Louisiana-Baton Rouge

$10k budget plantation wedding & catered reception in BR area?

I originally thought that having a $10,000 budget wedding would well cover what I would want for a wedding...but then I looked into costs of a plantation wedding with catering and bar packages for 150 guests, and I've quickly used up a significant chunk of my dough (which, by the way, will have to be financed through a loan...anyone else going this route when family members aren't able to provide support?)

Ridgecrest of the Myrtles Plantation appears to be the most economical at $1,687 to rent the venue for the wedding/reception, and then maybe Bayou Bistro for catering/bar at $4,953 (hopefully I have the gratuity and taxes correct). If I go this route, I've already spent $6,640. I was quoted $20 PP for food and $6 for drinks. Perhaps this is the cheapest route?

The White Oak Plantation is around $7,750 I believe.

The Magnolia Plantation is around $7,900 and includes a DJ?

Greenwood Plantation is $3,750 for the venue plus catering at around $4,953. That totals around $8,703.

The Victorian of the Felicianas is $3,300 just for the venue, plus catering costs.

Mt. Hope Plantation and Lake House Reception Center is $650 for the ceremony, $500 for the DJ, and $6,572 for catering/bar...for a total of $7,722.

The Gatehouse for ceremony and reception is around $7,600

Southern Oaks, Oak Alley, Nottoway...notta-in-my-budget :(

What other venue options am I missing?

Then there's photography. Of course Bray Danielle does amazing work, but now we're looking at a base of $2,000 and nothing is even printed!

If I entertain a plantation-style wedding, catering and drinks at the reception, and contemporary photography...I've already spent about $9,000! Help!!!! How does anyone pull this off at a reasonable price?

Re: $10k budget plantation wedding & catered reception in BR area?

• momtobrimomtobri member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using a photographer in the Hammond area (she does travel to Baton Rouge) that has taken my daughters pictures for several years.  She is very inexpensive and one of the cheapest packages comes with an album from the engagement shoot, bridal shoot, and wedding.  All of her packages include an engagement session, bridal session, wedding, and a credit for prints after everything is done.  Let me know if you are interested in the info.  I think the package I am getting is $1700 and that includes everything listed above and more!
  • SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do not really have any venue advice. My venue is Lake House and it's right at $5,000 for ceremony, DJ, reception, and food for 100 people.

How about trying to narrow your guest list? Maybe have a smaller wedding now and have a vow renewal in a few years?

I am not trying to offend you with what I'm about to say, so please do NOT take it that way. I am just going to explain my opinion with financing a wedding. I do not think you should get a loan for a one day party. I think that going into marriage with debt that doesn't have to be there is silly. I think that if you can't afford it, then don't do it. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having a small backyard wedding with a cake and punch reception. I highly recommend you do not get a loan. I didn't even know places would give loans for a wedding (btw, how are you planning to get the loan?). Why not try to save (if you really want this plantation wedding) for a little while and then have a big wedding? Another way to cut back is to not serve alcohol. I know alcohol is important to some people, but it really isn't necessary.

I can recommend my photographer. She is a cheaper photographer (compared to some others in Louisiana), and she takes quality photos. Her website is www.glimpsesbyjodi.com
    She has 3 packages. Prices and galleries are on her website.
  • edited December 2011
    Momtobri...yes I'd love that photographer contact info. Thanks!

SE+MB, I appreciate your advice. I will definitely look into the Lake House. I'm quite sure we can cut our list down, and since I'm in Arkansas, many of my guests probably won't make it anyway. The food is what's sucking most of the expenses. I know a loan isn't the most practical, but I have gotten loans very easily for teacher exchanges abroad and I know my lender would approve this as well. I've been with my fiance for nearly 3 years and haven't saved up for a wedding because I thought my parents were helping. Now that it's time to plan, it all falls on me. Lots to consider, though. Thanks for your input!
  • edited December 2011

You say "BR area," but some of the plantations you've mentioned are pretty far outside BR.  How far outside BR are you willing to go?  I seem to remember Destrehan Plantation being more reasonable, though I can't remember the exact price quote I got as it was several years ago now (and I ended up deciding that was too far for us).  There's also Ormond Plantation, just a mile or so up river.  If you're willing to look just over an hour out of BR, you might want to consider them.

FWIW, I'm also in agreement with the PP about financing a wedding.  It's a single day, and IMO it's not worth going into debt for.  We spent $8,000 on our wedding, because that was what we could afford (and like you, we paid for it ourselves).  Sure, it wasn't the fanciest wedding ever.  We married in our church and had a reception in the church hall.  But we got married, and the people we loved were there to celebrate with us.  That's what's important.

Good luck.

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm willing to go an hour outside of BR because my family has to travel 10 hours anyway from Northwest Arkansas. I've looked into New Orleans and St. Francisville, too. I think I can cut the guest list down to 100 and save a significant chunk. I'll check those other Plantations, too. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • kfurnikfurni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Magnolia Mound on Nicholson near LSU?  It's onwned by BREC so very reasonable with prices.  Everything is do-it-yourself, so they only charge you a small fee for rental, then you provide catering and everything.  It's very pretty, rustic, true Louisiana style.  I'm in the same boat as you and am leaning towards this place!  good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    My photographer is great and she lives in Livingston. Her name is terri kaye and her website is http://www.photosbytk.com wedding and reception for i think almost 6 hrs was $500 and bridals were 100...
  • edited December 2011
    We are planning our July wedding and also paying for it ourselves. We looked at alot of places and decided on the Abita Quail Farm in Abita Springs. The charge to get married there is 650.00 and we are having a reception there for 50$ a head. the venue cost will be aound 5500.00. this is for close to 100 guests, all food, pass hors, carving station, crepe station, full premium open bar, the list goes on and on. We're trying to do the budget thing as well and this was by far the best deal we looked at. Hope this helps and good luck
  • lorilea25lorilea25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Crystal Abadie photography. She works out of Texas and Baton Rouge.  I met with her a few months ago and her work is fantastic! I chose the $1200 package which includes 4-5 hours of photography, an engraved photo book with a 4x6  of every photo,  a CD of your photos and the best of all you receive the rights to your photos. She is so personable and does great work!  I recommend you check her out!
  • Tann373Tann373 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi We are both paying for our wedding also and my mom is putting a little in. Our budget is also $10,000 but we started at like $6,000 We decided to go with Forrest Grove Plantation in Denhem Springs(a couple of miles out of BR) which is very nice and I found very reasonable than some others. Also I love my photographer. They both do very nice pictures and their cheapest package is $995. They are Debby Williams Photography and their website is debbiewilliamsphotography.com 
    Hope this helps as well!
  • edited December 2011
    I also used Debbie Williams Photography. I have many pro photos on my wedding website- just click the link in my signature. They did a beautiful job and John was so much fun to work with. I got the $1,500 package, and it came with several prints, a proof book that you keep, a CD of low-res images for use on the internet, and a beautiful wedding album which I was able to help design.

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend them to any bride looking for quality photography at a reasonable price. They're wonderful photographers and just awesome people.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the Magnolia Mound suggestion. Does it offer any indoor dance floor?
  • hwilli8hwilli8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can have a great wedding for 10k - even at a plantation.  It just depends on what is important for you.  What you find most important may not be that important to another bride.  My priorities were venue & food (White Oak) and my dress.  Then you can work in the other things and cut back in other areas to keep within your budget.  It can happen - trust me!  Have fun planning!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cyndibrowncyndibrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you tell me who the photographer from Hammond is please.
    cks3/10/12
  • edited December 2011
    ok... so you say oak alley isnt in your budget. my fiance and i are planning on getting married there. how much was it if you can remember. also another venue we are looking at is houmas house plantation. any ideas on that one?? thanks for looking!
  • If you are willing to go just outside of Baton Rouge, you can find The Richmond Plantation in Baton Rouge area vendors.  I had my wedding there in September and it was magical.  They can do a 150 person wedding, including catering and an awesome dance band for $6,000.  Flowers can be arranged also for not a lot. 

Here's their FB page,and you can seen my wedding photos there as well...
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Richmond-Plantation/303950826292046?ref=tn_tnmn" rel="nofollow">http://www.facebook.com/pages/Richmond-Plantation/303950826292046?ref=tn_tnmn</a>

I also got a great photo package for $1750.  We don't have the books back yet three months later, but got the photo files right away.  That included engagements, bridals and wedding with two photogs. Hope that helps! I know it's real easy to blow the budget :-)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-baton-rouge_10k-budget-plantation-wedding-catered-reception-br-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:83Discussion:6943cd1c-fa63-47b8-a073-59ca3ceba017Post:8fb22816-469f-4104-9503-76c40d6a87e4">$10k budget plantation wedding & catered reception in BR area?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I originally thought that having a $10,000 budget wedding would well cover what I would want for a wedding...but then I looked into costs of a plantation wedding with catering and bar packages for 150 guests, and I've quickly used up a significant chunk of my dough (which, by the way, will have to be financed through a loan...anyone else going this route when family members aren't able to provide support?) Ridgecrest of the Myrtles Plantation appears to be the most economical at $1,687 to rent the venue for the wedding/reception, and then maybe Bayou Bistro for catering/bar at $4,953 (hopefully I have the gratuity and taxes correct). If I go this route, I've already spent $6,640. I was quoted $20 PP for food and $6 for drinks. Perhaps this is the cheapest route? The White Oak Plantation is around $7,750 I believe. The Magnolia Plantation is around $7,900 and includes a DJ? Greenwood Plantation is $3,750 for the venue plus catering at around $4,953. That totals around $8,703. The Victorian of the Felicianas is $3,300 just for the venue, plus catering costs. Mt. Hope Plantation and Lake House Reception Center is $650 for the ceremony, $500 for the DJ, and $6,572 for catering/bar...for a total of $7,722. The Gatehouse for ceremony and reception is around $7,600 Southern Oaks, Oak Alley, Nottoway...notta-in-my-budget :( What other venue options am I missing? Then there's photography. Of course Bray Danielle does amazing work, but now we're looking at a base of $2,000 and nothing is even printed! If I entertain a plantation-style wedding, catering and drinks at the reception, and contemporary photography...I've already spent about $9,000! Help!!!! How does anyone pull this off at a reasonable price?
    Posted by nakiashellee[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards