California-Northern

Catholic Priest in Northern California

Hi Everyone!

I am getting married at a vineyard in Sonoma in October 2012.  We are hoping to have a judge that we know as the primary officiant at our wedding.  However, my family is Catholic and would love to have a priest come to simply say a prayer and bless our marriage.  I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a Catholic priest that would be willing to do this???

Thanks so much!

Re: Catholic Priest in Northern California

• Not many priests will do this, although there are some. You may have the best luck asking the priest at your parish if you attend one, or you may try writing a letter to your diocese for permission from the Bishop.

The thing about Catholicism is that marriage is a sacrament and that sacrament is to be received in church, and vary rarely will you find a priest that will take time out of their schedule, to just simply say a prayer and bless a marriage, if they are not receiving the sacrament. 

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know this will be nearly impossible, as I know how strict most Catholic priests are about this.  I am just hoping someone may know of a liberal priest!
  • kholthaus82,

They serve the "Contemporary Catholics".  Reverend Gerald Caprio will be the officiant for our July wedding.  He's really great to work with.  Hope it helps.  =)

• aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Just so you know, this group is not affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church, nor do they claim to be. So if this is not an issue for you and your family, than OK, but if its more important for your family that you have a Roman Catholic Priest officiate your wedding or participate in your wedding, than I would go that route first instead of going with the White Robed Monks.

You can't really have true elements of a catholic wedding in a wedding that is done outside the church and officiated by a priest that isn't affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church..but again if your ok with that, then so be it. ..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards