Kentucky-Louisville

VENT: Wedding Costs

So I am new to the planning process, but I've talked to my fair share of vendors over the last few weeks and am finding it very hard not to get discouraged. I guess I am not used to the price shock of wedding costs yet, but I thought that our budget would go relatively far. I am finding that so many of the venues that I love have ridiculous food and beverage minimums and/or want you to use their outrageously priced in-house caterer. And so many places are already booked or are going fast for that time - I had no idea how quickly things book up! 

Anyway, just needed somewhere to vent. Thanks for listening!

EDIT: We're planning on having our wedding in May 2011. I left that part out.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: VENT: Wedding Costs

• edited December 2011
    Don't feel discouraged!  I had the same problem.  My advice is to book at a venue that lets you bring your own food or alcohol (if you prefer).  This really saves on the cost.  And, yes, normally venues book up a year in advance, but you still have some time.  Good luck!!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. . . it's scary.  FI is from Boston and he thought stuff would be a lot less here because it's smaller.  Uh, nope.  It's less, but not that much.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
    edited December 2011
    By the way. . . how far out from Louisville are you willing to go?  I know we saved a bundle by going to Georgetown instead of Lexington.  Like, $15k overall, most likely.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, it's a relief to know I'm not the only one with that problem :)  I had my heart set on the Henry Clay but they make you use their in-house caterer and it's just too expensive. It probably is a lot smarter to use a venue that doesn't care what caterer/alcohol you use - thanks for the suggestion, Karen.

Squirrly - we have 150+ people in louisville and quite a few OOT guests, so we probably need to keep it as close to there as possible. I can't believe relocating cut your budget by that much - that is so awesome!!
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. . . They wanted 5k more in Lexington for just location, food, linens, and n/a beverages than I'm paying for all that plus alcohol, DJ, morning after brunch, late night snack, etc.  Once you add those extras back in, it's HUGE.  The alcohol alone would have been more than my car.  (It's a Honda Fit, but still.)

I'm really wondering about the Melwood center for you.  I know it's farther away from the hotel than you wanted, but I bet getting a shuttle bus would cost less than what you'd save out there. 

I'm also betting there's a hidden gem that would be awesome waiting to be found.  I've got an idea what I'll do to kill time the next few days. . . Wink   (FI is out of town.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I ran into the same problem as you, FKS, because I wanted to stick to my budget, I basically asked myself what I could do without. I found a beautiful venue in the east end of town that allows you to use your own caterer. It may be too far out. It's about a 15 minute drive from Louisville, Sawyer Hayes Community Center. This is the part of the planning where you have to do some major shopping around.

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww thanks Squirrly!  I talked to Melwood at length yesterday and they were super nice.  We're definitely checking that one out.

Ladylum: I had a long conversation with Robin from Sawyer Hayes and it looks beautiful there! Unfortunately I don't think it holds more than 200 seated with a dancefloor, and I think we may need a little more room than that (depending on who can come from OOT).

P.S. RANT: FI and I are coming in town in March to check out different venues and meet with vendors.  I've been in talks with the Silver Spoon (caterer at the Henry Clay) to see what we can work out.  I just got an email back from my contact there saying they "won't have time" to meet with us when we come in town. REALLY?!  On a Thursday and Friday in March, you simply won't have time?!  Convenient that she was eager to talk to me until she found out my budget, and now she can't make time to meet with us.  I am so disgusted I don't even want to work with them now.

Anyway, thank you all for letting me vent :)  And thank you for the suggestions!  I am determined to find a nice place that will work for us and doesn't cost us an arm and a leg. I'll keep on digging!
  • edited December 2011
    May I also suggest the Old Louisville Medical Buidling.  Beautiful place and they let you bring your own alcohol/food.  They are very affordable as well.  Just google them and the website should give you some details and it is just down the street from the Henry Clay!!
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, I will give them a call. Thanks Karen!
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had forgotten the Old Louisville Medical building. My cousin had about 300+ people at her wedding and we all fit there. It was very reasonably priced as well.
  • edited December 2011
    The Louisville Water Tower is also an interesting venue on the river. Not sure how many it seats. Their list of caterer's seems to be reasonably priced. Easy drive from downtown. http://www.louisvillevisualart.org/rental.html
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Water Tower looks beautiful!  I am going to give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • edited December 2011
    Also, have you checked out the Gillespie (www.thegillespie.com)? It certainly has some historic flair like the Henry Clay, but they allow any liscensed caterer. Quiet the interesting building. I would have looked it into having my wedding there, but the space is much too large for my small gathering.
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have checked into the gillespie and I absolutely love the pictures I've seen of it! They are already booked for EVERY saturday in May and June of 2011, so that's the only deterrent, but I am certainly not ruling them out. I am making an appt. with them for the weekend we're in town so we can see it in person Smile
  • edited December 2011
    The Water Tower isn't looking that great inside these days--my friend got married there 5 years ago, and it was beautiful, but it's looking a little worn right now.  I know they are doing work on the outside this summer, but I'd ask about the inside too.

Check out 300 Spring.  It's right across the river in Jeff, and the website pictures are very deceiving, but I LOVE the inside.  It's got a wonderful feel--it's the only place I walked into (that I could afford) that I could actually picture my reception in.  They don't let you bring your own food, but they have a list of very reasonably priced caterers.
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, I will check it out!  Thanks for the info!!
  • faeriechyldfaeriechyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I checked out the Melwood and I absolutely loved it.  It was in my top 3, but we ended up going with the Frazier Museum. (I couldn't pass up the scene from the roof.)  However, the Frazier is kind of pricey, and the Melwood had a really nice catering kitchen that was impressive.

My mom had her reception at Lakeside Reflections in So. Indiana  If you don't mind a drive, their facilities were really nice and while my mom had to use their in-house caterer and bar, she said they were really reasonable.  One of my friends had her reception at The Grand in Jeffersonville, Indiana and it was really cool.  Its a renovated theater and they filled the poster marquee with giant pictures of my friend and her husband.  The inside was absolutely beautiful.  It would have been on my list if, well... she hadn't done it first. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards