Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Did you drop hints?

This is just out of pure curiosity, and I'm posting it here because you all post the fastest and I like you best! :)

Did you FI / DH know anything about your dress? I've seen on TV were some FIs help pick it out. Or was it a complete surprise?

The reason I ask is because while sitting around the other night FI was playing with my shoulders ( I had on a tank top and he was sliding the strap on and off) he suddenly looked up and said, "I have one request. I want your dress to be strapless."  This is kind of funny because the one thing I thought I wanted on my dress was some type of straps. I haven't tried anything on yet, but it was just funny and so random.

So did your FI have any requests for your attire or did he maybe go shopping with you. Like I said before, I'm just nosy!
Next to being married, a girl likes being crossed now and then. - Jane Austen

Re: Did you drop hints?

• Options
    I didn't take J shopping with me, but I did show him pictures online and from magazines.  When I went to try on dresses, I did his likes/dislikes into consideration (which wasn't hard since we shared a lot of them) but in the end I chose the dress that I liked best.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    He went shopping with me.  I chose the dress I wanted, and it happened to be one of his two favorites.  We have similar tastes so it wasn't surprising.
  • Options

He had no requests.  He knew that my dress had pewter embroidery because we tried to match his tux to the embroidery in my dress, but it didn't end up working, but other than that he didn't know anything.  Oh, I think I did tell him it was strapless.  He didn't really care much about it, other than that I choose something I felt comfortable and beautiful in.

• Options
    Nope. He wants to be surprised on the big day. He does know that it has a lace-up back, and it's strapless.
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My ex- and I looked through a lot of magazines together when we first got engaged and we both picked out dress styles we liked. He didn't want me to get a strapless dress -- having seen far too many brides half falling out of their dresses or spending half the night yanking it up. I took that into consideration but did end up getting a strapless and I let him know that. I'm not sure that he was thrilled originally, but I promised it fit like a glove and I know he loved it when he saw me in it. 

When DH and I got married, I gave him a vague idea of what the dress looked like because we were having a very small wedding and I could have gone in any direction in terms of formality. So I let him know that I got a gown, but it wasn't a wedding gown, so he could dress at a similar level of formality.
  • Options
    FI will be totally suprised on my gown.  But before I picked out dresses he knew the things I was looking for- corset back- strapless-train-no lace.

My real dress currently is long sleeves (these will be taken off in alterations to make it strapless)- a small train- zipup back (i couldnt get a corset put into this dress :( ) and its lace overlay.

I don't want him to know anything about it b/c he wants to be surpised.  He didn't really ask for anything either.
  • Options
    My FI knows that I know that he loves corsets, and so I wanted and got a corset back. So he knows about that. And he knows it's a princess ball gown. But I don't want him to see it, because I want to see the look on his face when he sees it for the first time at the wedding. 

And he is totally on board with it being a surprise. He didn't even want to open a closet that had my petticoat in it to get my reusable shopping bags. He's adorable like that. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My FI doesn't know anything about the dress except how good of a deal I got on it. He doesn't want to know anything else, but I probably would have told him if he was really curious.
  • Options
    H didn't want to know anything about the dress before hand.  He knew I paid $500 for it.  And he always teases me about being a prude (I don't wear shorts - as a rule, I think I own 1 pair) and I'm usually cold so I'm usually in sleeves except in the hottest part of summer - so he commented that I "probably found the only dress in the place with long sleeves and a turtleneck".  So the whole time after I had my dress I teased him about my "turtlenecked wedding dress".  
    He loved the real thing :)
  • Options
    Loopy- how I would LOVE a turtleneck wedding dress!
    I think my fiance knows this and has been pretty direct with me. If i'm looking at pictures of dresses, he tells me which ones he likes and which ones he doesn't like. He asked me if I can buy a strapless dress, which I was not planning to buy. I haven't gotten anything yet, but I will keep FI's requests in mind when I do go dress shopping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ha.  I had the furthest thing from a turtleneck dress and I absolutely loved it.. but I sure enjoyed teasing him about it :).

• Options
    I told H it was light blue, strapless, and knee-length. He knew the exact color because we matched his vest and tie to the dress.  I also showed him the pendant I got to put on the waist part, but that was it. He didn't see the actual dress until I walked down the aisle.
  • Options
    Nope and he didn't make any requests to see, if anything he didn't want to see it until I walked down the aisle. I was so excited about it that I told him some things about it before the wedding, but he trusted my judgement and he knew what my style was so I knew he would love it, and he did.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I accidently dropped one hint.  FI and I were dancing and he randomly says:  ''I can't wait to dance  with you at the wedding!''  I replied:''Me too!  But I think it's going to be hard and I'll have to be 3 feet away from you!''.  OOPS moment.  He just looked at me stunned and said: ''Stop talking or I'm going to find out too many things about your dress''.  Besides that he has no idea.  He's been trying to find out but to no avail. 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nope.   I do not think he even asked about it either.

I guess I did a good job, he teared up when he saw me for the first time. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    He didn't really tell me anything, but I know he's a boob man, so I picked one with cleavage. I did show him pictures online (on the model) of the ones I tried on. He and everyone else loved it in the end. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The first time I went to try on dresses I showed FI the pictures. I told him which dress was my favorite and he liked it. When I went back a second time indending to buiy fav dress from time #1 I tried on others and ended up purchasing a different dress.

FI has no idea what this dress looks like and he doesn't want to know.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Originally my H did not want to know anything.  We had planned a big ballroom wedding so I ordered a big ball gown.  Then a month later he decided he wanted to change his mind and get married on the beach in Hawaii.  I informed him that my dress would not work for that kind of wedding.  I told him it was a big ball gown and that was all he knew.  He literally leaned over during the wedding to tell me that I was right, my dress would not have worked in Hawaii.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Nope. He didn't want to see it and I didn't want him to see it either. We were pretty traditional in that respect.
  • Options
    My FI knows nothing about my dress except that it is somewhere between white and ivory. We have been super traditional about the wedding, and he really doesn't want to know. He likes the idea of the surprise too. The only reason he knows it's not super white is because when we went to look at tuxedos, and were looking at shirts, I didn't want him to have a white shirt because it would make my dress look yellow.
  • Options
    Huh, guess I'm weird here. H went with me to pick it out. He knows me better than anyone in the world and he coudl be honest with me. Everyone else just said they loved everything I put on. He told me if it made me look less than flattering, or if I looked like a cupcake. There was one he liked slightly better, but I went with the one I loved in the end.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    It was a surprise to him! 

I told him it was purple.  He said, "That's cool, that's your favorite color!"

He did get funny once when I was watching SYTTD.  He walked through the room and said "That dress is hideous!"  and then he got the terrified look on his face.  He was afraid that maybe I had picked out a similar dress and my feelings might be hurt :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. He had absolutely zero input on my dress. 

I probably would have been weirded out if he told me that he wanted me in a strapless dress or whatever. I'm not my husband's Barbie doll.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    i would tell him if he wanted to know, but he wants it to be a surprise - and he didn't give me any preferences.  if he did tell me what he wanted, i would only keep it in mind if i felt the same way - because after all, i'll be the one wearing it. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    No.  He didn't want to know.  After I bought the dress, H said "I hope it's strapless," but that was his only comment.  He first saw the dress when I was walking down the aisle, and for the next few days, he kept saying "that is the prettiest dress" and "you looked so good in that dress."  
  • Options
    I told him it's white and crotchless.

got that off of some advice column where the guy was freaking out cuz he thought his FI had gotten some horribly scandalous dress and so wrote in to the advice columnist asking her how to broach the subject of his Fi's slutty dress to her and convince her to let him approve before his conservative family saw her in it. The advice columnist had a good laugh and then very nicely explained that all dresses are crotchless.

=)
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options

i 'accidentally' showed him a video!

i refused to buy a dress i couldn't zip up, so passed on my dream dress (stupid sample sizes!)

i rushed home after my appointment and said "look what i tried on!"  he agreed it was gorgeous.

a month later the shop called to say they ordered my size and they'll give it to me at sample cost!  bought it on the spot!

needless to say, i don't think my FI could pick out my dress in a lineup even if it meant life or death!

Anniversary
  • Options
    My FI knows nothing about it. I haven't shown him any pics, he didn't come with me, he has no idea even what kind of dress I like.

Whatever each couple likes is completely up to them and I respect that. But running a dress by my FI to get his approval or see if he likes it is right up there with asking my FI how I should get my haircut or not wearing a certain lipstick if he doesn't like it. Sorry, but it's my money and my appearance. He doesn't get to tell me how to dress or how to wear my hair.

Rant over.

Vacation
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010

He had an idea of what it was going to look like, just because he knows my taste in dresses in general and was able to guess what I'd pick. But he didn't make requests or anything like that-since before we got engaged, he actually always got annoyed at the idea of men having "input" on anything relating to the dress aside from the price.

He's said this a few times: "dresses fall into the category of 'girly crap', and men have no business meddling with girly crap".

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Nope.  He knew nothing about it and never asked or gave any requests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards