Second Weddings

picking an e-ring the second time is harder

I'm the kind of girl who discussed getting married the first time and this time. No surprise proposals. That does mean I got to pick my first e-ring and this e-ring. It sounds fabulously fun but it's actually kinda overwhelming. Last time we had the money to indulge in a pretty incredible dream ring. I don't want to pick something too similar and I don't want to spend as much money this time around. Me and Future Mr. are prepping to start trying to concieve and I'm a founder in a start-up so money is quite different right now. 

So I have two totally different schools of thought and am torn. 1 is sticking with my ornate tastes but mixing in lab-created stones instead of natural stones to cut cost by 2x. Both Future Mr. and I are scientists so we think lab-created stones are super cool not a sad substitute. Loose lab diamonds weren't really on the market yet before or I would have done it last time too.

Option 2 is super functional. Something indestructible like titanium with engraving or a tiny stone that I won't have to worry about hurting when I'm doing my awesome science. 

I may vote for both worlds and wear the band when I'm working/building/sciencing and the e-ring when I'm not. So many options. Having no constraints is amazing and hard.

Re: picking an e-ring the second time is harder

• I love going with something other than diamonds for an e-ring, especially for a 2nd wedding. My vote is for option #1.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'd go and try things on.  I didn't have much of an e-ring the first time around--just a band with tiny, tiny sapphires in it.  This time I've got a >2 ct with tiny diamonds on the band--white gold, in a setting that's very antique/vintage looking.    Funny thing was I thought I wanted a square cut with 2 baguettes on either side, in a platinum setting.  We went to try them on, and the square cuts didn't look right on my hand. 

Bottom line: rings are like dresses and bathing suits, you really DO need to try them on to see what looks best on you. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I think lab-created diamonds are fantastic.  I hate thinking of the mining conditions and politics behind diamonds (I didn't get to pick my ring, or else I probably would have requested conflict-free or lab-created).

Having said that, I think a completely non-traditional e-ring is a fantastic idea as well.   There are some great tungsten rings that look just like white gold or platinum but are much more durable.  You might have to get a men's ring and size it down, but it would still be awesome.  

Now you have me curious -- what kind of science do you do?  :-)  I love science!!
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_picking-an-e-ring-the-second-time-is-harder?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:361fdaf8-41ae-44cc-b36c-20cf8ecdc851Post:9fc24398-c38d-4132-adae-d94d04cd199c">Re: picking an e-ring the second time is harder</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now you have me curious -- what kind of science do you do?  :-)  I love science!!
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>:-) Bioengineering. Mostly medical device design for global health. It's part science, part engineering. I used to be more at the bench collecting data myself and now I'm more of the scientist wrangler. Fewer nitrile gloves but less repetition!</div>
  • dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    Go with what you like its going to be on your hand for the rest of your life. Though my ering will have diamonds the center stone is a 2.4 carat purple sapphire this time. Its bigger than I wanted but made FI happy (he was literally giddy at its size) so since he was ok with the setting I wanted we agreed on a stone that he liked the size of. The thing I feel really great about is the metals are predominantly recycled, my diamonds are kimberly proccessed, and my sapphire is untreated sourced ethically. I feel good knowing that though we paid a pretty penny more than I wanted my concious can be pretty clean wearing it and it wont look like everyone elses ring either we got a ring that represents us.

I actually really like the gemesis diamonds they are absolutely beautiful. They are simulated an they make really nice colored ones at a fraction of the cost. I am not a fan of the white diamond neither is FI but we are both a little odd.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

The first time around, there was no formal proposal.  We decided to get married and I designed my engagement ring (GORGEOUS!).

This time around, H had a plan and proposed, with ring in hand.  It has a complementary wedding band.  I would not have chosen them but love them nonetheless.  *sigh*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards