually put mine in the crock pot with a ham bone and let them cook all day.  I hate cooking greens cause they stink up the whole house though.  Some people like them with vinegar (I am not one of those people).. Here's a spicy recipe for those: Clicky .  As for Sweet Tea.. I have my own recipe and I don't normally share it.. If you want it I'll give it to you though!  I'm pretty sure I had sweet tea in my bottles when I was a baby.. It's like crack it's so addictive.. Mmmm I love it!
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

I tried to highlight the last part but yeah it is total crack.  I guess that is why I love the sweet tea vodka as well.  I have a pretty good recipe for sweet tea as well.  I like Sami don't give that out very often however if you want it let me know.  It was my Nana's sweet tea.  YUMMY!
  • Mmmm! I'm going to be trying some of those shrimp and grits later this week. Wish me luck! And thanks, but I think I'm ok without a sweet tea recipe - everyone pretty much know by now to bring their own sweet tea and beer if they come to my house for dinner. (I don't drink beer, so I never have any on hand.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards