Snarky Brides

Good bye, wedding dress

I did it. I donated my dress to Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. I was a little sad and teared up as I walked out of David's Bridal (I had them ship it) but I'm so glad that my dress is going to do something good for someone else and possibly save a life. Not to mention, some other bride will look beautiful in it an have a wonderful wedding day.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS

Re: Good bye, wedding dress

• That's really generous of you. It's completely understandable to me that you'd feel sad. I find myself growing attached to inanimate objects a lot. But it's an awesome thing to do for someone who needs it.
  • hey! More info? Did it have to be cleaned before you donated? Will DB ship it for free?

I have no idea what to do with my dress, but I know I have no need for it ever again.
  • That was really sweet of you.  I'm sure the person who gets it will cherish it.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Way to go, Brooke!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Deduct that from your taxes, yo.
  • Great job!

I bought my dress from them, and plan on donating it back once I get it cleaned.  I think it's a great organization. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-bye-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c9dc3680-3beb-456b-9ffa-d0690359ca10Post:7430fabd-0c00-416f-b9c2-dded47d6d0d2">Re: Good bye, wedding dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]hey! More info? Did it have to be cleaned before you donated? Will DB ship it for free? I have no idea what to do with my dress, but I know I have no need for it ever again.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

No, didn't clean it. They ask for a $40 processing fee for every dress, and part of that goes to cleaning and for transportation of dresses to events. <a href="http://www.makingmemories.org" rel="nofollow">www.makingmemories.org</a>

DH didn't ship for free, but they were cheaper than what UPS would have been ($15)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-bye-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c9dc3680-3beb-456b-9ffa-d0690359ca10Post:b3a6dcab-1d23-4c99-b50d-ef19d388652c">Re: Good bye, wedding dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Deduct that from your taxes, yo.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Will do. Although I don't think it's put me over the standard deduction.
  • Good for you! :) I saw your FB update and I think I may do this. You inspire me!
  • Aww that is so wonderful! I would be terribly sad to give my dress up but what a fantastic cause. You've made at least one other woman very, very happy!
  • I am doing the same thing (The Brides' Project) and donating it but I can't seem to part with it yet. Mainly because I want to do a TTD (not literally trash) but also because I am apparently way more attached to it than I thought I would be. None the less, I have no purpose for it after a TTD so it will be given away for cancer $$!
  • What a great idea!  That's so kind of you, Brooke! 

Donating clothes makes me happy, because I think about all the good times I had in that shirt/skirt/pants and it makes me glad that someone else will have that, too.  Did I mention I'm a sap?
  • What a lovely thing to do Brooke!

i don't think I could do it.  i'm too sentimental.  I'm having mine made into a christening gown, bonnet, and blanket.
  • Thats super sweet of you to do. I'm kinda like Anna though- sentimental.. I've always loved the idea of the christening gown from the dress.
  • I have two and I'm thinking about donating the first one, I won't wear it anyway and it's brand new.
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love it. That was so awesome of you!!
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_good-bye-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c9dc3680-3beb-456b-9ffa-d0690359ca10Post:84d2f6a5-9f90-41c4-aae3-43414f1a2950">Re: Good bye, wedding dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thats super sweet of you to do. I'm kinda like Anna though- sentimental.. I've always loved the idea of the christening gown from the dress.
    Posted by staceytaylor0704[/QUOTE]

Me too. And it's sort of the same in a way. You're recycling the dress into something else instead of just having it hanging in the closet for years.
  • Thats an awesome idea.. I think i will do this after my wedding
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't think I'd be sentimental either. I'm not usually attached to "things," even though this is one of the most special things I've owned. I considered having it made into something else, but we're not religious (so a christening gown is out). I looked into having a small strip taken off the end of the train to keep for a possible future bouquet ribbon, but it would have been pretty costly. I decided to just take it and ship it before I changed my mind.
  • I did this too. I wish I had known David's would ship it because I paid around $20.00 to ship mine.

I think it is not only for a good cause, but the cost of cleaning and preserving the dress can be up to a few hundred dollars and what for? So you can take it out and look at it every year or two? So far as the "daughter wearing it" thing, I have known that to happen exactly once in the many weddings I have attended. The dress was an silk satin 1940's classic that looked like something Rita Hayworth would have worn in "Gilda" if it had been in black instead of white - not your everyday vintage dress!

So, I think donating your dress is a very practical thing to do if you can part with it.
  • Oh, I could do this with the two extra dresses I have. I hadn't thought of donating, since I can't seem sell them.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards