Military Brides

QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..

How about 10 thought provoking questions?

1. When was the last time you tried something new?

2. What’s a belief that you hold with which many people disagree?

3. Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

4. Which activities make you lose track of time?

5. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose?

6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

7. What do you want to be when you grow up?

8. What is your favorite thing about the upcoming season? (Fall or Holidays)

9. What's the best part of growing older?

10. What are your plans for the weekend?

Enjoy Ladies!!
Photobucket

Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..

• edited December 2011
    I tried a new recipe on Tuesday and it was Terrific!!

Umm... I'm actually pretty conservative.  Not so much that I don't think women should vote or work or anything, but as far as gender roles and stuff.. I think lots of people are generally shocked when I voice my opinions on things.

Both? Idk though, I'm a crier.  I cry at commercials, the endings of movies that I've seen 48,000 times, happy, sad or mad, I'll cry.

Pinterest, Reading, WorkingOut, TK..

5. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose?
    To Kill a Mockingbird (I think it is in most HS already though)

Charleston, SC

7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
    A Fairy Princess... but really it's between Interior Design & Teaching.

Football, Pumpkins & cozy sweaters.

Growing Smarter.. I think that some things just make sense when you're older..

It's Fall Festival here! So I'll be enjoying a funnel cake, that's for sure!! Probably buying some lame crafty things I don't need, and walking among the crowded streets with everyone else who lives here. Plus some Football action on Saturday & homework!!
    Photobucket
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami!

Love it! Thanks for posting.

1. When was the last time you tried something new? Hm. Good question. I tried a new work out video and LOVED it. Does that count? I'm pretty newly married. Does that count too??

2. What’s a belief that you hold with which many people disagree? I don't agree with organized religion.

3. Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength? Neither? I am all about crying but I don't think it shows anything. I cry and I think it feels good sometimes.

4. Which activities make you lose track of time? Saturday afternoons after I get my workout and cleaning done. Laying on the couch watching tv with H and I just am so relaxed, I nap. Also, amusement parks, visiting family in Pittsburgh

5. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose? The Catcher in the Rye. I'm obsessed. I want to name our kid Holden.

6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Seattle which is funny because I didn't want to PCS there. Now we know we'll be in georgia, I regret not having H put Seattle has his first 3 out of 5.

7. What do you want to be when you grow up? Not a teacher. I'm over it.

8. What is your favorite thing about the upcoming season? (Fall or Holidays) I love Christmas. Seriously. My parents decorate the tree so beautifully. I love Christmas so much I can hardly stand it!

9. What's the best part of growing older? Being able to choose my friends. I don't feel pressure to be friends with someone for whatever reason. If someone sucks, I have enough confidence to just move on without them. I didn't feel that in high school and college. I know who I am much more than I ever have and don't feel the need to compromise for other people.

10. What are your plans for the weekend? GOING TO PITTSBURGH TO VISIT MOM AND DAD. Can you tell I'm excited!!!! I can't wait!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I tried new tricks with my doggie yesterday :)

I'm kind of with Sami on this - I'm pretty conservative and there are just certain roles that I think certain genders should do. Other than that - and leaving the 'big' controversial debates out of it - I'm pretty much easy going and I think I have a lot of the same beliefs as some others do.
    It depends on the context - but I like to believe it's a sign of strength - that you've been strong for too long.

Horseback riding, and talking, and antiquing.

Good Question!! I honestly don't know - I'll have to think about this for a while.

I'd love to live in the france/italian countryside. I love their food, the culture, the beauty!

7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
    I honestly don't know. The only thing I do know I want to be is a mom. As far as a career - I switch on this all the time, no joke. Which is why I put a hold on finishing college - I don't want to put anymore money than I already have into it until I know for sure without a doubt what I want to do with the rest of my life.
    Sweaters, the chilly fresh air, having the windows open, food, family, pumpkin everything, boots, the leaves falling, hay rides, I could go on.. I love love love this season!
    I think the best part about it - is realizing who you are and what you want with life, standing up for yourself and not being worried about what others think. Doing your own thing (with FI of course) decorating and painting when and where and what time you want. Just living.. and becoming more wise, and meeting new people.
    Saturday we are grilling out with the lady whose horses I ride, and bringing our puppy dog to play with their dogs and horses. Maybe going up the 4H arena.
    Sunday - relaxing, cleaning, laundry. yard work. couponing. :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    1.When was the last time you tried something new?Ummm, last week I made a new queso dip..does that count?
    I don’t think there is ever a valid reason for abortion.

I think it is a sign of emotion. I’m not a crier so I don’t really relate it with anything.

Sleeping. ;-)

I’m going to go with Great Expectations.
    I would choose where I am… But I would move everyone back home – parents, FI, siblings. I miss having my family around me at all times.

Happy. I don’t care what I am doing as long as I am happy doing it.

I love doing the family holiday thing with FIs family (While I still love holidays with my parents)… They are so relaxed and laid back,  I just love sitting around getting drunk and playing card games with his family.
    Cheaper car insurance

Study for my exam on Monday, sleep, and go to the football game.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    I love number 2 because I disagree with you 3. :-) I love a good, healthy disagreement!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um.... dunno?  Crossfit was all pretty new, and all the different lifts are tough and new.  Today I was doing overhead squats, which are super tough and new to me.

I think that the US has this work/life 'balance' thing all wrong.  People identify themselves by their career - one of the first social interaction questions is, "What do you do?"  Well, I paint, and I read, and I like to travel, and I speak Spanish... oh, you mean, what do I get paid for?  I just don't think that's what life is about.  I realized around my 5 year high school reunion that people were just chalking each other up against everyone else to see who was more successful - professionally.  How happy you are, how healthy you are, what experiences you've had don't play into it.  If I could find a way to not work ever again, I'd be very happy.  I don't feel any pull to succeed professionally at anything.  I just want to enjoy life and have a happy/healthy family and have a comfortable amount of money to afford a comfortable lifestyle.  I hate when companies call someone a "hard worker" because they arrive early or stay late or work on weekends.  It doesn't make someone a bad employee to work hard during work hours and leave promptly at 5pm and to ignore work on weekends.  Europeans have the "balance" much better - 30 days vacation as compared to 10 lousy days. 

Neither.  It's a sign of emotion.  I think people who refuse to cry are weak because they're afraid of what others will think.  I think people who cry too frequently are weak because there are more productive ways to solve issues.  Everyone cries as a baby, why does that change when we get older?  We just build more skills to solve our problems rather than crying all the time.

Reading, doing arts & crafts projects.

Recently, "Shanghai Girls".  I think it gives a really good overview of the Chinese values and a bit of culture (though it's from the 1920's rather than now, it's not that different).  Also, "Sky Burial".  Absolutely the all time best book I've ever read, and explains both Chinese & Tibetan culture very well.

Oh gosh... I don't settle well.  I'm a nomad.  Right now, we want to live in Germany.  More realistically, we want to live in South Carolina for a bit (that's where FI requested for his temporary duty after the bar exam).  San Diego sounds great. 

A mom and a wife.  Maybe an author or graphic designer on the side, to fulfill my artistic side.

Thanksgiving!  I love that holiday.  No gifts, lots of food, family, no religion. 

Sex
    Cool

Deep clean on Saturday, go to Ft Lauderdale to watch the Patriots game at a New England sports bar on Sunday.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    1.        When was the last time you tried something new? This summer I snorkeled for the first time.  It was a wonderful experience.  It is funny that this year was the first time since my girl friends and I have been taking “girls trip” to tropical destination for years now and we never thought of going snorkeling.   

I believe in single gender education as long as the school is not taking tax payer's dollars I am fine with all boys and all girls schools.  I am considering that if/when we have children.    

I think it depends on the situation.  I do however, think that crying is a way for us to release our emotions and it is very therapeutic.   

Sitting on the beach either listening to music or reading a book.  Also, going to see live music with friends.  

I would say the Velveteen Rabbit.  It is such a great story and many lessons to be learned about hope, compassion and loyalty.  

An island where there is little humidity and the average temp is about 75 degrees.  I am not sure if one of those exists but that is where I want to live.  Other than that I am very happy with where I am right now.   I have sand in my shoes and the sun on my face makes me a very happy girl!  

I wanted to be a trial lawyer but after a mock trial class in college, I decided it was not for me.  I could not keep my emotions out of the “case” we were working on and I couldn’t keep my mouth shut.  

College football and Halloween.  I love dressing up!  I used to play dress up all of the time as a little girl.  Come to think of it, I need to get on that Halloween costume for this year!  

Knowing that I have true friends that will be there with me through the good times as well as the bad times.  I think it so easy to support someone when times are good but you find out who your true friends are when the not so good times roll around.  I thinking have friends where you can share memories and they have seen you at your best and have seen you at your worst but will never tell anyone about you “worst” moments.   

My mom is coming for a visit so drinking wine, cooking, taking in some college football and enjoying each other’s company.  
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:68dc36c5-4197-4f1f-8c8d-ec24c6fe4218">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]2. What’s a belief that you hold with which many people disagree? I think that the US has this work/life 'balance' thing all wrong.  People identify themselves by their career - one of the first social interaction questions is, "What do you do?"  Well, I paint, and I read, and I like to travel, and I speak Spanish... oh, you mean, what do I get paid for?  I just don't think that's what life is about.  I realized around my 5 year high school reunion that people were just chalking each other up against everyone else to see who was more successful - professionally.  How happy you are, how healthy you are, what experiences you've had don't play into it.  If I could find a way to not work ever again, I'd be very happy.  I don't feel any pull to succeed professionally at anything.  I just want to enjoy life and have a happy/healthy family and have a comfortable amount of money to afford a comfortable lifestyle.  I hate when companies call someone a "hard worker" because they arrive early or stay late or work on weekends.  It doesn't make someone a bad employee to work hard during work hours and leave promptly at 5pm and to ignore work on weekends.  Europeans have the "balance" much better - 30 days vacation as compared to 10 lousy days. Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES! I really hate how my professors are acting like if a student doesn't get a job right out of college the student is going to fail at life in general. Society is trying to force me to know exactly what I want to do the moment I graduate college which isn't fair... I am only 23 years old. 

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    1. When was the last time you tried something new? I'm always trying something new! But I guess the very last thing was when I went to a restaurant about a month ago and tried their signature burger: Peanut butter, jelly, bacon, and a hamburger patty that was 50/burger, 50/bacon. It was YUMMERS.

See Question #3

Weakness

TK, and blogging.

A Child Called It, and the series

6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I am really really hoping that we get stationed in Savannah, GA. I'm in love with that place.

A bad ass. :)

Fall weather is perfection. I love the fashion, the activities (Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favs.) Oh, and I am also getting married! Something else to love about the fall! :)

I love the fact that I am mature enough to live my own life and do my own thing. I hated the 18-25 year old me. I was a party animal, could not keep track of finances, made a lot of stupid mistakes in jobs and education... but now, I feel like I am a responsible adult, ready to start a family. (My time frame reflects me ONLY, please do not think I mean that all 18-25 y.o. are immature.)

I'm taking my sister shopping for makeup, going to a gourmet truck festival, and hanging out with my man :)
  • edited December 2011
    Wait, can I change my #2? I am very conservative, for the most part, but I think that there ARE valid reasons for abortion. Here's why: I get that if a woman has unprotected sex with a man, she should suffer the consequences for her actions. I get that it's sad that a an unborn baby doesn't get the chance to live it's life because of the mother's mistake. BUT, working in foster/adoptions, it's so sad these kids who suffer daily, because their parents were not fit to have kids in the first place. You would think that a good alternative to abortion is adoption, but these kids are still suffering, even if they were adopted from birth. I have so many kids that we deal with who have mental issues from the abandonment of their birth parents. The things that these kids see growing up is awful. Imagine, being taken away from your mom, who is all you know in life, because she screwed up for whatever reason and had social services take you. It's just not fair to put kids through all this. ANNNDD SCENE.
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:54ddf3c1-03e4-4064-9316-64e234e89e35">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don’t think there is ever a valid reason for abortion.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Seriously?  So... rape, incest, fetal abnormality?  None of those?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:c916f5bd-b35f-4d12-98e3-2eede96ea0e1">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Seriously?  So... rape, incest, fetal abnormality?  None of those?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Just came back on to post this question.

What if a 13 year old was raped by her dad. Do you think she should HAVE to carry it to term and then have a baby?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Also, those who agree with conservative gender roles. What should they look like to you?

Let's discuss these!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Hike - True story, I cried when we first got orders to WA.  (Hmmm, I'll go with weakness on those tears).  I had always lived in NY and my whole family was there, and I was sure I was going to hate it here.  Now over a year later I want to cry that we have to leave already.  I absolutely love it here and told H I wouldn't mind coming back here eventually.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • YoungDuoYoungDuo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like this post Sami :)

This past Sunday, I tried Tiramisu for the first time. FI loves it and insisted that I try it. It was very good :)

I'm a conservative person. And I agree that there are some gender specific roles I agree with. Like things to do around the house. I like to do laundry and cook and clean and I don't want to mow the yard or do yard work unless I absolutely HAVE to.
    No, I agree with PP. Crying is a sign of emotion and I think that it's healthy to have a good cry from time to time.

Sleeping, and being on TK...and more recently Pinterest :)

I loved All Quiet on the Western Front. But I'm also a huge fan of war stories.

I would LOVE to live in Spain. I've never been there but I've studied the culture and lifestyle and I think it would be awesome to live there.

Growing up I always wanted to be a teacher. Now I work in a bank and I love it. And I can't wait to be a mommy (even though I know that's not an actual paying job, I still can't wait to be one :))

I love fall weather..and especialy this fall because I'm getting married!!! And I love Christmas. I love the weather, decorating, parties with friends, exchanging presents, Christmas services..it's all wonderful!

I feel like I enjoy life more. And as sappy as it sounds, I'm excited about spending my life with my best friend. Plus it's always nice to make my own money and rules and not have to answer to my parents or go to school and do homework :-P

Going to NYC with FI to see his sister and her husband!!! I've never been and I am stoked about going!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 204 made the cut image 122 are ready to party image 65 are being lame
    image 17 can't find the mailbox
    RSVP Date: October 20
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    I tried Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack ice cream last week, and it was the worst mistake ever.  It is by far the best ice cream I've tried in a really long time, and that is very dangerous.

I think the breastfeeding movement can kiss my ass.  I think whether or not a woman chooses to breastfeed is completely her choice, and I hate all the pressure from pro-BF people to at least "try it."  I have zero intentions of trying it, and I plan on my kids being 100% formula kids.  My kids, my boobs, my choice.  

I think it completely depends.  When I cried because we got orders to WA last year, it was a sign of weakness because I was afraid to be so far from my family.  I think it completely depends on the situation though, and the reason for crying.  I don't think you can judge all crying as a sign of either.

TK, sports, reading

The Great Gatsby, but I think that's already one.  If so my other choice is Fahrenheit 451.

Hmmm, I guess I'll say here since I'm sad to leave here.

Haha I'm old so I'm already grown up.  I guess I'll say a mom since I already have my career.  However I think it's funny that when I was in kindergarten I always said I wanted to be a cheerleader when I grew up.  I turned out to be such a jock and the complete opposite of a cheerleader.

I LOVE fall!  Football, cooler weather, the holidays, I love it all!

When you still get ID'd and it makes your day!

Not much of anything.  Football on Sunday, and probably just being lazy.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:30358d05-e779-420b-b0b0-0b47ac388bed">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. When was the last time you tried something new?  I tried Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack ice cream last week, and it was the worst mistake ever.  It is by far the best ice cream I've tried in a really long time, and that is very dangerous. <strong>2. What’s a belief that you hold with which many people disagree?  I think the breastfeeding movement can kiss my ass.  I think whether or not a woman chooses to breastfeed is completely her choice, and I hate all the pressure from pro-BF people to at least "try it."  I have zero intentions of trying it, and I plan on my kids being 100% formula kids.  My kids, my boobs, my choice.</strong>   3. Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength? I think it completely depends.  When I cried because we got orders to WA last year, it was a sign of weakness because I was afraid to be so far from my family.  I think it completely depends on the situation though, and the reason for crying.  I don't think you can judge all crying as a sign of either. 4. Which activities make you lose track of time?  TK, sports, reading 5. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose?  The Great Gatsby, but I think that's already one.  If so my other choice is Fahrenheit 451. 6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?  Hmmm, I guess I'll say here since I'm sad to leave here. 7. What do you want to be when you grow up?  Haha I'm old so I'm already grown up.  I guess I'll say a mom since I already have my career.  However I think it's funny that when I was in kindergarten I always said I wanted to be a cheerleader when I grew up.  I turned out to be such a jock and the complete opposite of a cheerleader. 8. What is your favorite thing about the upcoming season? (Fall or Holidays)  I LOVE fall!  Football, cooler weather, the holidays, I love it all! 9. What's the best part of growing older?  When you still get ID'd and it makes your day! 10. What are your plans for the weekend? Not much of anything.  Football on Sunday, and probably just being lazy.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I am right there with you!  Some chick is always posting about this on her FB page and degrading the women who CHOOSE not to breast feed.  I choose not to BF my kid (when we have one) and I should not get looked at like I am a bad mother.  Again it is my choice.  It is annoying. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:d2cedb62-b72f-4b71-83b6-b753240aec2e">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Just came back on to post this question. What if a 13 year old was raped by her dad. Do you think she should HAVE to carry it to term and then have a baby?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes.. I knew I was going to get attacked by this. I always do..haha. I'm actually pretty moderate/liberal about most social issues, except abortion. And I understand that certain situations where an abortion may seem like it is the best idea forall involved and I fully understand how some cases the children are miserable. I get how messed up some situations can be (ie raped 13 y/o).  

But, This is sort of my general thinking on the subject: I'm an optimist. I have seen terrible situations where the child turned out happy and healthy. A friend of mine is a product of a failed abortion (I believe a product of rape, I think... I don't probe)...he has minor medical problems...but he is thankful for everyday and is truly the reason I believe EVERYONE should have the <em>chance </em>to live.

But yes, I have seen  both sides of it...and it isn't pretty...but it just takes one person to impact your life and change your mind.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:c143fd99-8427-480c-870c-968aa163e3fc">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Oh, yes.. I knew I was going to get attacked by this. I always do..haha. I'm actually pretty moderate/liberal about most social issues, except abortion. And I understand that certain situations where an abortion may seem like it is the best idea forall involved and I fully understand how some cases the children are miserable. I get how messed up some situations can be (ie raped 13 y/o).   But, This is sort of my general thinking on the subject: I'm an optimist. I have seen terrible situations where the child turned out happy and healthy. A friend of mine is a product of a failed abortion (I believe a product of rape, I think... I don't probe)...he has minor medical problems...but he is thankful for everyday and is<strong> truly the reason I believe EVERYONE should have the chance to live</strong>. But yes, I have seen  both sides of it...and it isn't pretty...but it just takes one person to impact your life and change your mind.

I agree whole heartdly with you and with this statement 120%. I also understand that horrible things happen that cause pregnancies but I also know friends who are trying to adopt and would give anything in the world to have their own babies. I understand some adoptions fail.. but I would hope that a child would at least be given the chance to have a life.

As far as gendor roles - I know I'm going to get reemed for this and it really has nothing to do with individual people, nor teachings nor being against the femine movement - I just think there are certain things women should do and men should do. I think that women should be responsible for indoor things, and men for the heavier things - such as yard work - although I do do this when FI isn't around. I think that women should be able to have the opportunity to stay home with the baby until the child starts school or is old enough to do prek. I don't think it is right for women to be held to different standards when wanting to be on the front line in war - if you cant carry your injured male soilder than you don't have a right to be on the front line - women ask for equality but than don't give it. Also women can not emotionally detach themselves from having to shoot a 4 year old child who is strapped with bombs wanting to kill her (i had a friend in Iraq put in this situation). I just don't think women belong on the front line. I also wonder if a woman could be president - I havent made my mind up on this yet - I would worry that she couldn't emotionally detach herself if she were a war time president. Stuff like that.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:c143fd99-8427-480c-870c-968aa163e3fc">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Oh, yes.. I knew I was going to get attacked by this. I always do..haha. I'm actually pretty moderate/liberal about most social issues, except abortion. And I understand that certain situations where an abortion may seem like it is the best idea forall involved and I fully understand how some cases the children are miserable. I get how messed up some situations can be (ie raped 13 y/o).   But, This is sort of my general thinking on the subject: I'm an optimist. I have seen terrible situations where the child turned out happy and healthy. A friend of mine is a product of a failed abortion (I believe a product of rape, I think... I don't probe)...he has minor medical problems...but he is thankful for everyday and is truly the reason I believe EVERYONE should have the chance to live. But yes, I have seen  both sides of it...and it isn't pretty...but it just takes one person to impact your life and change your mind.

I don't think questioning your statement is "attacking" you at all.

Also, I don't think you can justify a blanket statement like "I don't think there is ever a valid reason for abortion" with just one example (and an example that you admittedly don't know all that much about).

There are plenty of fetal abnormalities that allow a child to be carried to term but won't allow life outside the womb for more than a few days.  I think forcing a parent to carry such a pregnancy is term is unnecessarily cruel, to both the parents and the fetus.

ETA:  Check out <a href="http://www.aheartbreakingchoice.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.aheartbreakingchoice.com/</a> for examples.
  • edited December 2011
    1. When was the last time you tried something new?  My roadtrip through Canada was new.  I had to pull a trailer with 8000 pounds of stuff in it.  That was new and slightly terrifying.  Oh and I tried sushi for the first time not too long ago ;) .

2. What’s a belief that you hold with which many people disagree? I'm a Christian and most people don't agree. 

3. Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength? Neither.  Sometimes you just need to cry.  I always feel better after a good cry.

4. Which activities make you lose track of time? Working out, hanging out with friends, Hiking

5. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose? To Kill a Mocking Bird

6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Not sure yet, I love it here in Alaska, it's just so far from family.  I love traveling and when I lived in TN I really liked it there.  I don't have my heart set on any certain place yet.

7. What do you want to be when you grow up? A Movie Star.. lol j/k  A PA

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Snow, Warm clothes, snowboarding, snowshoeing!!  I'm excited! 
    9. What's the best part of growing older?  Moving away and coming into my own.  I love my parents, but moving away and gaining independence has been really good for me.

Going to Fairbanks to visit FI and help him move into his house, not sure what else we're going to do.  Might go to the Chena Hot Springs or go hiking.  The Northern Lights have been out the past couple of nights so we may camp out all night and see if we can see it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:c143fd99-8427-480c-870c-968aa163e3fc">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Oh, yes.. I knew I was going to get attacked by this. I always do..haha. I'm actually pretty moderate/liberal about most social issues, except abortion. And I understand that certain situations where an abortion may seem like it is the best idea forall involved and I fully understand how some cases the children are miserable. I get how messed up some situations can be (ie raped 13 y/o).   But, This is sort of my general thinking on the subject: I'm an optimist. I have seen terrible situations where the child turned out happy and healthy. A friend of mine is a product of a failed abortion (I believe a product of rape, I think... I don't probe)...he has minor medical problems...but he is thankful for everyday and is truly the reason I believe EVERYONE should have the chance to live. But yes, I have seen  both sides of it...and it isn't pretty...but it just takes one person to impact your life and change your mind.

I don't think I attacked you on this. I was just asking a question.

What about the (hypothetical) 13 year old girl? She should have to go through the trauma of this?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:4be8b065-5840-4461-8d0f-3690baacbdd2">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : I agree whole heartdly with you and with this statement 120%. I also understand that horrible things happen that cause pregnancies but I also know friends who are trying to adopt and would give anything in the world to have their own babies. I understand some adoptions fail.. but I would hope that a child would at least be given the chance to have a life. As far as gendor roles - I know I'm going to get reemed for this and it really has nothing to do with individual people, nor teachings nor being against the femine movement - I just think there are certain things women should do and men should do. I think that women should be responsible for indoor things, and men for the heavier things - such as yard work - although I do do this when FI isn't around. I think that women should be able to have the opportunity to stay home with the baby until the child starts school or is old enough to do prek. I don't think it is right for women to be held to different standards when wanting to be on the front line in war - if you cant carry your injured male soilder than you don't have a right to be on the front line - women ask for equality but than don't give it. Also women can not emotionally detach themselves from having to shoot a 4 year old child who is strapped with bombs wanting to kill her (i had a friend in Iraq put in this situation). I just don't think women belong on the front line. I also wonder if a woman could be president - I havent made my mind up on this yet - I would worry that she couldn't emotionally detach herself if she were a war time president. Stuff like that.
    Posted by amh04[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say that there could be male soldiers who can't emotionally detach. I don't think it's fair to say women can't. Some women can, some men can't. Just because someone is a man doesn't mean they don't emotionally detach.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I tried a new restaurant on Tuesday night.  Does that count?

I don't believe in any kind of deity.

It can be either, depending on the situation.  Interesting question.

Playing on the internet, watching TV, reading, writing.

Harry Potter!   Kidding... kinda.  Ummm...  Maybe To Kill a Mockingbird, but that's pretty close to being mandatory in all high schools anyway.

I could never decide.  I have a whole list of places and would love to move every 5 years or so. 

Self-employed in some way.  I'm working on making that happen now.

All of the family time and the cute clothes.

The independence is something I enjoy everyday.  It'll hit me like a wave every few days, when FI and I are sitting down to dinner or something, that we're completely self-supportive.  I really like that.

Nothing special.  Watching football, playing on Pottermore, etc.
    edited December 2011
    Beach- You guys will be in Virginia right?

Maybe the next time, we will request Seattle. The thought of being away from my parents overwhelmed me. However, I don't think they would have given us Seattle anyway because they are trying to limit cross country moves.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hike - That's a good point and it's very true - some people just can't emotionally detach. I just think that women have a harder time with that - and when it comes to the front lines I am really dead set on the thought that everyone male and women alike need to be held to the same exact standards. Not that men need to do 20 pull ups and women need to do 10 - no they both need to be able to do 20. Just as an example. I'm all for equality (which kind of sounds hypocritical) but I think that equality is just that - equality - not equality but you don't have to meet the same standards (and this can be for anything)
    edited December 2011
    I get what you're saying. I think though then the assessment would be something like carrying a body not necessarily pull ups.

I just think there should be an emotional assessment then too. (maybe there is??) but to assume a man can detach just because he is a man isn't fair to women. Just like saying women can't detach because they are women.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:1ccf3a98-e04d-4b78-9a92-709f5b81edd6">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : I don't think I attacked you on this. I was just asking a question. What about the (hypothetical) 13 year old girl? She should have to go through the trauma of this?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Oh no I didn't mean you attacked me..I just meant I am used to being attacked for my view point.

As for the 13 year old... I don't know, in the ideal situation the father would go to jail, the 13 year old would receive counseling, and she would carry the baby until term and then there would be a a great adoptive family out there. But that isn't how real life works. I understand that the pregnancy may be a reminder of her rape...but she is still going to be reminded of it anyway. She has already experienced the trama, terminating the pregnancy isn't going to help her fix the problems. She would need professional help - not a band-aid.

All in all she still has to the right to choose... so I couldn't make the decision for her. But personally, I don't believe I would abort in that situation.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-929-thought-provoking-thursdayor-whatever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:67ab9ae5-56bc-4c13-abab-432db621aeedPost:98326e1f-3965-4742-858c-541f8bb86f96">Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 9/29 Thought Provoking Thursday...or whatever.. : Oh no I didn't mean you attacked me..I just meant I am used to being attacked for my view point. As for the 13 year old... I don't know, in the ideal situation the father would go to jail, the 13 year old would receive counseling, and she would carry the baby until term and then there would be a a great adoptive family out there. But that isn't how real life works. I understand that the pregnancy may be a reminder of her rape...but she is still going to be reminded of it anyway. She has already experienced the trama, terminating the pregnancy isn't going to help her fix the problems. She would need professional help - not a band-aid. All in all she still has to the right to choose... so I couldn't make the decision for her. But personally, I don't believe I would abort in that situation.

Not to be a bitch, but... Are you kidding me? "The ideal situation?" The ideal situation is that rape, fetal deformities, and unplanned pregnancies never happen in the first place. If you're basing your view points on ideal situations, you don't even need to worry about abortion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards