Wedding Invitations & Paper

Program - kinda long

So I have been googling to try to find the perfect program online and can't seem to. I want to include on my program what will be going on for the evening as well as the ceremony. The ceremony will be short, on the beach, and the reception is a few minutes down the road. Also should I put times on the program? I will put them on here just to give y'all the run down but was not going to do them on the program, thoughts? They are just estimates of course, things happen and if I am not doing my first dance at exactly 6:52 it'll be ok, just a rough timeline. So here's what I was thinking of having, please let me know edits/suggestions and how to word it. 

"Welcome to wedding/thank you for coming/wedding party names on top."
  • 5pm - guests arrive to site. I will have cookies and tea/water/lemonade on a beach wall there
  • 5:30- ceremony start (say own vows, exchange rings, kiss, yay married!)
  • 5:45- pictures of wedding party/guests go to reception venue
  • 6:00 - open bar opens (Should I say cocktail hour even tho it's 45 mins?)
  • 6:45 announcement of wedding party
  • 6:50 announcement of bride/groom and sword arch 
  • 6:52 first dance
  • 6:55 mother/son and father/daughter dance (same song)
  • 7:00 food
  • 8:00 toasts
  • 8:10 cake cutting
  • 9:00 sky lanterns (maybe, I gotta test em once I get them to see if they really are biodegradable - Stage is already waiting on the test results! ;))
  • 9-2a dance, have fun etc.
Our singer is from 6-9 and the venue has a band starting at 9 also. 

So, I know that's a lot to put on the program and my wording is awful so any help would be appriecated! 

Re: Program - kinda long

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    None of this is included in a wedding program.  A wedding program just shows who is a part of the wedding (parents, WP, officiant) and maybe the order of events there.  Most couples also include a "thank you" of sorts.  Not a timeline of the reception.
  • I don't think the timeline is necessary for all the guests to have. This looks like a day of schedule to give to your coordinator. 

Just keep your program simple; wedding party names, family names, ceremony outline, memorial, and a thank you. 

Anniversary
  • Oh really? Hmm, well I am totally lost then lol. The lady who qouted me for them showed me a couple templates and they had like cake cutting, opening remarks, closing remarks. bouquet/garter toss (which I forgot to put in mine) so I thought that was what it was. The ceremony doesn't really have an order of service, I don't think at least so maybe I don't need them at all then? Lemme see if I can post pics of what I am talking about, maybe it's not called a program then...hmm
  • So this is the pic of what I was shown...hence my confusion. So what is this called?

Thanks for the program wording, I'm not sure what I am going to do with that yet but apprieciate it!

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_program-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:2ad0e444-444a-4c07-b1d7-9912aa87ed53Post:35c0336e-1347-4d74-acf8-3e74d05d874f">Re: Program - kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this is the pic of what I was shown...hence my confusion. So what is this called? Thanks for the program wording, I'm not sure what I am going to do with that yet but apprieciate it!
    Posted by gypsylynn2005[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know what it is but it's completely unnecessary.  You complicated things a lot by throwing in times...</div>
  • I LIKE (emphasis) that your program will be unique, and will offer other information besides the typical.  Who says a program must be this or that, may not be this or that?  It's your wedding.  In fact - feel free to really think outside the box.  How about making the programs really extraordinary and adding element/s such as:
     pop-up book
    packet of tissue for crying or confetti or rose petals for toss
    quote by a favorite author
    translation of some part of the ceremony (vows?) into another language (if appropriate for the destination or your family/s.)
    images of famous lovers and quotes from their love letters (back page)
    a time line with little graphics showing your relationship (baby pictures, college years, when you met, first date, engagement etc.)
    the importance of some element in your wedding (the cake flavor is based on a family recipe -and here's the recipe) or you choose a certain flower because it was one he gave you and the story of that date, plus a picture of that flower

Our program is going to be a little mini book, with customized calligraphy of each guest's name and so they'll have assigned seating at the ceremony with the little mini book and a chair sign with their name, seating is not 'bride's side,' 'groom's side,' but mixed up and based on the needs and personality of the guests (i.e. babies and small children with their families, back row for ease of parent caretaking) (all cousins of my fiance and myself in a row because they are all basically the same age, all our neighbors in a row, older, distant relatives in a row)

Your program could also be printed or written in a different way, such as a layer of handmade paper with a vellum overlay...there really are no 'rules' but mainly just protocol based on etiquette - so as long as you follow this protocol, i.e. listing off roles/names of all wedding party, officiant, musicians, your parents....thanking parents, thanking guests, rememberance...the REST of the content is your choice
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_program-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:2ad0e444-444a-4c07-b1d7-9912aa87ed53Post:016d584f-e62b-46bf-a733-9a07bf2a4ed9">Re: Program - kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Program - kinda long : I don't know what it is but it's completely unnecessary.  You complicated things a lot by throwing in times...
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm, I wish someone did. Blah. I just threw the times on this post to kinda give you guys the feel of the day and see if there was a suggestion like "you def wanna do toasts this time and not this time bc of this", that's all. I really wanna know what this is called now though. I am a schedule type person and I think I do like adding extra things to the program instead of creating multiple things like program, menu, etc. The schedule doesn't have to follow the time exactly, just a 'hey this is what I got planned for today thing.' Still googling and checking it all out though, it's an idea. It's kinda weird my vendor showed me this for the wedding program then right?</div>
  • It just seems like a reception program and I agree that it's pointless. Even stranger is that there are vendors listed on the bottom. 

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards