Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Walking me down the aisle

Hi all,
My dad passed away five years ago so I'm planning to walk down the aisle on my own. My mom is still with me and we have a good relationship, my brother is still with me and we have a good relationship. Is it rude or hurtful for me to not ask either of them to walk me? I am not sure why I'd prefer to walk by myself- it just feels right to me. I don't want to be rude or hurtful though. Will guests be wondering why I didn't ask my Mom or brother or will most people just not even think about it?

Re: Walking me down the aisle

• Options
    If you prefer to walk by yourself than that is perfectly fine. You do not have to walk with anyone if you do not want to. If you did want to walk with someone you can choose whom ever you like. Whether it be your brother, an uncle, a best friend, your mother...
  • Options
    samiamagirlsamiamagirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    You do what YOU feel is right, or what you think your father would have wanted.

I'm in a very similar situation as my father passed away a year ago and I'm getting married in October.  His one request was that my brother walk me down the aisle, so to honor him I'm doing just that.  There were some arguments and guilt trips from my mother because she had other ideas of who would walk me down the aisle but I stuck to my guns because it was what my father wanted and that's what's most important to me.

Don't worry about what anyone else will think, it's your wedding.  If your father was the only one you wanted walking you down the aisle, than I think it's perfectly acceptable for you to go down the aisle yourself.
  • Options
    THe only way to know if they would be offended would be to ask them. I am assuming that if you are close enough to your mom you are worried about it, that you are close enough that you could have a conversation about your plans before the wedding happens. You don't have to automatically give her a say but maybe just be like "hey so since Dad isnt here I was planning on walking by myself, do you think guests might find it strange?" so that you can hear her opinion on it and also judge by her recation if she thinks it would be offensive without having to say "hey mom would you be offended if I didn ask you" because that would imply that you will walk with her if shes offended...

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    what about the idea of honering you father leave and empty chair on the front row carry a boutineer (sp?) do place it on thwn te aisle with you while you walk by yourself ande chair . kind of a just because he isnt walking with you in person dosent mean he wasnt with you every step of the way in spirit . and its obvious enough to guests what you did why and its a toucing moment and it is less likely to upset anyone
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sorry keyboard messed that up badly . it is supose to say carry a boutineer (sp?) with you while you walk alone down the aisle. leave an empty seat at the front for you to place the boutineer on to honor your father who couldnt be with you in person but walked with you every step in spirit
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My best friend is walking herself as her father passed a couple years ago. I am having a surprise gift for her of a hankie embroderded in remembrance of him. I'm getting one for her mother as well. 
    Vacation Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_walking-me-down-the-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:55a8972b-d63d-44a5-b41f-f555c739563ePost:dfe93cbd-c7b2-4e63-887b-43d6dc04734c">Re: Walking me down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend is walking herself as her father passed a couple years ago. I am having a surprise gift for her of a hankie embroderded in remembrance of him. I'm getting one for her mother as well. 
    Posted by DanniLynn88[/QUOTE]

You are a great friend! I would find that very touching. I always appreciate when my friends help me to remember my dad.
  • Options
    my cousin had the same situation... she told them she wanted to walk by herself because she knew her dad would be walking her down the aisle in spirit.

My other cousin had her brother do it and when asked who gives this bride away he said "in honor of our father, i do" it made everyone cry...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards