June 2012 Weddings

QOTD 3/12

What was the worst pain you've ever been in?  If it was from an accident, what happened?

Re: QOTD 3/12

• I've been very lucky and have never broken anything or have had any "real" surgery or been in any serious accidents.  I suppose the worst I've felt is when my wisdom teeth came out.  I had all four pulled at the same time and felt miserable for about a week.
  • I've been pretty lucky. I've never broken any bones or anything. So I think the worst pain I've experienced thus far in my life is when I stepped on a large piece of glass.
  • I've also been quite luck with no broken bones.  I think the worst pain has been the ovarian cysts I've had or having all 4 wisdom teeth out at once.
  • I had my appendix taken out when I was in third grade. I don't remember the pain well but my mom says I was not in good shape. I have cartilage damage in my right knee but that is more a nuisance then pain. I think the worst pain I have had is when I get migraines. I have two that stand out as the worse: vomiting, dizziness, in bed for a couple days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never broken a bone either. I'd have to agree with the wisdom teeth. I had four impacted and I was swollen for a week. Just as the swelling was going down, my brother decided to throw a football at my face.  I was swollen for another week.  Also when I tore the ligaments in my ankle; that was really painful!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a breast reduction about 4 years ago. That was defiantly the most pain I have ever been in. The recovering was SOO hard and painful! But now I will say it was one of the best things I have ever done.
  • Okay, really TK? I answered this already. I stepped on a piece of large glass.

I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out at once but the drugs they gave me caused me to sleep forever. I don't remember feeling anything from that but swelling.
  • Mine was the day after my moped accident. I had sprained a wrist and an ankle, and my knee wouldn't bend (found out later I had strained my IT band... it still acts up to this day).  But the overall soreness was horrible the day after because of the pulled muscles and brusing.

The accident happened on my way to work one Saturday evening.  It was raining but my moped was my only mode of transportation so I bundled up in a rain coat.  I was approaching a stop light that has a railroad track about 20 ft before it.  The truck in front of me hit with plenty of room to spare before the red light. He was slowing down at a pretty regular pace.  Then he slammed on his brakes to stop before the RR tracks... well tail lights don't go brighter when you hit them harder, so it was extremely abrupt. I swerved to miss/go around him and ended up with my moped on its side.
  • Mine is definitely when I tore most of my knee apart one day doing gymnastics.  I was doing some flips and landed poorly overextending my knee and tearing most of the tendons.  I hobbled around on mostly one leg for a few days before my mom told my dad I need to get it looked at.  He didn't believe me that I did that much damage to myself on a landing.  Surgery occured a few days later and I remember the recovery and physical therapy being terrible.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_qotd-312?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:dc2ff949-bfc9-487d-b573-d3fc659123d6Post:f7f1f18d-3f3a-41b7-9dac-82809c15dab0">Re: QOTD 3/12</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine is definitely when I tore most of my knee apart one day doing gymnastics.  I was doing some flips and landed poorly overextending my knee and tearing most of the tendons.  I hobbled around on mostly one leg for a few days before my mom told my dad I need to get it looked at.  He didn't believe me that I did that much damage to myself on a landing.  Surgery occured a few days later and I remember the recovery and physical therapy being terrible.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]
    this is right up my job alley!! what ligaments did you tear? ACL??
  • When I had patellafemoral pain syndrome in both my knees. It was a very painful 6 months. There was a point where I could barely walk and it hurt so much to walk (I actually walked out of class, collapsed on the ground and called my mom crying at one point). I went to her PT and she gave me stretching exercises to do. I went to an orthopedic surgeon a few days later and he gave me super-aspirin and told me to work up to doing 200 leg lifts on both legs. I asked if PT would help and he said no. 6 months (and very few leg lifts later) I went to an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and he said of course I should have gone to PT. it was so annoying to know that this pain could have been gone months sooner if I had gone to PT I have very tight hamstrings (which likely contributed, along with weak leg muscles), and I still have some flare-ups every now and then. But not as bad as it was the first time...
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited March 2012
    Braces were probably the longest pain, but my appendix was the sharpest/worst.

A month after I got it taken out, a guy was flirting with me and threw me over his shoulder. My staples were right against his shoulder with the rest of my body hanging off. I was screaming for him to put me down. At first he thought I was just playing, then he realized my screams were more desperate.
  • @L&amp;J, females are more prone to PF knee syndrome then guys. Thanks to the angle between our hips and knees, it puts greater stress on the knee joint. 
  • Ash want to come fix my knee and hip problems?! :)
  • Ashley, Yeah mine came about because I mildly sprained my ankle and did absolutely mothing for a month, then tried ice skating as hard as I did before I sprained my ankle. Later that night my right knee felt stiff, but I didn't think too much of it. The next morning I had a very limited range of motion (I assume there was swelling, but I never visibly swell). The other knee developed the same problem after having to compensate for the other knee (I was limping pretty badly). It was just an awful 6 months. My leg muscles were not able to handle all of that! All in all, I'm pretty broken. Knees, ankles, elbow, shoulder, wrist (my right one has been hurting for a while now and there's a funny bump... I think my tendinitis is acting up.)
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • I have never broken a bone or really ever gotten hurt, so I guess I would have to go with child birth.... which is different.... it is GOOD pain if that makes any sense. haha!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_qotd-312?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:dc2ff949-bfc9-487d-b573-d3fc659123d6Post:7fb24e49-4cfa-4e1a-b077-032096edfdd9">Re: QOTD 3/12</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 3/12 : this is right up my job alley!! what ligaments did you tear? ACL??
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]

I completely tore my ACL and had damage to my MCL and LCL.  I don't remember or not if my PCL was damaged too but I think that somehow survived the injury.
  • I fell down the subway steps and massively screwed up my back. I couldn't move for about ten minutes-I thought I was paralyzed. Once the initial shock wore off, I was able to stand and walk however sitting was awful for the first week. But the worst pain actually came from SNEEZING with that injury. Every time I sneezed it was like a giant bolt of electricity running up my spine.
  • I've never broken a bone either. I've had my wisdom teeth out but the worst part was the IV. I would probably have to say the bikini wax I got over the summer. Not kidding. She had the wax too hot, burned me, and ripped one area so much it scabbed and scarred. I was in so much pain and so pissed at the lady.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_qotd-312?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:dc2ff949-bfc9-487d-b573-d3fc659123d6Post:0df4506b-72f0-4cf7-b81d-81f35d2aa762">Re: QOTD 3/12</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ash want to come fix my knee and hip problems?! :)
    Posted by sleblanc72[/QUOTE]
    I would love to!! whats going on?
  • I had a very severe high ankle sprain playing high school basketball. It hurt so bad and recovery was horrible. Sprained ankles are no joke! Everytime I see an athlete go down on their ankle it makes me cringe...

I ended up needing surgery on it about 4 years later because of some loose cartilage in it. The worst part of that surgery was definitely the IV. Ouch.
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • Never had any major surgery or broken bones, but I had an inner ear infection that was extremely painful. Granted I normally get swimmers ear, but never an infection. My FI knew I was really hurting when I fell asleep in the truck in the middle of the Texas summer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My worst was after I had surgery to repair a torn ligament in my wrist for a combination of reasons.

The first two kinds of pain killers they gave me made me so dizzy and nauseous, but did absolutely nothing for the pain.  You would have thought I had the flu, I was so ill.

Then they thought the splint was not providing enough support, so they casted my arm, even though there was still a considerable amount of swelling.  Over a couple days, the swelling went down so much that the cast was too loose and my wrist would wiggle.

While the cast was on, my arm started getting very itchy.  They insisted that it was normal and just had me wait til my next appointment when they were going to redo the cast.  When they took the cast off, I was covered in blisters from my fingers to my elbow.  I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the tape strips where the three incisions were.

The PT that followed wasn't all that enjoyable either.  Definitely not something I want to ever go through again!
  • Definitely when I had an ovarian cyst rupture. I literally couldn't move and scared FI (then BF of only like 4 months) to death. He actually called the ambulance and they had to take me down in the stretcher because I couldn't move. My parents came to town and everything. They kept insisting that I was having a miscarriage...so rude. I kept telling them over and over again, I AM NOT PREGNANT. Ugh. Stupid EMT.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_qotd-312?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:dc2ff949-bfc9-487d-b573-d3fc659123d6Post:3e448c9e-ac0b-4760-91bb-d64af2e08ad3">Re: QOTD 3/12</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely when I had an ovarian cyst rupture. I literally couldn't move and scared FI (then BF of only like 4 months) to death. He actually called the ambulance and they had to take me down in the stretcher because I couldn't move. My parents came to town and everything.<strong> They kept insisting that I was having a miscarriage...so rude. I kept telling them over and over again, I AM NOT PREGNANT. Ugh. Stupid EMT.</strong>
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]
    I think I would have punched the EMT! That is so rude!
  • I apparently picked the wrong post lol so I'm adding it here.

I'm fairly lame..I've never broken any bones or had major surgeries other oral stuff. I guess the worst pain was when I was in 5th grade. I had major pain in my abdomen area. Like on the ground, can't move kind of stuff. They thought it was appendicitis but it wasn't. The pain went away after a day but I was really sick for 2+ weeks. They could really figure out what was wrong. The best they came up with was an 'infection of unknown origin'.
    June 16, 2012
  • Bursting ovarian cysts. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and before I was on BC about every 6 months I was convinced I had appendicitis. My mom thought I was a hypochondriac. Boy did she feel bad years later when I was diagnosed...
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hmmmm I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 15 and even though I was CRAZY about taking care of them, I got dry socket and then tonsilitis.  I was on Tylenol 3 for about 3 weeks!

Other than that, I have been really lucky so far (Knock on wood!!)

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_qotd-312?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:dc2ff949-bfc9-487d-b573-d3fc659123d6Post:cd65c60f-8f28-46fa-96c3-858bd77dcb1c">Re: QOTD 3/12</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 3/12 : I would love to!! whats going on?
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]
    Haha...nothing I can solve.  Apparently my bones are not aligned correctly, the muscle in my legs doesn't build up the way it should be and my bones are not as strong as they should be so I just deal with the pain.  However if you have any good advice for exercises or whatever that might help I'd be happy to take them!  I'm working on getting back into a workout routine because it does help ease the pain.
  • Braces were the worst for me.  Especially getting them off!  I cried the entire time.  They should have gave me some laughing gas or something... 

I would think that my wisdom teeth being taken out would be bad but I slept the entire time.  I think I slept for 3 or 4 days with the pain killers they gave me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards